Product Code: IRTNTR7663
Outlook and forecast for the global MOOCs market
Technavio's market research analysts predict the global MOOC market to grow at a CAGR of over 46% from 2015 to 2019. This research report considers revenues generated through platform licensing, course certifications, examinations, tutoring, and other personalized student services.
Among the various e-learning methodologies, learning through MOOCs is gaining momentum across the globe because of its ability to offer education irrespective of geographical boundaries and different time frames. Continuous innovation in e-learning tools, flexible delivery methods, and the availability of a variety of online courses offered by the various vendors in the market have significantly increased the dependency of individuals as well as corporates on MOOC tools.
Origin of the MOOCs concept and its rapid adoption
The concept of MOOCs was brought about to engage participants in learning by getting linked to a series of computers and listening to and discussing topics. The MOOC concept was first developed in 2008 by Dave Cormier to give life to Siemens and Downes' concept of €~Connectivism and Connective Knowledge' by providing free online courses with no credits to be gained. This structure is known as the cMOOC.
Many organizations are adopting MOOCs to offer employees online training, reduce costs, and increase employee productivity. Also, factors such as continuous innovation in terms of cutting edge delivery methods using smart devices contributes to the growth of this market. Thanks to these encouraging developments, the global MOOCs market is predicted to experience substantial growth in emerging economies over the next four years.
MOOCs market segmentation by end-user
- Education sector
- Corporate sector
The use of MOOCs has emerged as an essential catalyst for the development of progressive programs for both K-12. MOOCs are also considered a boon to the higher education students as it boosts participating students profile in the job market. A recipient of a certificate of a relevant course taught by world-class professors offers an edge over the other profiles.
Geographical segmentation of the global MOOCs market
In 2014, the US emerged as the highest revenue contributor to the market in the Americas, followed by Brazil. The launch of Veduca Edtech in Brazil attracted more than 10,000 students in the first two weeks, indicating high demand for MOOC technology in the region.
Leading vendor analysis of the global MOOCs market
To overcome the lack of faculty support, MOOCs providers such as Coursera are introducing advanced delivery systems that cater to students by making questions appear in a forum where other students can discuss and answer.
In the future, vendors are expected to introduce virtual labs, for instance, in electronics and circuits course, a learner can build circuits and tests its effectiveness online, without practically working in the lab.
Other prominent market vendors include Khan Academy, Codecademy, StraighterLine, Apple, Iversity, NovoEd, and MOOC2Degree.
Key questions answered in the report
- What are the key factors driving the global MOOCs market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global MOOCs market?
- What are the various opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global MOOCs market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares for the global MOOCs market?
- Market shares for APAC, EMEA, and Americas?
- Key outcome of the five forces analysis on the global MOOCs market?
- Growth forecast of the global MOOCs market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
- Offerings of top vendors
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by end-user
- Global MOOCs market segmentation by end-user
- Global MOOCs market in education sector
- Global MOOCs market in corporate sector
PART 07: Geographical segmentation
- Global MOOCs market by geographical segmentation
- MOOCs market in Americas
- MOOCs market in EMEA
- MOOCs market in APAC
PART 08: Key leading countries
PART 09: Market drivers
- Rising cost of education
- Demand for skills development across industries
- Increased demand for distance learning
- Active adoption of digital software
- Rise in adoption of tablets
PART 10: Impact of drivers
PART 11: Market challenges
- Growth of blended learning
- Increasing level of dropouts
- Sustainability of MOOC providers
- Lack of recognition
PART 12: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 13: Market trends
- Big data tools and analytics
- Globalization of quality education
- Advanced pedagogy
- Rise in development of digital education content
PART 14: Vendor landscape
- Competitive landscape
- Market vendor analysis 2014
PART 15: Key vendor analysis
PART 16: Other prominent vendors
- Khan Academy
PART 17: Appendix
PART 18: Explore Technavio
List of Exhibits
- Exhibit 01: Product offerings
- Exhibit 02: Evolution of MOOCs
- Exhibit 03: Comparison between xMOOC and cMOOC
- Exhibit 04: Global MOOCs market by enrollee gender 2014
- Exhibit 05: Global MOOCs market by enrollee age 2014
- Exhibit 06: Global MOOCs market by educational qualification of enrollee 2014
- Exhibit 07: Global MOOCs market course preference 2014
- Exhibit 08: Revenue generation models of MOOCs
- Exhibit 09: Global MOOCs market 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 10: Five forces analysis
- Exhibit 11: Global MOOCs market segmentation by end-user 2014
- Exhibit 12: Global MOOCs market segmentation by end-user 2019
- Exhibit 13: Global MOOCs market segmentation by end-user 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 14: Global MOOCs market segmentation by end-user 2014-2019
- Exhibit 15: Global MOOCs market in education sector 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 16: Global MOOCs market in corporate sector 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 17: Global MOOCs market by geographical segmentation 2014
- Exhibit 18: Global MOOCs market by geographical segmentation 2019
- Exhibit 19: Global MOOCs market by geographical segmentation 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 20: Global MOOCs market by geographical segmentation 2014-2019
- Exhibit 21: MOOCs market in Americas 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 22: MOOCs market in EMEA 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 23: MOOCs market in APAC 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 24: Global MOOCs market segmentation by leading countries 2014
- Exhibit 25: Impact of drivers
- Exhibit 26: Impact of drivers and challenges
- Exhibit 27: edX: Product segmentation
- Exhibit 28: Udacity: Product segmentation
- Exhibit 29: Udemy: Product segmentation