Product Code: IT014-002786
Analytic databases have shaken up the previously commoditized database market in the last two to three years. Databases have started to make headlines again thanks to the advent of Big Data and alternative "NoSQl" database infrastructures.
Ovum believes that there are currently eight major platforms (IBM PureData, Kognitio, Infobright, SAP HANA, SAP Sybase IQ, Teradata Aster Discovery Platform, ParAccel, and HP Vertica) that provide the widest range of capabilities for organizations seeking to deploy analytic databases. This report outlines the strengths, weaknesses, and best use-cases for each solution. It also offers a comparative framework for evaluating the leading analytic databases available on the market today.
- Ovum's research shows that business cases for purchasing and implementing analytic databases are becoming more pertinent day by day. Traditional data warehousing architectures are struggling to meet modern analytics requirements, such as managing larger data volumes and handling new types of data.
- To address these newer requirements, vendors have incorporated some core design principles in both their software and hardware for improving analytic processing performance. Software strategies include conventional query optimization, smart index management, pre-calculated/aggregated views (multidimensional or materialized), in-memory processing, and columnar storage.
- Hardware strategies that help in faster and better query performance include using architectures such as MPP, in-memory engines, interconnects, and preconfigured appliances. Ovum finds that all vendors covered in this assessment use one or more of these strategies to optimize performance.
- Examines the analytic database market and its key constituents.
- Helps organizations discover which analytic database vendor is best suited to their needs.
- Discusses what differentiates the leading vendors in the market.
- What are the major innovation areas in analytic databases?
- How are analytic database solutions embracing disruptive trends and technology?
- How do the analytic database solutions Ovum has identified compare?
Table of Contents
- Ovum view
- Key findings
VENDOR SOLUTION SELECTION
- Inclusion criteria
- Exclusion criteria
- Vendor solutions
- Ovum ratings
- Ovum Interactive Decision Matrix
MARKET AND SOLUTION ANALYSIS
- Ovum Decision Matrix: analytic databases, 2013-14
- Market leaders: Teradata Aster Discovery Platform, SAP HANA, IBM PureData, HP Vertica
- Market challengers: Kognitio, ParAccel (now Actian), Sybase IQ
- Market followers: Infobright
- Market leaders: technology
- Market leaders: execution
- Market leaders: market impact
- HP Vertica (Ovum recommendation: Leader)
- SAP Sybase IQ (Ovum recommendation: Challenger)
- Infobright (Ovum recommendation: Follower)
- Kognitio (Ovum recommendation: Challenger)
- ParAccel (Ovum recommendation: Challenger)
- SAP HANA (Ovum recommendation: Leader)
- IBM PureData System for Analytics (Ovum recommendation: Leader)
- Teradata Aster Discovery Platform (Ovum recommendation: Leader)
- Further reading
- Ovum Consulting