The report is devoted to investigation of current state of the Russian market of steel and forecast of its development in the coming years. The report consists of 12 Sections, 252 pages, including 46 tables, 20 figures and 3 appendices.
The first chapter describes the economic situation in the industry after the crisis. The chapter shows the financial performance of major metallurgical enterprises of the sector in 2007-2013.
The second chapter presents an analysis of production from 1970 to 2013 and the first half of 2014 and the use of existing facilities.
The third chapter is devoted to a brief description of the main Russian producers of steel and rolled products. Bring their data to produce the main product from 1993 to 2013.
The fourth chapter describes the situation with the raw material for production of steel (iron ore and pellets, pig iron, scrap, direct reduced iron and hot briquetted iron). For all types of raw data are given for its production in the 1993-2013 years and the first half of 2014, broken down by company-producers, the dynamics of internal and external supply in 1995-2013, the dynamics of average domestic prices of primary producers in 2002-2013 and the first half of 2014, as well as the dynamics of export prices.
The fifth chapter is devoted to the problems of restructuring Russia's steel industry. It describes the main government program for the strategy development of metallurgical industry of Russia in 2030, data on investment projects implemented in various enterprises of the industry.
The sixth chapter gives the main results of privatization in the Russian steel industry.
The seventh chapter is devoted to the export markets of the Russian metallurgical enterprises. Data are presented on Russian exports and imports in 1998-2013 of main products (billets, wire rods, bars, fittings, profiles, hot-rolled sheet, cold rolled sheet proc, coated sheets).
The eighth chapter provides an analysis of the domestic consumption of finished steel in Russia, given its speaker from 1998 to 2013 by type of hire. A separate analysis of consumption of finished steel in the major consuming industries of Russia - engineering, construction, pipe industry.
The ninth chapter provides a detailed analysis of the supply of steel in 2007-2013, exact data for three years for the consumption of steel enterprises with consumption of more than 50 thousand tons per year. Shows the regional pattern of consumption of finished steel by regions of Russia.
In the tenth chapter lists the key factors influencing the pricing of steel products in Russia (electricity, conventional fuel rail).
In the eleventh chapter provides an analysis of internal and external prices of major steel products in 2005-2013 and the first half of 2014 on a monthly basis.
In the twelfth and final chapter of the first section presents a forecast of production and consumption of steel and rolled steel in Russia in 2020.
Appendix 1 shows the output of steel in major Russian enterprises by type of process in 1998-2013. Appendix 2 shows the data for the production of finished steel in Russia by his appearance in 1998-2013. Appendix 3 shows the main company contact information.
This work is a "desk" research. As information sources used data of Rosstat, Federal Customs Service of Russia, official statistics domestic railage. Also, data of sectoral and regional press, annual and quarterly repots of companies, web-sites of company, as well as information database companies, the database of "InfoMine".
Table of Contents
1. Economic standing of Russian ferrous metallurgy
2. Analysis of Production of Iron, Steel and Rolled Steel and Capacities Utilization in Russia (1998-2013)
3. The main Russian steelmaking enterprises
4. Raw materials for steelmaking
- Iron ore resources
- Other kinds of raw materials (DRI/HBI)
5. Restructuring of Russian ferrous metallurgy
6. Results of privatization in Russian ferrous metallurgy
7. Export-Import of rolled Steel (1998-2013), Key Export Markets for Russian Steel
- Semis (including semis (billet, slabs, blooms, etc.) for exports)
- Long-rolled products
- Flat-rolled products
8. Russian Domestic Consumption of Rolled Steel, Basic End-Uses)
- Machine building
- Civil engineering (building industry)
- Pipe sector
9. Analysis of domestic rolled steel supplies in Russia
10. Pricing in Russian steel sector
11. Analysis of prices on steel and rolled steel
12. Forecast of Russian production and consumption of steel
Appendix 1: Steel production by main Russian Steelmaking Works in 1998-2013 (by route), kt
Appendix 2: Rolled steel production in Russia in 1998-2013 by type of the products, kt
Appendix 3: The main company contact information
List of Tables:
- Table 1: Financial results of leading Russian Steelmakers in 2007-2013, mln Rubles
- Table 2: Russian ferrous metallurgy in 1970-2013
- Table 3: Steel production capacities of the main Russian steelmakers, broken by routs (kt, as of the beginning of 2014)
- Table 4: Russian steel production, broken by routs, in 1994-2013, kt,%
- Table 5: Utilisation of productive capacities of ferrous metallurgy companies in 1993-2013, by product (%)
- Table 6: Russian Finished Rolled Steel Production by kind in 1994-2013 and the 1st half of 2014
- Table 7: Crude and rolled steel production by company in 1993-2013 and the 1st half of 2014 *(Kt)
- Table 8: Effectiveness of steel production in Russia by the greatest steelmaker in 1997-2013 (steel production per an employee, t/employee)
- Table 9: Commodity iron ore production* by Russian enterprises in 1998-2013 and H1 2014 (kt)
- Table 10: Domestic and export iron ore supplies by Russian enterprises in 2013 (kt)
