Security is an increasingly important component of the software stacks in embedded devices, particularly for those
devices that are connected to the Internet of Things. This report examines the market for embedded security software,
both at the level of individual devices (such as sensors or factory machines), and at the level of more complex systems
of embedded devices (such as automobiles or industrial control systems).
Coverage includes current market revenue sizing and forecast, vertical markets, and geographic regional factors. Market
dynamics are discussed in the context of leading vendors, current technologies, competitive landscape, and data from VDC's 2016 IoT & Embedded Engineer survey.
What questions are addressed?
- How large is the market for embedded security software, and how fast is it growing?
- What factors are driving adoption of embedded security software?
- Which vertical markets are the fastest growing for embedded security?
- Which vendors are the leading providers of embedded security software?
- How important is embedded security to OEMs and device engineering organizations?
- How are network-based security services interacting with embedded security software?
Vendors Listed in this Report:
- Allegro Software
- Argus Cyber Security
- BlackBerry (including QNX
- and Certicom)
- Bosch (including ETAS
- and ESCRYPT)
- Green Hills Software
- HCC Embedded
- Icon Labs
- Inside Secure
- McAfee (formerly Intel Security)
- Security Innovation (and OnBoard Security)
- Trend Micro
- Wind River (Intel)
Table of Contents
- Inside This Report
- Executive Summary
- Introduction: IoT Security Comes to the Forefront
- Embedded Security Software Market Definition
- Global Market Overview
- Software Categories
- Vertical Markets
- Vendor Share
- Selected Vendor Notes
- End User Insights
- About VDC Research
LIST OF EXHIBITS
- Exhibit 1: Worldwide Revenues for Embedded Security Software 2016-2021 (US $M)
- Exhibit 2: Worldwide Revenue Share for Embedded Security Software, by Software Category 2016 & 2021
- Exhibit 3: Worldwide Revenue Share for Embedded Security Software, by Revenue Type 2016 & 2021
- Exhibit 4: Worldwide Revenue Share for Embedded Security Software, by Geographic Region 2016 & 2021 (Percent of Revenue)
- Exhibit 5: Worldwide Revenue for Embedded Security Software, by Geographic Region 2016 to 2021 (US $M)
- Exhibit 6: Worldwide Revenue Share for Embedded Security Software, by Vertical Market 2016 & 2021
- Exhibit 7: Worldwide Revenues for Embedded Security Software, by Vertical Market 2016 & 2021 (US $M)
- Exhibit 8: Estimated Revenue Share for Embedded Security Software Vendors, 2016
- Exhibit 9: Importance of Security in Current Embedded Project (Percent of Respondents)
- Exhibit 10: Security Enhancements Included in Current and Expected Future Embedded Projects (Percent of Respondents)
- Exhibit 11: Primary Reason Security Not More Important (Percent of Respondents)