The report is devoted to investigation of the current state of the steel industry of Ukraine and forecast of its development in the coming years. The report contains 211 pages including 25 tables, 16 figures.
The first chapter provides an analysis of production from 2000 to 2013, and the use of existing facilities.
The second chapter describes the economic and financial situation in the industry after the crisis. The chapter shows the financial performance of major metallurgical enterprises of the sector in 2007-2013.
The third chapter describes the situation with the raw material for production of steel (iron ore and pellets, pig iron, scrap and waste). For all types of raw data are given for its production in 2000-2013 by enterprises-producers, the dynamics of the internal and external supply in 2000-2013.
The fourth chapter is devoted to the problems of restructuring and modernization of Ukraine's steel industry. It describes the main government program for the metallurgical industry development strategy for the period up to 2030, data on investment projects implemented by various companies of the industry. The data on the two major iron and steel groups in the country.
The fifth chapter describes in detail the main export markets of Ukrainian metallurgical enterprises. Data are presented on Ukrainian exports and imports in 2000-2013 for main products (pig iron, scrap, ferro alloys, billets, wire rods, bars, fittings, profiles, hot-rolled sheet, cold rolled sheet proc, coated sheets).
The sixth chapter is devoted to anti-dumping investigations and restrictions applicable to the Ukrainian metallurgical companies in 1992-2013.
The seventh chapter provides an analysis of the domestic consumption of rolled steel in Ukraine.
The eighth chapter presents data on the main domestic consumers of Ukrainian metallurgical enterprises. A separate analysis of consumption of rolled steel in the major consuming industries of Ukraine - production of pipes and metal products, machinery, automotive, rail services, construction - is made.
The ninth chapter lists the key factors influencing the pricing of steel products in Ukraine (electricity, conventional fuel rail). Also this chapter provides an analysis of internal and external prices of major steel products in 1996-2013 and January-October 2014.
The tenth and final chapter presents a forecast of production and consumption of steel and rolled steel in Ukraine up to 2020.
This work is a "desk" research. As information sources, data Goskmstata Ukraine, the Ukrainian Customs Service, Ministry of Industrial Policy of Ukraine. Also, data of sectoral and regional press, annual and quarterly repots of companies, web-sites of company, business information databases, as well as the database of "InfoMine".
Table of Contents
1. Production, Capacity Utilisation in 2000-2013
2. Financial Standing
3. Provision with Raw Materials
- Iron ore resources
- Scrap and Wastes
4. Restructurization, modernization and privatization of the Ukrainian ferrous metallurgy
5. Key export markets of Ukrainian steelmakers
6. Antidumping probes and investigations against Ukrainian steelmakers
7. Domestic Consumption of Steel and Rolled Steel
8. The main domestic end-uses of rolled steel in Ukraine
- Production of pipes and metalware
- Machine Building
- Automobile production
- Building industry and building material industry
- Railway Sector
9. Pricing policy and prices on products of Ukrainian ferrous metallurgy
10. Forecast of production and consumption of steel and rolled steel in Ukraine until 2030
Appendix: Contact information of main Ukrainian Steelmakers
List of Tables:
- Table 1: Production capacities of Ukrainian metallurgical enterprises, broken by method of steelmaking in 2014, thousand tons per year
- Table 2: Ukrainian crude steel production in 1999-2013, broken by the method, thousand tons (kt)
- Table 3: Production of the main types of rolled steel in Ukraine in 2000-2013, million tons
- Table 4: Types of steel products, manufactured at leading Ukrainian metallurgical enterprises
- Table 5: Production of flat and long steel* in Ukraine in 2006-2013, thousand tons
- Table 6: Steel and rolled steel production at Ukrainian enterprises in 2000-2013, thousand tons
- Table 7: Productivity of the largest metallurgical enterprises in Ukraine (the steel output per 1 employee) in 2000-2013, ton/employee
- Table 8: Financial results of the largest Ukrainian steelmakers in 2007-2013 (billion UAH)
- Table 9: Iron production by Ukrainian enterprises in 2000-2013 and January-September 2014, thousand tons
- Table 10: Ukrainian iron exports in 2001-2014, thousand tons
- Table 11: Scrap suppluies to Ukrainian metallurgical enterprises* in 2000-2013, thousand tons
- Table 12: Ukrainian ferrous scrap exports in 2001-2013 and January-September 2014, thousand tons
- Table 13: Privatization of the main assets in Ukrainian ferrous metallurgy in 1999-2004
- Table 14: Structure of key assets of "Metinvest Holding " Group
- Table 15: Ukrainian Ferrous Metals Exports in 2001-2013 and January-September 2014, thousand tons (without pipes)
- Table 16: The largest Ukrainian exporters of ferrous metallurgy products in 2013, thousand tons
- Table 17: The largest countries-importers of Ukrainian rolled steel products in 2002-2013, thousand tons
- Table 18: Actual consumption of rolled steel in the Ukrainian industry by sectors in 2001-2013, thousand tons
- Table 19: Metalware production by main Ukrainian enterprises for 2001-2013, thousand tons
- Table 20: Production of the main kinds of steel-intensive industrial products in Ukraine in 1993-2013
- Table 21: Index of wholesale prices on some industrial products in Ukraine in 1995-2013
- Table 22: Indexes of freight railage tariffs in 2002-2013
- Table 23: Average annual export prices for the main types of Ukrainian rolled steel in 1996-2013, $/ton
- Table 24: Forecast of release of the main types of ferrous metallurgy products in Ukraine up to 2030, million tons
- Table 25: Forecasted balance of the apparent consumption of rolled steel in Ukraine up to 2030, million ton
List of Figures:
- Figure 1: Steel and rolled steel production in Ukraine* in 2000-2013 and January-September 2014, thousand tons
- Figure 2: The production of continuously cast steel in Ukraine
- Figure 3: Locations of the largest Ukrainian steelmakers
- Figure 4: Share of producers of crude steel in Ukraine in 2000-2013, %
- Figure 5: Share of producers of rolled steel in Ukraine in 2000-2013, %
- Figure 6: Dynamics of production of pig iron in Ukraine in 1992-2014, million tons*
- Figure 7: Share of ferrous metallurgy products in structure of Ukrainian exports in money terms in 2003-2014, $ billion, %
- Figure 8: Dynamics of average monthly exports of Ukrainian flat-rolled steel in 2008-2014 (thousand tons), and the share of HR steel in the exports, %
- Figure 9: Ukrainian Pipe Production in 1995-2014 (thousand tons)
- Figure 10: Average monthly supplies of rolled steel to domestic metalware plants and the apparent consumption of wire rod in Ukraine in 2007-2014, thousand tons
- Figure 11: Monthly dynamics of Ukrainian imports of coated sheet in 2008-2014, thousand tons
- Figure 12: Average annual electric power prices in Ukraine in 1992-2014, cent/kWh
- Figure 13: Dynamics of average monthly prices on Ukrainian rolled steel in 2007-2014, $/ton FOB Black Sea ports
- Figure 14: Dynamics of average monthly prices on Ukrainian CR flats in 2008-2014, $/ton*
- Figure 15: Dynamics of average monthly prices on HR sheet in 2008-2014, $/ton*
- Figure 16: Dynamics of average monthly prices on rebar in 2008-2014, $/ton