This report presents a board range of topics, both sector-specific and cross-cutting market issues.
Besides updating Vietnam flexible packaging market size and competition dynamics, StoxPlus provides an in-depth analysis on flexible packaging demand from both F&B and non-food sectors. Furthermore, 5 year forecast of end-use demand (potential revenue pool) is also included. The report is expected to provide useful market information for new companies looking to penetrate into the market, as well as existing flexible packaging manufacturers to get an updated view on competition.
Below are the most critical findings in our first issue:
- 1) Vietnam plastic packaging is the highest value sector in packaging industry with market size of US$4.0bn for the year 2014. Thanks to increasing packaging demand from F&B sector, this sector posted a strong growth rate with CAGR of 12.4% during the period 2010 - 2014. Of which, flexible packaging especially multi-layered segment is the most attractive and potential one.
- 2) As a part of the value chain, Vietnam plastic packaging manufacturers are crucial to manage the stability of their input raw material costs and pass through as much of the raw material price inflation as possible to customers. On the supply side, Vietnamese firms heavily rely on imported raw materials (90%) and imported machinery & equipment. Meanwhile, on demand side, major plastic end-users are giant multinational corporation such as Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Unilever that have high bargaining powers. As such, Vietnamese packaging firms are in a vulnerable position.
- 3) According to our analysis, multi-layered segment is estimated to size at US$800mn in 2014, posting a growth rate of 10.1% compared to 2013. Vietnam flexible packaging market can be segmented into 2 categories namely mono-layered (agricultural films, shopping bags, garbage bags) and multi-layered. Of which, multi-layered segment mainly serves high quality and strict hygiene safety requirements such as F&B, pharmaceuticals.
- 4) Regarding competition dynamics, the market is dominated by top 10 players which accounted for more than 45% of total market share in 2014. There are two main group of players namely (i) domestic including Tapack, Rang Dong, Liksin, An Phat; and (ii) foreign-owned including Ngai Mee, Huhtamaki, Tong Yuan, J.S Packaging. Each group of players has different competitive advantages as well as client portfolio.
- 5) Domestic flexible packaging demand is very potential thanks to strong growth of various end-used sectors and packaging outsourcing trend. Particularly, among 11 end-use sectors that are in-depth analyzed in the report, Impulse & Indulgence products, Noodles and Seafood are the highest flexible packaging usage sectors with potential future outlook.
- 6) The potential revenue pool is still much higher than current market size in 2014. According to StoxPlus' analysis and interviews experts in flexible packaging, excluding flexible packaging usage in pharmaceuticals and industrials, the potential revenue pool of flexible packaging could reach as much as US$1.47bn. This indicates that there are lots of rooms to tap for both domestic and foreign-owned flexible packaging manufacturers.
- 7) Vietnam flexible packaging companies have not improved their efficiency in 2014. Our data showed that historical EBITDA margin on average is at 9.4% in 2014, showing a decrease by 2% compared to 2013. However, this EBITDA margin is considerably lower than other peers in regions. The main reason is that due to high crap rate, high CoGS/net sales, and high investment cost.
- 8) In recent years, the market recorded active participation of international giants including Meiwa Pax and SCG. In 2014 - 2015, Meiwa Pax and SCG successfully acquired Saigon Trapaco and Batico, respectively. Higher foreign investors' interest could be explained by the fact that international packaging giants tend to implement “hybrid” model which serves short-term export and long-term increasing packaging demand of Vietnam.
Table of Contents
1. Vietnam Plastic Packaging Market
- 1.1. Market Structure
- 1.2. Market Size & Segmentation
- 1.3. Value Chain Analysis
- 1.4. SWOT
2. Vietnam Flexible Packaging Market
- 2.1. Market Structure & Overview
- 2.2. Market Size & Growth
- 2.3. Segmentation
- 2.4. Competition Dynamics
3. Analysis of potential flexible demand from end-used markets
- 3.1. Demand from F&B
- 3.2. Demand from Non-food Sectors
- 3.3. Revenue Breakdown of a Typical Flexible Packaging Company by End-use Market
- 3.4. Potential Revenue Pool
4. Financial Performance
5. Top 5 Players in Flexible Packaging
- 5.1. Key Financial Figures
- 6.1. Macroeconomics Situation
- 6.2. Regulatory Framework
7. Key Development Trends
- 7.1. Foreign Interest in Packaging Industry
- 8.1. Appendix 1: Key Figures on Soft Drink Market in Vietnam
- 8.2. Appendix 2: Key Figures on Packaged Food Market
- 8.3. Appendix 3: Factsheet of Listed Flexible Packaging Companies