Embedded software engineering and enterprise/IT software development teams alike face mounting challenges as their
code bases increase in size and complexity, include more third-party code, and must be designed in compliance with more
process standards. Interest in the IoT and concern about software security vulnerabilities are driving a convergence in
development practices and concerns. This report analyzes the emerging trends, use cases, and the commercial market
for testing tools, including static analysis, dynamic, and model-based tools. It also covers the previously mentioned tool
types used for general software quality testing and defect detection, as well as those used for application security testing
and vulnerability management. Market dynamics are discussed in the context of leading vendors, current technologies,
competitive landscape, and data from VDC's 2017 Software and System Development Survey.
WHAT QUESTIONS ARE ADDRESSED?
- How large are the embedded/IoT and enterprise/IT markets for automated test tools?
- In what ways is the use of open-source software impacting the commercial automated test tool market?
- What are the leading drivers and inhibitors of security testing tool adoption?
- Which vendors are best positioned to support the evolving preferences of software development teams?
- What factors are impacting demand for automated software and security testing tools across the vertical markets?
- How does the adoption of Agile and DevOps impact demand and preferences for automated software and security testing tools?
- Which qualities are most influential on purchasing decisions for static analysis and dynamic testing tools?
VENDORS LISTED IN THIS REPORT:
- ANSYS (Esterel)
- BTC-Embedded Systems AG
- CA Technologies (Veracode)
- GAIO Technology
- IAR Systems
- Keynote DeviceAnywhere
- Micro Focus (HPE)
- Parasoft Corporation
- Programming Research (PRQA)
- QA Systems
- Rogue Wave (Klocwork)
- Software Development Technologies
- Vector Informatik (Vector Software)
Table of Contents
- Inside This Report
- Executive Summary
- Global Market Overview
- Regional Forecasts
- Comparative Forecast by Vertical Markets
- Competitive Landscape by Technology
- End-User Insights
- About VDC Research
LIST OF EXHIBITS
- Exhibit 1: Global Software & Security Testing Tools Forecast by Market
- Exhibit 2: Worldwide Shipments of Software and Security Testing Tools and Related Services, Segmented by Customer Type
- Exhibit 3: Global Static Analysis Forecast, Segmented by Market
- Exhibit 4: Global Dynamic and Model-Based Test Tools Forecast, Segmented by Market
- Exhibit 5: Global Security-Focused Static Analysis Forecast, Segmented by Market
- Exhibit 6: Proportion of Static Analysis Revenue with a Security Focus, by Market, Segmented by Market
- Exhibit 7: Code Source Distribution in Final Design of Current Project, Segmented by Market
- Exhibit 8: Americas Market Software & Security Testing Tools Forecast, by Tool Type
- Exhibit 9: EMEA Market Software & Security Testing Tools Forecast, by Tool Type
- Exhibit 10: APAC Market Software & Security Testing Tools Forecast, by Tool Type
- Exhibit 11: Embedded/IoT Static Analysis Tool Forecast, Segmented by Vertical Market
- Exhibit 12: Embedded/IoT Dynamic and Model-Based Test Tool Forecast, Segmented by Vertical Market
- Exhibit 13: Embedded/IoT Static Analysis Tools, 2016 Market Share
- Exhibit 14: Enterprise/IT Static Analysis Tools, 2016 Market Share
- Exhibit 15: Embedded/IoT Dynamic and Model-Based Test Tools, 2016 Market Share
- Exhibit 16: Enterprise/IT Dynamic and Model-Based Test Tools, 2016 Market Share
- Exhibit 17: Static Analysis or SAST Selection Criteria, Segmented by Market
- Exhibit 18: Dynamic Test or DAST Selection Criteria, Segmented by Market
- Exhibit 19: Test Tool Use Rates on Current Product, Segmented by Market
- Exhibit 20: Importance of Security in Project
- Exhibit 21: Actions Organization has Taken in Response to Security Requirements
- Exhibit 22: How Well Organization Has Addressed Security Requirements