Product Code: Nano-745
Over the next decade, gestural recognition could replace touch sensing as the
leading edge computer input technology. Although gestural recognition and
control technology has served niche markets in gaming and virtual reality for
some time, NanoMarkets believes that within a few years, gestural recognition
will begin to generate significant revenues in general industrial
applications, as well as in the signage, healthcare, automotive and
We think that this surge in interest in gestural recognition will lead to a
broad range of opportunities in the sensor, camera and related businesses. We
also think that the rise of gestural recognition will have important
implications for the 3D display market, possibly bring such displays into the
computer display mainstream. Together, these prospects could be worth
billions of dollars to components and sub-systems makers.
At the present time, gestural recognition technology is immature with a
variety of sensor and camera options appearing on this market. Some of these
will create large businesses. Others will fall by the wayside. The objective
of this report is to forecast where each of these technologies is headed and
to quantify their commercial potential. We also predict who the leading firms
will be in this space and how their product/market strategies are evolving.
The report builds on NanoMarkets expertise in the sensor and display sectors,
where our company has been providing industry analysis for almost a decade.
The coverage in this report begins with the first-generation of gestural
recognition, such as that using projected capacitive touch sensors and then
moves on to 3D gestural recognition, which is where most observers believe
that the opportunities will emerge.
We think this report will be important to business development and marketing
executives in the general sensor, camera/image sensor, display, computer and
Table of Contents
- E.1 Assessment of Gestural Recognition Opportunities
- E.1.1 General Sensor Industry
- E.1.2 Image Sensors and Camera Firms
- E.1.3 Display Industry
- E.1.4 Semiconductor Industry
- E.2 Emerging Supply Chains in the Gestural Recognition Market
- E.3 Firms to Watch in Gestural Recognition Sensors
- E.3.1 Sensor Firms
- E.3.2 Software and Related Firms
- E.4 Challenges for Gestural Recognition: Impact on Sensor, Component and
- E.4.1 Noise and Equipment Accuracy
- E.4.2 Lighting and Background Objects
- E.4.3 User Behavior
- E.4.4 Lack of Standards
- E.5 Summary of Eight-Year Forecasts
Chapter One: Introduction
- 1.1 Background to this Report
- 1.1.1 Gestural Recognition and the Camera Industry
- 1.1.2 Sensor Makers Responding to Gestural Recognition
- 1.1.3 Other Opportunities
- 1.2 Objective and Scope of this Report
- 1.3 Methodology of this Report
- 1.4 Plan of this Report
Chapter Two: Technologies, Components and Subsystems for Gestural Recognition
- 2.1 First-Generation 2D Gestural Recognition
- 2.1.1 2D Cameras
- 2.1.2 Advanced Touch Technology: Capacitive, Infrared, Near Field, etc.
- 2.2 Sensors for Data Gloves and Other Input Devices
- 2.2.1 Finger-bend and Flex Sensors
- 2.2.2 Motion Sensors
- 2.3 Position and Tracking Technology
- 2.3.1 Inertial
- 2.3.2 Ultrasonic
- 2.3.3 Electrical Field
- 2.3.4 Magnetic Field
- 2.3.5 Eye Tracking Systems
- 2.4 Depth-aware Cameras
- 2.4.1 Stereo Cameras
- 2.4.2 Cameras Using 3D Image Sensors
- 2.4.3 Time-of-Flight Cameras
- 2.5 Haptic Sensors Used in Gestural Recognition
- 2.6 Gestural Recognition Subsystems
- 2.6.1 Chips and Modules to Enable Gesture Control
- 2.6.2 Wands and Other Gadgets
- 2.7 Impact of Gestural Technology on the Display Industry
- 2.8 Key Points Made in this Chapter
Chapter Three: Applications and Eight-Year Market Forecasts
- 3.1 Forecasting Methodology
- 3.1.1 Sensor Volumes and Pricing
- 3.1.2 Camera Volume and Pricing
- 3.2 Games, Virtual Reality and Consumer Electronics
- 3.2.1 Gaming and VR
- 3.2.2 Smart Phones as a Gesture Platform
- 3.2.3 Laptops and All-in-One Computers
- 3.2.4 Larger Screens
- 3.2.5 Forecast of Component and Subsystem Requirements
- 3.3 Automotive
- 3.3.1 Gestural Recognition Products and Market Evolution
- 3.3.2 Forecast of Component and Subsystem Requirements
- 3.4 Healthcare and Medical
- 3.4.1 Gestural Recognition Products and Market Evolution
- 3.4.2 Forecast of Component and Subsystem Requirements
- 3.5 The Smart Home and Workplace
- 3.5.1 Gestural Recognition Products and Market Evolution
- 3.5.2 Forecast of Component and Subsystem Requirements
- 3.6 General Industrial Applications
- 3.6.1 Gestural Recognition Products and Market Evolution
- 3.6.2 Forecast of Component and Subsystem Requirements
- 3.7 Summary of Market Forecasts
- 3.7.1 Market Forecast by Application
- 3.7.2 Market Forecast by Type of Component
- 3.8 Key Points Made in this Chapter
Acronyms and Abbreviations Used In this Report
About the Author
List of Exhibits:
- Exhibit E-1: Acquisitions of Sensor and Gesture Recognition Companies.
- Exhibit E-2: Summary of Market for Sensors and Components in Gesture
Recognition, by Application 2014-2021
- Exhibit 2-1: Data Glove Offerings, Features and Prospects.
- Exhibit 2-2: Approaches to Tracking Motion and Gestures.
- Exhibit 2-3: Time-of-Flight Gesture Recognition Systems.
- Exhibit 2-4: Semiconductor components that support gesture control
- Exhibit 3-1: VR Gaming from the Sensor Supplier's Viewpoint
- Exhibit 3-2: Forecast of Components by Type, Gaming and VR 2014-2021.
- Exhibit 3-3: Forecast of Components by Type, Smart Phones 2014-2021.
- Exhibit 3-4: Forecast of Components by Type, Tablets 2014-2021.
- Exhibit 3-5: Forecast of Components by Type, Laptops 2014-2021.
- Exhibit 3-6: Forecast of Components by Type, Monitors and AiO Computers
- Exhibit 3-7: Forecast of Components by Type, Smart TVs 2014-2021.
- Exhibit 3-8: Automobile Makers Pursuing Gesture Control
- Exhibit 3-9: Forecast of Components by Type, Automotive 2014-2021.
- Exhibit 3-10: Forecast of Components by Type, Healthcare and Medical
- Exhibit 3-11: Forecast of Components by Type, Smart Home 2014-2021.
- Exhibit 3-12: Forecast of Components by Type, Industrial 2014-2021.
- Exhibit 3-13: Summary of Market for Sensors and Components in Gesture
Recognition, by Application 2014-2021
- Exhibit 3-14: Summary of Market for Sensors and Components in Gesture
Recognition, by Component Type 2014-2021