- Table 11: Supply-demand balance of commodity iron ore in Russia for 1995-2013 and H1 2014* (mln t)
- Table 12: Russian steelmaking iron production in 1998-2013 and H1 2014, (Kt)
- Table 13: Ferrous metal scrap consumption for steel production at Russian enterprises in 1992-2013, mln t
- Table 14: Average specific consumption of resources in iron production (coke and iron ore resources) and steelmaking process (iron and scrap) in Russian ferrous metallurgy in 1990-2013, kg/t iron/steel produced
- Table 15: Russian DRI and HBI production in 1993-2013 and the first half of 2014 (Kt)
- Table 16: Russian Export/Import of rolled steel in 1998-2013 and H1 2014 (Kt)*
- Table 17: Russian Export/Import of rolled steel in 1998-2013 and H1 2014 to/from CIS countries (Kt)*
- Table 18: Russian Export/Import of rolled steel to/from extra-CIS countries in 1998-2013 and H1 2014 (Kt)
- Table 19: Agreed Russian quotas on supply of rolled steel to EU in 1998-2013, kt
- Table 20: Russian export/import of rolled steel, split by kind of products in 1998-2013 (%)
- Table 21: Russian export/import of rolled steel to/from CIS countries, broken by type of products in 1998-2013 (%)
- Table 22: Russian exports of semis, broken by country in 2004-2013 and H1 2014 (Kt,%)
- Table 23: Russian export of wire rod by country in 2004-2013 and H1 2014 (Kt/%)
- Table 24: Russian export of bar and rebar in 2004-2013 and H1 2014 by country (Kt/%)
- Table 25: Russian export of sections by country in 2004-2013 and H1 2014 (Kt/%)
- Table 26: Russian export of HR flat products by country in 2004-2013 and H1 2014 (Kt/%)
- Table 27: Russian exports of CR flat steel by country in 2004-2013 and H1 2014* (Kt/%)
- Table 28: Russian exports of coated sheet by country in 2004-2013 and H1 2014*(Kt/%)
- Table 29: Changes in geographic pattern of Russian export of rolled steel in 1998-2013 and the 1st half of 2014 (%, share in total volume of the export deliveries)
- Table 30: Russian Supply-Demand Balance for rolled steel in 1994-2013 (Kt)
- Table 31: Russian Supply-Demand Balance of rolled steel, broken by type of the products, in 1998-2013 (Kt)
- Table 32: Macroeconomic parameters and rolled steel consumption in Russia in 2000-2013 (in%, compared with 1995)
- Table 33: A structure of Russian GDP for 1991-2013 (%)
- Table 34: Dynamics of machine building production volume and output of some kinds of machinery and equipment for 1990-2013(103 pieces)
- Table 35: Russian foreign trade in machinery and equipment in 1992-2013 (in billion USD)
- Table 36: Supply-demand balance of steel pipes in Russia in 1990-2013 (mt)
- Table 37: Pipe production in Russia, by plant (1991-2013 and 1st half of 2014), kt
- Table 38: Large end-users of rolled steel in Russia (above 50 kt) in 2007-2013, kt
- Table 39: Large traders of rolled steel in Russia (above 50 kt) in 2007-2013, kt
- Table 40: Regional pattern on consumption of domestic rolled steel in Russia in 2005-2013
- Table 41: Specific consumption of power and equivalent fuel in steelmaking by product (per tonne) in 1991-2013
- Table 42: Growth of prices in Russian industry in 1992-2013 (% year-on-year)
- Table 43: Prices on rolled steel at main regional markets of the world in 2005-2014, $/t
- Table 44: Relationship between Russian domestic and world market prices on rolled steel products in 2005-2013 and August 2014,%*
- Table 45: Russian steel and rolled steel production and forecast for 2014-2040, mln t
- Table 46: Forecast of Supply-Demand Balance of rolled steel in Russia for 2014-2030, mln t
List of Figures:
- Figure 1: Map of the location of the greatest steelmaking capacities in Russian Federation
- Figure 2: Pattern of Russian Commodity Iron Ore Concentrate Production by Federal Districts in 2005-2013 and H1 2014,%
- Figure 3: Pattern of Russian Iron Ore Pellets Production by Federal Districts in 2005-2013 and H1 2014,%
- Figure 4: Pattern of Russian Crude Commodity Iron Ore (Non-Concentrated) Production by Federal Districts in 2005-2013 and H1 2014,%
- Figure 5: Pattern of Russian Commodity Iron Ore Resources Exports by type of the Resources in 2005-2013 and H1 2014,%
- Figure 6: Pattern of Russian Commodity Iron Ore Resources Exports by Country and Region of the World in 2005-2013 and H1 2014,%
- Figure 7: Dynamics of average release prices on iron ore concentrate and pellets in 2002-2013, January-September 2014, Ruble/t exclusive of VAT
- Figure 8: Dynamics of Domestic (Release) Prices for Steelmaking Iron in Russia in 2002-2013 and January-September 2014, Ruble/t
- Figure 9: Average annual Russian export prices on steelmaking iron in 2001-2013 and January-August 2014 (FOB Black Sea ports) ($/t)
- Figure 10: Dynamics of domestic and export supplies of ferrous scrap in Russia in 1985-2013, mln tonnes
- Figure 11: Pattern of Russian Scrap Exports by Region in 2005-2013, mln t
- Figure 12: Dynamics of Russian exports of semis in 1998-2013 and H1 2014, kt,%
- Figure 13: Dynamics of Russian exports of wire rod in 1998-2013 and H1 2014, kt
- Figure 14: Dynamics of Russian exports of bar and rebar in 1998-2013 and H1 2014, kt
- Figure 15: Dynamics of Russian exports of sections in 1998-2013 and H1 2014*, kt
- Figure 16: Dynamics of Russian exports of HR flat steel in 1998-2013 and the 1st half of 2014*, Kt
- Figure 17: Dynamics of Russian exports of CR flat steel in 1998-2013 and the 1st half of 2014, Kt
- Figure 18: Dynamics of Russian exports of coated sheet (flat steel) in 1998-2013 and the 1st half of 2014*, Kt
- Figure 19: Dynamics of apparent consumption of rolled steel in Russia, broken by type of the products, in 1998-2013, kt
- Figure 20: Index of volume of works and domestic steel consumption in Russian building industry in 1996-2013, mln tones