This publication furnishes readers with the latest value and growth data for the Ukrainian construction market and each of its segments - residential, non-residential and civil engineering. It supplies information on wages, prices and employment, value and predicted growth, trends, recently approved regulatory changes and total industry output.
The report also supplies detailed forecasts for development in all segments from 2016-2021.
Report content covers key market components...
- Value and performance as indicated by the latest data
- The competitive environment - high-profile development ventures, company strategies for the future
- Ukraine's cement production - information about current and forecasted demand, exports and imports on the market
- Construction market output in Ukraine
- Major projects in terms of location
- Upcoming changes to market investment trends and regulations.
Make decisions based on knowledge of facts like these...
- Mortgage interest rates are currently above 20% in Ukraine, with the National Bank's benchmark discount rate at 30%.
- Residential construction supply contains 24(m2) space per capita and 22(m2) in urban locations.
- For every 1000 residents, there are no more than 65m2 GLA of quality retail shopping space.
- Ukraine produces about 40% of its natural gas according to demand.
- A recent survey determined that most of the roadways in Ukraine are in need of repair or need to be completely rebuilt.
Residential construction related content includes...
- Residential housing supply data
- Housing development programmes run by the government
- The most attractive residential development projects in Ukraine
- Consumer demand for specific types of residential structures.
The report addresses non-residential construction issues...
- Supply and demand issues of commercial and industrial properties on the current market
- Retail space available in Ukraine and new developments
- Planned construction of intended rental properties
- Non-residential construction projects completed most recently
- Key developers - international and domestic companies involved specifically in non-residential construction.
Did you know...
More than 80% of the country's roads are thought to be in need of extensive repair or reconstruction. As a result of the occupation of Crimea, Ukraine lost control of 15 oil and gas fields in the region. Ukraine has about 64 m2 of quality shopping centre GLA per 1,000 inhabitants. Ukraine has less than 24 m2 of residential space per capita, including with no more than 22 m2 in urban areas. Less than 5% of home sales in Ukraine are concluded with mortgage loans.
Companies analyzed in report...
Altcom, Altis,, Arricano Real Estate, Azerkorpu-Autobahn, Budhouse Group, Cement Roadstone Holdings, Chevron, Donspetsmontazh, Dyckerhoff, ExxonMobil, Gulsan Construction, HeidelbergCement, Integral-Bud, K.A.N. Development, Karavan Real Estate, Krai Property, Kyivgorstroy (Kyivmiskbud), Kyivmetrobud, Naftogas Ukrainy, Onur Construction International, Shell, Todini Construzioni Generali, TPS Nedvizhimost, Ukrzaliznitsya, XXI Vek
Civil engineering construction updates include...
- Number and value of environmental protection projects on this market
- Projects aimed at expanding the Ukrainian infrastructure
- Opportunities in road construction according to government plans
- Pipelines and energy production projects
- Air travel infrastructure projects.
This document is especially helpful to users...
- Executing PR and trade campaigns focused on attracting new interest in the Ukrainian construction industry
- Seeking opportunities in project design and management
- Locating projects that require contracting services
- Forecasting demand for building materials in Ukrainian construction
- Conducting research on behalf of government or academic institutions.
The target audience for this report includes...
- New construction businesses entering the Ukrainian market
- Educational and government institutions
- Financial services providers of all types
- Contractors currently operating on this market
- Business consultants, researchers and analysts.
Extract from this report
- Between 2008 and 2015, the Ukrainian construction sector succeeded to expand year on year in real terms only once, in 2011, when it posted a double-digit growth rate (about 20% year on year).
- In the near future, Ukraine's government is poised to speed up legislation which will help to reform its economy, reduce government debt, corruption and money laundering practices, and open up its market to foreign investment.
- In the World Economic Forum's 2015 Global Competitiveness Report, Ukraine was in the 82nd place among 140 countries in terms of the quality of overall infrastructure (70th of 148 in 2012 and 79th of 133 of the countries covered in 2009). In terms of the quality of roads, the country was in the 132nd place (in comparison with 125th in 2009), in terms of the quality of air transport infrastructure it was in the 97th place, and in terms of the quality of port infrastructure in 108th. Only with regard to the quality of the railway infrastructure was it placed in a higher position: 28th.
Market commentary by expert
"In recent years, the construction activity in Ukraine has been severely affected by the crisis in eastern Ukraine. A 33% devaluation of the national currency against the dollar in 2014, followed by a further 48% drop against the greenback in the first ten months of 2015, a GDP contraction in excess of 6.8% in 2014 and a further decline of more than 11% in 2015 have severely affected the construction industry.
Nevertheless, despite the sharp economic slowdown in Ukraine in the last few years, the prospects for the country's construction industry remain relatively good, particularly in the medium and long term, considering that most of its production facilities are in need of reconstruction or extensive modernisation, and that the same could be said for its transport infrastructure. Furthermore, average per capita housing space in Ukraine is less than 24 m2, whereas in most European countries the figure exceeds 30 m2. In the coming years, Ukraine's government is poised to speed up legislation which will help to reform its economy, reduce government debt and open up its market to foreign investment."
