This report examines Internet of Things (IoT) services developed, sold, and deployed for a variety of applications and markets, and sizes the market for revenue derived from such services supplied by third-party vendors. The report includes quantitative and qualitative analyses, discussions of major market dynamics, insights into vendor strategy, and end-user trends.
What questions are addressed?
- What is the current size of the IoT services market, and how fast will it grow through 2021?
- Which vertical and regional markets are growing the fastest?
- What categories of services (connectivity, device management, storage, analytics, etc.) are the most popular?
- How do IoT engineers view the evolution of the market?
Who should read this report?
This research program is written for those making critical business decisions regarding products, markets, channels, and competitive strategies and tactics. This report is intended for senior decision makers who are developing embedded technology, including those in the following roles:
- CEO or other C-level executives
- Corporate development and M&A teams
- Marketing executives
- Business development and sales leaders
- Product development and product strategy leaders
- Channel management and channel strategy leaders
vendors Listed in This Report
- Amazon (AWS)
- General Electric
- Harman (Samsung)
- Wind River
The global market for IoT services amounted to $XX in 2016. VDC estimates that this market will grow at a five-year CAGR of 28.8%, resulting in $XX in revenue in 2021.
The automotive and transportation market is currently the largest vertical market and will be the fastest growing through the forecast period with a CAGR of 39.4%. The vertical markets with the highest installed bases of heavy machinery, such as the medical device and industrial automation markets, will also see robust growth through 2021 as the return on investment for the OEM or equipment owner justifies the increased sevices cost.
The geographical split of IoT service revenue was fairly even in 2016, with $XX attributed to the Americas region, $XX attributed to EMEA, and $XX attributed to APAC. The APAC region will see the strongest growth through 2021, expanding at a CAGR of 44.8% and gaining 4% of total market share relative to the Americas and EMEA regions.
- The IoT services market is unique in that it is one of the fastest growing markets under study within the IoT & Embedded Technologies group at VDC, and also one of the largest due to revenue generation from the massive (and growing) installed base of IoT devices, rather than yearly unit shipments.
- The IoT data analytics will grow the fastest over the next five years, from a revenue base of $XX to $XX in 2021 at a CAGR of 36.3%, due to its lucrative applications in the industrial and medical markets.
- Data collection and storage will grow the least quickly due to the commodity nature of storage services, but growth will still occur at a rapid 25.3% CAGR as more IoT organizations move their operations to managed, network-based storage solutions.
- "Finding new strategic opportunities or services-oriented business models" is the leading driver of IoT adoption among members of the non-engineering management at OEMs and embedded systems integrators. For engineering managers, this driver is as important as enterprise/customer requirements.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Global Market Overview
- Vertical Markets
- Regional Markets
- Selected Vendor Insights
- IoT and Embedded Engineer Trends
- About VDC Research
list of report exhibits
- Exhibit 1 Worldwide Revenue from IoT-Specific Services
- Exhibit 2 Worldwide Revenue Share from IoT-Specific Services, by Service Type
- Exhibit 3 Worldwide Revenue from IoT-Specific Services, by Vertical Market
- Exhibit 4 Worldwide Revenue from IoT-Specific Services, by Geographic Region
- Exhibit 5 Use of IoT Cloud Services to Build Embedded/IoT Project
- Exhibit 6 Types of IoT Services Used on Current Project, by Vertical Market
- Exhibit 7 Primary Factor Driving Respondent's Organization to Utilize/Deploy IoT Capabilities
list of Additional exhibits
- Exhibit 8 Types of IoT Services Used on Current Project, by Vertical Market
- Exhibit 9 Worldwide Revenue from IoT-Specific Services, by Service Type
- Exhibit 10 Worldwide Revenue Share from IoT-Specific Services, by Vertical Market
- Exhibit 11 Worldwide Revenue Share from IoT-Specific Services, by Geographic Region
- Exhibit 12 Types of Cloud Analytics Services Used For IoT Data on Current Project, by Primary
- Processor Type
- Exhibit 13 Plans to Resell IoT Services to End Customers, by IoT Service Type