Product Code: IT008-000197
Taking a platform approach to support online learning will deliver a better ROI through enhanced flexibility and agility. In response to a rapidly changing environment, online learning will become critical, and expectations for service will grow. Many existing LMS implementations will be inadequate. Choosing the right solution will require institutions to look beyond discrete LMS applications.
- A new and more pervasive approach to teaching and learning is required.
- The competitive landscape for online learning solutions is in flux.
- Realizing long-term LMS value starts with flexibility and agility.
- Understand how the requirements for online learning will evolve in the higher education industry
- Discriminate amongst first-, second-, and third-generation learning management solutions
- Learn strategies and tactics to differentiate institutional services in an increasingly competitive and dynamic market
- How is the market for online learning changing?
- How are LMS vendors differentiating their solutions in the market?
Table of Contents
- Ovum view
- Key messages
- ILP ENABLES DIFFERENTIATING ON TEACHING and LEARNING
- The higher education industry is changing rapidly
- The sustainability of the current model is in question
- Greater accountability will improve institutional outcomes
- Student expectations for service and experience are increasing
- Invest in next-generation online learning and technology solutions
- At its core, higher education is about teaching and learning
- Inclusive, proactive, and individualized is the mantra for academic
- Institutions need a new generation of tools, but confusion exists
- Select an online learning solution based on long-term needs
- Online learning takes a winding road, not the interstate
- A technology path exists, but it is not widely understood
- Basic LMS offers simplicity but not a long-term plan
- Growing out of LMS Plus is real possibility
- ILP increases flexibility and reduces the likelihood of a future switch
- Realizing long-term LMS value starts with flexibility and agility
- Diverse perspectives will improve the evaluation process
- Recommendations for institutions
- Avoid fads and prepare for long-term trends
- Look for a coherent and long-term vision for online learning
- Consider each vendor's execution track record
- Ovum Consulting
- Figure 1: The path to next-generation online learning
- Figure 2: LMS vendor selection criteria