Product Code: IRTNTR7394
Market overview of the wine market in Europe
Technavio's market research analyst predicts the wine market in Europe to witness a decline at a rate of around 0.62% during the forecast period. The falling production of grapes in Europe is the primary driver for the decline of the market. Adverse weather conditions in the region are affecting the production of grapes, which is the major component of wines. During 2012, Europe witnessed a 62% decline in grape wine production.
The rise in dominance of the US as a wine consumer is also expected to deter the growth of the wine market in Europe. Currently, 39% of the wine consumed is outside Europe, especially in countries such as the US, China, and Argentina.
Product segmentation and analysis of the wine market in Europe
Still wine dominated the wine market in Europe with a market share of 94% during 2014. However, this segment is expected to witness a decline in share during the forecast period. Siglo and Campo Viejo from Pernod Ricard are the most popular wines in this segment.
Segmentation by distribution and analysis of the wine market in Europe
- Supermarkets and hypermarkets
- Specialist retailers
- Online retail
Supermarkets and hypermarkets led the wine distribution channel in Europe with a market share of 48% during 2014. Supermarkets allow the consumers to indulge in wine tasting before buying; along with making a choice of the origin and ageing of wine suitable to them.
Segmentation by packaging and analysis of the wine market in Europe
- Glass bottles
- Liquid cartons
- Pet bottles
- Bags in-box
- Metal beverage can
Glass bottles accounted for nearly 95% of the market share during 2014. In Western Europe, during 2014, nearly half of the wine sold was in glass bottles.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
The wine market in Europe is fragmented due to the presence of numerous producers, wineries and distributors of wine. The providers in the market compete on the basis of several factors such as price, quality, innovation, service, reputation, distribution, and promotion.
The leading vendors in the market are -
- Cantine Riunite & CIV
- Garcia Carrion
- Accolade Wines
- Castle Group
- Italiano Vini
Other prominent vendors in the market include Codorniu, Amvyx, Bacardi, Davide Campari-Milano, Casella, Chateau Mouton Rothschild, Diageo, Pernod Ricard, William Grants & Sons, LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, and Rotkappchen Mumm.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2019?
- What are the key factors driving the wine market in Europe?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the wine market in Europe?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in this market space?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the wine market in Europe?
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the wine market in Europe?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by product
- Market overview
- Still wine
- Sparkling wine
PART 07: Market segmentation by distribution channel
PART 08: Market segmentation by packaging
PART 09: Key leading countries
PART 10: Market drivers
- Increasing disposable income
- Increased awareness about wine
- Increase in marketing and promotions
- Strong on-premise channel growth
- Dominance of EU in bulk wine imports
PART 11: Impact of drivers
PART 12: Market challenges
- Rising dominance of US as consumer
- Adverse weather conditions affecting grape production
- Demand for substitute alcoholic drinks
- Counterfeit products
PART 13: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 14: Market trends
- Portable wine
- High popularity of Spanish and Greek wines
- Increasing demand for sparkling wine
- Growth in online retail sector
- Growth of organic wines
PART 15: Vendor landscape
- Competitive scenario
- Other prominent vendors
PART 16: Key vendor analysis
- Accolade Wines
- Cantine Riunite
- Castel Group
- Gruppo Italiano Vini
- J. Garcia Carrion
PART 17: Appendix
PART 18: Explore Technavio
List of Exhibits
- Exhibit 01: Product offerings
- Exhibit 02: Wine imports in European countries 2013
- Exhibit 03: World wine exports change in volume 2012-2013 (million liters)
- Exhibit 04: Wine production process
- Exhibit 05: Wine market in Europe 2014-2019 (billion liters)
- Exhibit 06: Five forces analysis
- Exhibit 07: Global wine market by product 2015-2019
- Exhibit 08: Wine market in Europe by product 2014-2019
- Exhibit 09: Still wine market in Europe 2014-2019 (billion liters)
- Exhibit 10: Sparkling wine market in Europe 2014-2019 (billion liters)
- Exhibit 11: Top European sparkling wine importers in 2008 and 2013 ($ millions)
- Exhibit 12: Wine market in Europe by distribution channel 2014
- Exhibit 13: Wine market in Europe by packaging 2014-2019
- Exhibit 14: Key leading countries 2014
- Exhibit 15: Wine market in France 2014-2019 (billion liters)
- Exhibit 16: Wine market in France by product 2014
- Exhibit 17: Wine market in Italy 2014-2019 (billion liters)
- Exhibit 18: Wine market in Italy by product 2014
- Exhibit 19: Wine market in Germany 2014-2019 (billion liters)
- Exhibit 20: Wine market in Germany by product 2014
- Exhibit 21: Wine market in UK 2014-2019 (billion liters)
- Exhibit 22: Wine market in UK by product 2014
- Exhibit 23: Wine market in Russia 2014-2019 (billion liters)
- Exhibit 24: Wine market in Russia by product 2014
- Exhibit 25: Major drivers in wine market in Europe
- Exhibit 26: Alcoholic beverage sales in UK 2013
- Exhibit 27: Bulk wine imports by value 2013
- Exhibit 28: Impact of drivers
- Exhibit 29: Major challenges in wine market in Europe
- Exhibit 30: Impact of drivers and challenges
- Exhibit 31: Major trends in wine market in Europe
- Exhibit 32: Cantine Riunite: Business segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 33: Cantine Riunite: Geographical segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 34: Castel Group: Business segmentation
- Exhibit 35: Caviro: Business segmentation
- Exhibit 36: Gruppo Italiano Vini: Brand segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 37: Gruppo Italiano Vini: Geographical segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 38: J. Garcia Carrion: Product segmentation