Product Code: MMIN0008MR
This report analyses purchasing strategies and expectations for future expenditure on plant, equipment, parts and services in the African mining sector. It is based on an extensive survey conducted by GlobalData between July and September 2014, covering 108 mine managers, maintenance managers, procurement managers and other key decision-makers in over 100 operating African mines.
Areas of analysis include -
- Current methods for acquiring equipment, with a review of outright purchasing, rental, leasing and other types of financing arrangements.
- Future trends in expenditure and expectations for increased or decreased spend in four areas: plant and heavy equipment, equipment parts and components, explosives materials, and maintenance services.
- An analysis of future changes to the number of supplier relationships, and whether respondents expect greater or fewer supplier relationships over the next 12 months.
- Investigation into the biggest challenges facing buyers and decision makers in sourcing the right products.
- Extent to which preferred supplier arrangements are in place and predictions for increased centralization of procurement.
- The report is based on an in-depth survey of 108 buyers and decision-makers across 100 mines in 16 African countries, including South Africa, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Tanzania Zambia and Zimbabwe
Reasons to buy
- Compare the methods African miners use to acquire equipment, and how this is expected to change
- Plan ahead based on general expectations within the African mining industry for future expenditure, and how this varies by segment, such as mine type, commodity and company size.
- Understand how different customer segments in African mining plan to rationalize or extend their supplier networks
- Identify the major challenges African miners face when sourcing equipment, and incorporate solutions to these in your sales, marketing and product strategies
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents
1 Executive Summary
2 Current Purchasing preferences
2.1 Purchasing Methods for Heavy Mobile Equipment
2.2 Rental Agreements
3 Future Spending Predictions
3.1 Expected Changes in Expenditure
3.2 Spending Across all Categories to Increase
3.3 Anticipated Changes to the Number of Supplier Relationships
4 Challenges In Sourcing The Right Products
5 Centralisation and Preferred Suppliers
5.1 Changes in Centralisation
5.2 Preferred Supplier Arrangements
5.3 Prevalence of Dominant Single Suppliers
7 Appendix I
List of Tables
1.1 List of Tables
- Table 1: Expected Change in Use of Purchase Method in Next Two Years (%), 2014
- Table 2: Expected Change in Expenditure by Area in Next 12 Months (%), 2014
- Table 3: Changes in the Number of Supplier Relationships Expected in Next 12 Months (%), 2014
- Table 4: Biggest Challenges in Sourcing the Right Equipment (%), 2014
List of Figures
1.2 List of Figures
- Figure 1: Purchasing Methods Used (%), 2014
- Figure 2: Other Purchasing Methods in Combination with Outright Purchase (%), 2014
- Figure 3: Purchasing Method by Mine Type (%), 2014
- Figure 4: Purchasing Method Type by Company Size (%), 2014
- Figure 5: Purchasing Method by Geography (%), 2014
- Figure 8: Share of Use of Rental Agreements by Company Size (%), 2014
- Figure 9: Changes in Expenditure by Category over the Next 12 Months
- Figure 10: Increase vs Decrease in Expenditure by Category (%), 2014
- Figure 11: Expected Increase in Expenditure by Company Size (%), 2014
- Figure 12: Expected Increase in Expenditure by Commodity (%), 2014
- Figure 13: Key Commodity Prices, 2010-2014 (Indexed)
- Figure 14: Changes in the Number of Supplier Relationships Expected Over the Next 12 Months
- Figure 15: Do you Anticipate Switching to a Different Supplier within the Next Five Years?
- Figure 16: Expected Increase in Number of Supplier Relationships by Mine Type, 2014
- Figure 17: Expected Increase in Number of Supplier Relationships by Commodity, 2014
- Figure 18: Biggest Challenges in Sourcing the Right Products, 2014
- Figure 19: Biggest Challenges in Sourcing the Right Equipment by Company Size (%), 2014
- Figure 20: Changes Expected in Level of Centralization Over Next Two Years, 2014
- Figure 21: Expected Increase in Level of Centralization by Company Size, 2014
- Figure 22: Preferred Supplier Arrangement, 2014
- Figure 23: Preferred Supplier Arrangement, 2014
- Figure 24: Preference for Dominant Single Supplier, 2014
- Figure 25: Preference for Dominant Single Supplier by Company Size (%), 2014
- Figure 24: Use of Dominant Single Supplier by Commodity (%), 2014
- Figure 27: Survey Respondents by Country (%), 2014
- Figure 28: Survey Respondents by Mine Type (%), 2014
- Figure 29: Survey Respondents by Commodity (%), 2014