Product Code: IRTNTR8217
Market outlook of the forging market
Technavio predicts the global forging market to exhibit a healthy CAGR of around 8% during the forecast period. Forging is an appropriate substitution to the casting methodology as it ensures greater efficiency, reliability, and precision. Custom forging accounts for the largest segment. In North America, this segment achieves sales figures worth $6 billion annually. Some of the major end-users of the forging industry include automotive, aerospace and defense, agriculture, construction, mining, general industrial equipment, and material handling equipment to name a few.
This industry research report outlines the automotive sector as the major end-user for the forging market. Characteristics associated with forged parts such as reliability, strength, and economic viability have increased the importance of the use of forged parts in this sector. But with the automotive industry reaching a mature stage in the forging market, it is expected that other non-automotive sectors will mostly contribute to the growth of the global forging market until 2020.
Technology segmentation and analysis of the global forging market
- Impression die
- Open die
- Rolled ring
The impression die segment is the most dominant type of technology being used in the market. Impression-die forging methodology is also commonly termed as closed die forging. This method is most widely used in commercial forging processes due to its extreme dimensional accuracy and fine surface finish. Automotive and aerospace, especially the commercial aviation segment, are the two biggest end-users of impression die forging methodology.
End-user segmentation and analysis of the global forging market
Growth in the automotive industry plays a crucial role in boosting demand for forged products as it is the largest revenue contributor of the global forging market. The automotive sector is the leading end-user segment for this market, and it is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 7% during the forecast period. Parameters such as reliability, strength, and economic viability have increased the importance of forged parts in this sector.
Geographical segmentation and analysis of the forging market
APAC accounts for the largest share of the forging industry, contributing about 61% of the total revenue generated. It is estimated to grow at a CAGR of around 9% during the forecast period. Increasing outsourcing of forging activities to low-cost countries in the region is expected to drive this regional market. Demand for infrastructural development in developing countries and the emergence of India as the manufacturing hub for the automotive industry will propel the growth of the market in this region.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
The global forging market is highly fragmented because of the presence of numerous small and large vendors. The providers in this market compete on the basis of price, quality, innovation, service, reputation, distribution, and promotion. Recent trends suggest that major vendors are investing in R&D to explore avenues in the non-automotive sector to increase the market revenue.
The leading vendors in the market are -
- Bharat Forge
- Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal
The other prominent vendors of the market include Aichi Steel, KITZ, Mahindra Forging, Schuler Group, and SNT.
Key questions answered in the report
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global forging market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the forging market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in this market space?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global forging market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA?
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the forging market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
- Top-vendor offerings
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by technology
- Global open die forging market
- Global impression die forging market
- Global rolled ring forging market
PART 07: Market segmentation by end user
- Global forging market in automotive industry
- Brief overview of global automotive industry
- Global forging market in non-automotive industry
PART 08: Geographical segmentation
- Forging market in Asia Pacific (APAC)
- Forging market in Americas
- Forging market in Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)
PART 09: Market drivers
- Benefits of forging over casting
- Demand from aerospace industry
- Growing demand for renewable energy equipment
PART 10: Impact of drivers
PART 11: Market challenges
- Increase in variable costs
- Intense competition
- Stagnant growth in automotive industry
PART 12: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 13: Market trends
- Technological developments
- Outsourcing of forging activity to emerging economies
PART 14: Vendor landscape
- Bharat Forge
- Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal
- Other prominent vendors
PART 15: Key vendor analysis
- Bharat Forge
- Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal
PART 16: Appendix
PART 17: Explore Technavio
List of Exhibits
- Exhibit 01: Product offerings
- Exhibit 02: Global forging market 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 03: US automotive sales 2007-2015 (million units)
- Exhibit 04: Global passenger cars and commercial vehicles sales 2008-2014 (million units)
- Exhibit 05: Global open die forging market 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 06: Global impression die forging market 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 07: Global rolled ring forging market 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 08: Global forging market in automotive industry 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 09: Global automobile production 2000-2014 (million units)
- Exhibit 10: Automotive sector in China
- Exhibit 11: Automotive sector in Japan
- Exhibit 12: Automotive sector in US
- Exhibit 13: Global forging market in non-automotive industry 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 14: Forging market in APAC 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 15: Forging output in China
- Exhibit 16: Forging production by end-user industry in Japan (2015)
- Exhibit 17: Production and capacity of forging market in India
- Exhibit 18: Forging market in Americas 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 19: Sales of forging products in North America 2002-2013 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 20: Forging market in EMEA 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 21: Forging market in Europe by end-user
- Exhibit 22: Aircraft production by Boeing 2012
- Exhibit 23: Aircraft production by category by 2032
- Exhibit 24: Source of global energy consumption 2014
- Exhibit 25: Key indicators for selected types of renewables
- Exhibit 26: Top five countries in terms of renewable energy capacity/generation 2014
- Exhibit 27: Impact of drivers
- Exhibit 28: Hourly compensation costs in manufacturing industry ($)
- Exhibit 29: Cost of copper August 2014 to January 2015 ($/MT)
- Exhibit 30: Cost of iron ore August 2014 to August 2015 ($/MT)
- Exhibit 31: Cost of stainless steel June 2014 to May 2015 ($/ton)
- Exhibit 32: Automotive sales 2011-2014 (millions of units)
- Exhibit 33: Impact of drivers and challenges
- Exhibit 34: Alcoa: Business segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 35: ATI: Business segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 36: Bharat Forge: Business segmentation by revenue 2015
- Exhibit 37: Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal: Business segmentation by revenue 2015
- Exhibit 38: ThyssenKrupp: Business segmentation by revenue 2014