Juniper's market leading Commerce & Fintech research provides the most comprehensive analysis of the digital commerce market.
Our mPOS (mobile point of sale) research provides an analysis of this highly competitive sector, offering comprehensive market projections and trend analysis. Forecasts include mPOS device numbers in use, shipments, technology forecasts and associated revenue forecasts, both from hardware purchase and transaction fees.
The research service provides a set of comprehensive 5-year forecasts, alongside an in-depth analysis of market trends and opportunities, enabling industry stakeholders to understand the implications of the key drivers and disruptive factors across the mPOS sector.
- Exploration of mPOS use cases and their implications for the hardware requirements of each.
- Impact assessment of key trends across the mPOS space.
- Examination and assessment of the currently prevalent mPOS business models, their sustainability and likely evolution in the coming years.
- Device and transaction forecasts, including attendant revenues projections.
- 1. Where are the biggest opportunities in the mPOS market?
- 2. What are the prevailing trends in the space and what recent developments have there been?
- 3. What business models will be the most competitive in the coming years?
- 4. Who are the main players and what are their strategies?
- 5. What is the value of the mPOS market, and how much transaction revenue can be derived from it?
Absa, Amazon, AnywhereCommerce, Apple, Banamex, Bank of America, Barclaycard, BBPOS, BBVA, Bluetooth SIG, Celtic Bank, Commonwealth Bank Australia, ConCardis, Creditcall, Estel, Etsy, Europay, FlyPOS, Groupon, HP, I Love Velvet, Ingenico, iZettle, MasterCard, Microsoft, Monet, NCR, payleven, PayPal, PCI Standards Security Council, Qiandaibao, Rakuten, Sacombank, Sage, Square, Starbucks, Stripe, SumUp, Thr!ive POS, TouchBistro, United Bank of Africa, Visa, Xuddle, YES Bank, Ziosk.
Data & Interactive Forecast
Juniper's mPOS forecast suite includes:
- Installed base of mobile and fixed POS, annual shipments of mPOS and associated hardware revenues.
- Mobile and fixed POS transaction values, fee rates and associated revenues.
- Key technology splits across the installed base and shipments, covering transaction technologies:
- and connectivity technologies:
- Regional data splits for 8 key regions as well as country level splits for:
- Access to the full set of forecast data of 32 tables and over 4,000 data points.
Juniper Research's highly granular Interactive Excels enable clients to manipulate Juniper's forecast data and charts to test their own assumptions using the Interactive Scenario Tool; and compare select markets side by side in customised charts and tables. Interactive Excels greatly increase clients' ability to both understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
Table of Contents
1. mPOS Accessory Market Trends & Developments
- 1.1. Introduction
- 1.2. Scope of Research
- 1.3. Definition
- Figure 1.1: Wireless & Physically-Connected PayPal HERE mPOS Accessories
- Figure 1.2: HP ElitePad Tablet-based Integrated mPOS Device
- 1.4. mPOS Accessory Use Cases
- 1.4.1. Off-premise Payments
- 1.4.2. On-premise Payments
- Figure 1.3: Stand & Chip Card POS Devices
- iv. Case Study: Ziosk
- Figure 1.4: Ziosk Tablet-based Terminal
- 1.5. mPOS Device Sector Dynamics
- Figure 1.5: Juniper Sector Dynamics Diagram
- 1.5.1. mPOS Accessory Drivers
- 1.5.2. mPOS Accessory Constraints
- Table 1.6: Square Transaction Revenues, Gross Profit & Net Loss ($m)
- 1.5.3. mPOS Accessory Trends
- Figure 1.7: Distribution of Transaction Charge Rates Offered by Tracked mPOS Providers (%)
- v. Case Study: Square Capital
- Figure 1.8: Square Capital Loan Example
2. mPOS Accessory Ecosystems Opportunities & Challenges
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.1.1. The Peripherals Ecosystem
- 2.2. Ecosystem Members & Stakeholders
- Figure 2.1: Juniper mPOS Accessories Ecosystem
- 2.3. mPOS Ecosystem Business Models
- 2.3.1. Hardware Provider Business Models
- Figure 2.2: Transaction Charge & Monthly Charge Scatterplot
- 2.3.2. Software Provider Business Models
- 2.4. Juniper mPOS Key Player Strategy Quadrant
- Figure 2.3: Juniper mPOS Strategy Quadrant
- 2.4.1. Full-Service Providers
- 2.4.2. Flexible Service Providers
- 2.4.3. Licensor Service Providers
- 2.4.4. Niche Service Providers
3. mPOS Forecast Methodology
- 3.2. Forecast Steps
- 3.2.1. Analysis of the Current Market
- Figure 3.1: mPOS Companies Operations Heatmap
- 3.2.2. Smartphone & POS Penetration
- 3.2.3. From Cash to Card
- 3.2.4. The Rise of the Online Storefront
- 3.2.5. Evaluation of Business Model & Company Prospects
- 3.2.6. Evaluation of Market & Competitive Landscape
- 3.3. Forecast Methodology
- Figure 3.2: mPOS Accessories Forecast Methodology
4. mPOS Accessories Forecasts
- 4.1. Hardware Forecasts
- 4.1.1. Static POS Installed Base
- Figure & Table 4.1: Number of Dedicated POS Devices (m) Installed Base per annum, Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 4.1.2. mPOS Accessories Installed Base
- Figure & Table 4.2: Number of mPOS Accessories (m) Installed Base per annum, Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 4.1.3. EMV-enabled mPOS Accessories
- Figure & Table 4.3: Number of EMV-enabled mPOS Devices (m) Installed Base per annum, Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 4.1.4. NFC-enabled mPOS Accessories
- Figure 4.4: Number of NFC-enabled mPOS Devices (m) Installed Base per annum, Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 4.1.5. mPOS Accessories Shipped
- Figure & Table 4.5: Number of mPOS Devices (m) Devices Shipped per annum, Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 4.1.6. Device Revenues
- Figure & Table 4.6: mPOS Accessories Hardware Revenue per annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 4.2. mPOS Transaction Forecasts
- 4.2.1. Transaction Volume
- Figure & Table 4.7: Number of mPOS Transactions per annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 4.2.2. Transaction Value
- Figure & Table 4.8: Total Value of Good Transacted through mPOS per annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 4.2.3. mPOS Accessory Transaction Revenues4
- Figure & Table 4.9: mPOS Transaction Revenues per annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021