Vitalie Iambla, Construction Analyst, PMR
Table of Contents
- Construction overview
- Civil-engineering construction
- Non-residential construction
- Residential construction
- Construction output
- Construction companies
- Employment and wages
- Construction prices
- Overview of the building materials industry
- Legal changes
- Macroeconomic outlook
- Development forecast for the construction output in 2016-2021
Civil engineering construction
- Environmental protection-related projects
- Road transport
- Railway transport
- Air transport
- Investments in heavy industry
- Oil and gas
- Energy industry
- Forecasts for civil engineering construction output in 2016-2021
- Situation on the non-residential construction market
- Office construction
- Shopping centre construction
- Logistics centre construction
- Hotel construction
- Forecasts for the non-residential construction output in 2016-2021
- Housing stock
- Housing completion
- Individual housing construction projects
- Overview of major residential projects
- Housing construction development programmes
- Housing prices
- Mortgage market
- Forecasts for the residential construction output in 2016-2021
- Market competition
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Financial standing
- Major contractors and producers of building materials
- Key contractors
- Key producers of cement and ceramic tiles
Database - 100 construction projects planned in Ukraine 2015
- Total construction output in Ukraine (UAH bn) and real change (%, y-o-y), 2011-2021
- Construction output in Ukraine (UAH bn) and real change (%, y-o-y), 2010-October 2015
- Structure of construction output in Ukraine (%), by type of work, 2011-October 2015
- Financial performance of the construction industry in Ukraine (UAH bn), 2010-2014
- Average monthly wages in Ukraine (UAH), 2007-September 2015
- Indices of total construction output in Ukraine (%, base year 2008), 2008-2015
- Total construction output in Ukraine (UAH bn) and real change (%, y-o-y), 2011-2021
- Share of civil engineering in total construction market in Ukraine (%), 2010-October 2015
- Volume of reused water disposals into surface water reservoirs in Ukraine (million m3/year), 2006-2014
- Capacity of wastewater treatment plants in Ukraine (million m3), 2006-2014
- Volume of emissions of pollutants into atmosphere from stationary sources in Ukraine (million tonnes/year), 2006-2014
- Share of Ukraine's housing stock with access to a centralised water supply (%), 2006-2014
- Share of Ukraine's housing stock with access to a centralised wastewater network (%), 2006-2014
- Share of Ukraine's housing stock with access to a centralised hot water supply (%), 2006-2014
- Length of Ukrainian public roads and hard-surface roads ('000 km), 2001, 2005, 2008 and 2011-2014
- Length of renovated and constructed roads and motorways put into use in Ukraine (km), 2008-2014
- New cross-republic and regional road segments put into use in Ukraine (km), 2000, 2005, 2010-2014
- New local road segments put into use in Ukraine (km), 2000, 2005, 2010-2014
- Total civil engineering construction output in Ukraine (UAH bn) and real change (%, y-o-y), 2011-2021
- Value (€ m) and real change (%, y-o-y) of non-residential construction output in Ukraine, 2011-October 2015
- Share of non-residential construction output in total construction market in Ukraine (%), 2010-October 2015
- Number and GLA ('000 m2 ) of Kyiv shopping centres, 2008-H1 2015
- Shopping space saturation in major cities in Ukraine (GLA m2/1,000 residents, e-o-p), 2013 and H1 2015
- Expansion of Kyiv warehouse property market ('000 m2, e-o-p), 2006-2015
- Average vacancy rates in warehouse properties on Kyiv market (%, e-o-p), 2006-H1 2015
- Number of rooms in hotels in Kyiv (rooms, e-o-p), by hotel category, H1 2014 and H1 2015
- Total non-residential construction output in Ukraine (UAH bn) and real change (%, y-o-y), 2011-2021
- Breakdown of number of homes in Ukraine (%), by number of rooms per residence, 1 January 2015
- Breakdown of total housing space in Ukraine (%), by number of rooms per residence, 1 January 2015
- Distribution of urban and rural households in Ukraine (%), by completion date of the residence, 2013
- Total floor space of housing registered in Ukraine (million m2) and change (%, y-o-y), 2007-Q3 2015
- Total floor space of housing registered in Ukraine (million m2) and change (%, y-o-y), except for space registered based on the Temporary Order, 2007-Q3 2015
- Total number of new housing units registered in Ukraine ('000 units) and change (%, y-o-y), 2007-September 2015
- Average total living floor area of newly registered residences in Ukraine (m2), by urban and rural area, 2010-H1 2015
- Average size of residences completed in Ukraine (m2), 2007-September 2015
- Breakdown of newly registered residential space in Ukraine by type of development work (%), 2010-H1 2015
- Single-residence house construction in Ukraine ('000 m2) and change (%, y-o-y), 2007-September 2015
- Share of single-residence houses in total newly registered housing space in Ukraine (%), 2007-September 2015
- Number of home sale contracts registered by notaries in Ukraine ('000), 2007-H1 2015
- Number of mortgage-backed deals registered by notaries in Ukraine ('000 transactions), 2007 and 2012-2014
- Total value of new loans with original maturity of over five years granted to households in Ukraine (UAH bn) and change (%, y-o-y), 2008-September 2015
- Total value of outstanding loans granted to population for house purchase in Ukraine (UAH bn, e-o-p) and change (%, y-o-y), 2007-September 2015
- Average interest rates of new real estate loans granted to households in Ukraine (%), 2007-September 2015
- Average interest rates on new loans with original maturity of over five years granted to households in Ukraine (%), 2008-September 2015
- Total housing floor area (million m2) to be commissioned in Ukraine, 2015-2020
- Total residential construction output in Ukraine (UAH bn) and real change (%, y-o-y), 2011-2021
- Production of cement in Ukraine (%), by company, 2013-2014
- Breakdown of total value of outstanding loans granted for house purchase in Ukraine, by maturity date (%, e-o-p), 2007-September 2015
- Value share of outstanding loans granted for house purchase in Ukraine (%, e-o-p), by currency, 2007-September 2015
- Real change in construction output in Ukraine (%, y-o-y), 2012-October 2015
- Construction price indices in Ukraine (%, y-o-y), 2007-September 2015
- Production of basic building materials in Ukraine, 2011-September 2015
- Macroeconomic indicators for Ukraine, 2010-2020
- Sources of funding for environmental protection-related projects in Ukraine, 2013
- Sources of funding for environmental protection-related projects in Ukraine, 2014
- Value of major investment and current work in the field of environmental protection in Ukraine (UAH m), 2008-2014
- Major environmental protection-related projects in Ukraine, 2016-2018
- Structure of hard-surfaced public road network in Ukraine, by road category, January 2015
- Key goals to be achieved under implementation of the State Target Economic Programme on the Development of Road Infrastructure in Ukraine (km), 2013-2018
- Planned funding for the State Target Economic Programme on the Development of Road Infrastructure in Ukraine (UAH bn), 2013-2018
- List of major national road construction and reconstruction projects in Ukraine, including planned annual spending (UAH m) and completion plan (km), 2013-2018
- Major planned road construction projects in Ukraine, 2016-2018
- Construction work deployed in the rail infrastructure segment in Ukraine (km), 2007-2015
- Distribution of railway means of transportation by period in use in Ukraine (%), end of 2014
- Major railway projects in Ukraine, 2016-2020
- Oil and gas production and consumption in Ukraine, 2007-August 2015
- Combined generating capacity of power plants (million kWh) and electricity production (million kW/h) in Ukraine, 2014
- Large heavy industry projects in Ukraine, 2016-2020
- Access to utility networks of homes in Ukraine, by type of region (% of total number of residences), January 2014
- Key data on the office market in Kyiv, 2009-H1 2015
- Basic indicators for Kyiv office property market, 2013-H1 2015
- Planned large business centre projects in Ukraine, 2016-2017
- Key data on the shopping centre market in Ukraine, 2009-2014
- Shopping centres opened in Kyiv, 2013-H1 2015
- Projects with at least 20,000 m2 of GLA commissioned in the regions of Ukraine, 2011-H1 2015
- Large retail and service real estate construction projects in Ukraine, 2016-2020
- Warehouses activated in Kyiv area in 2013 (by name, in GLA), 2013
- Warehouses activated in Kyiv area in 2014 and 2015 (by name, in GLA), 2015
- Large industrial and warehouse construction projects in Ukraine, 2016-2018
- Major hotel launches in Kyiv, 2012-H1 2015
- Basic indicators for Kyiv hospitality market, H1 2015
- Large hotel construction projects in Ukraine, 2016-2017
- Housing stock in Ukraine, 2000, 2005, 2009, 2013
- Average housing space per capita in Ukraine, by administrative region (m2), 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2013
- Ukraine's provinces with more than 50 million m2 of total housing, 1 January 2015
- Distribution of households in Ukraine by level of satisfaction with the housing conditions (%), by administrative region, 2014
- Breakdown of newly registered residential space in Ukraine by number of floors in residential buildings (%), 2009-2014
- Breakdown of newly registered residential space in Ukraine by building material used for construction of walls (%), 2009-2013
- Construction of housing space in Ukraine, by administrative region, 2013-September 2015
- Housing construction by individual builders in Ukraine, 2000-2010
- Completion of single-residence houses in Ukraine ('000 m2 of floor space), 2013-H1 2015
- Large residential projects in Ukraine, 2016-2018
- Average prices of housing in Ukraine (UAH/m2), November 2015
- Number of home sale contracts registered by notaries in Ukraine, by region, 2012-H1 2015
- Number of home sale contracts registered by notaries in Ukraine, by region, 2007 and 2012-2014
- M&A transactions in Ukraine's construction and property development, 2012-2014
- Financial results of companies active on the construction and property market in Ukraine, 2013-2014
- Major industrial construction companies in Ukraine, 2013
- Major residential construction companies in Ukraine, 2013
- Major manufacturers of building materials in Ukraine, except for cement companies, 2013
- Production and consumption of cement in Ukraine ('000 tonnes), 2007-2014