The Vietnamese water and wastewater sector is an excellent market that is just about to take off. Many factors are making this a very attractive market for the private sector including the country's rapid urbanisation and industrialisation, a projected GDP growth rate of over 8%, government support for private sector participation and major funding from official development assistance donors.
Taking all these factors into account, capital expenditure is set to treble from $300 million in 2011 to $830 million by 2018 - and now is the time to plan your involvement in this growing market. We explore opportunities in donor-financed WTP, WWTP and networks projects as well as a growing market for private WWTPs to serve industrial zones, real estate developments and resorts.
Global Water Intelligence Market Insight: Vietnam will explore the best opportunities for the private sector, analyse the procurement models and supply chains and give you concrete sales leads via project trackers and a utilities database.
*This report will not include any regulations data.*
** This report is a PDF only publication**
Market drivers and opportunities
The Vietnamese government are putting urban water and wastewater coverage high on their list of priorities over the next decade - aiming to achieve 100% water coverage and 50-80% centralised water collection and treatment by 2025.
We explore the opportunities in the water treatment plant (WTP), wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) and network projects and show you the best avenues for private sector involvement:
- Official development assistance (ODA) donor projects - this report identifies the most prominent donor organisations, analyses exactly how their projects work and assess the opening for international private companies, dependent on the donor that is running the project. This in-depth analysis will allow you to realistically assess the opportunities for your business in these projects.
- Private-private contracts - the market for foreign companies to work on WTP and WWTPs is growing rapidly. We analyse the trends and regulatory frameworks that are driving this growth; the most common contracts and the opportunities they offer; and exactly how you can get involved in these projects ahead of your competition.
- Private operators - the report offers a realistic insight into the opportunities for private operators in this market and analyse the potential openings for your business in the future.
Accessing the market
This market insight report gives you invaluable advice from industry insiders on how to do business in this country, so you can break into the market or increase your existing presence.
By interviewing experts who have concrete experience in that country, we reveal how the market works in practice and give you strategies to successfully enter the supply chain, offering:
- Analysis of procurement processes and market penetration strategies
- Supply chain analysis
- A list of key water market players and who your potential partners or competitors will be
- Possible ways to enter the supply chain alongside the dominant market players
A database of 76 water utilities in Vietnam...
We have already highlighted that there are increasing opportunities for the private sector in Vietnam, and have given strategies for accessing these opportunities.
The final part of this report will allow you to follow up this advice with concrete sales leads and a deep understanding of each water utility and its service. We give you direct access to and contacts details for each utility and the decision maker where possible.
For each utility you will receive the following information:
- Utility name
- General email address
- Water services
- Wastewater services
- Drainage/stormwater service
- Other services
- Service area type
- Service area description
- Ownership type
- Name of the owner/contract operator
- Population served water (number)
- Population served wastewater (number)
- Water connections (number)
- Wastewater connections (number)
- Water pipe network (km)
- Wastewater pipe network (km)
- Name of Head of the organisation
- Job title
- Phone number
Forecasts and datasets
Accompanying spreadsheets and datasets
The report is accompanied by two spreadsheets, which contain the market forecast and additional datasets.
Market forecast spreadsheets
The market forecast spreadsheet brings together the forecast information from the end of the market section of the report, so that you can manipulate the information.
The forecasts included are:
- Utility capital expenditure by spending area.
- Industrial capital expenditure by industry.
- Utility equipment capital expenditure by equipment line.
- Industrial equipment capital expenditure by equipment line.
- Utility water and wastewater operating expenditure.
- Utility and industrial expenditure on chemicals.
The datasets spreadsheet provides the following supplementary information to the report, as appropriate for the country.
Water and wastewater indicators.
A dataset that gives context to the report by quantifying the level of utility coverage. See the Indicators of utility service coverage section on the following page for full details.
Water and watsewater utilities.
A dataset of utilities that serve more then 50,000 people. Where available, data fields include state/region/province and city (where applicable), utility name, address, phone, website, general email address, water services, wastewater services, drainage / stormwater service, other services, service area type, service area description, ownership type , name of owner / contract operator (when there is private sector involvement), population served water, population served wastewater , water connections , wastewater connections , water pipe network length, wastewater pipe network length, head of organisation name, job title, email address and phone number.
A dataset of awarded contracts with some degree of private sector participation. Where available, data fields include start year, end year, contract type (e.g. O&M), contract scope, contract name, private company, water population served, wastewater population served, water capacity, wastewater capacity, stake held by company, project type (e.g. BOT), contract length (years), contract value, expected cost, client.
Table of Contents
- ODA financed projects
- Private-private contracts
- Private operators
- Accompanying spreadsheets and datasets
- Forecast categories
- Utility and industrial forecast category definitions
- Indicators of utility service coverage
- Indicators of water service coverage
- Indicators of wastewater service coverage
- Other market reports from Global Water Intelligence
- Country market reports
- Primary research reports
- Other reports
- Consulting services
- 1.1 Overview of indicators
- Figure 1.1 Population projections, 2010-2020
- Figure 1.2 Economic indicators
- 1.2 Context and overview of challenges
- 1.3 Water sector organisation and structure
- Figure 1.3 Governmental ministries and agencies responsible for the water sector in Vietnam
- 1.3.1 Main governmental agencies
- 1.3.2 Other agencies
- 1.3.3 Classification of urban areas in Vietnam
- Figure 1.4 Classification of Vietnam's urban areas and future projections
- 1.3.4 Water and wastewater service providers
- 22.214.171.124 Water service providers
- Figure 1.5 Water utilities in Vietnam, 2009
- 126.96.36.199 Wastewater service providers
- 1.4 Government's water strategy
- 1.4.1 Vietnam's national water strategy
- 1.4.2 Urban water plans
- Figure 1.6 Vietnam's water targets for urban areas, 2015-2025
- 1.4.3 Urban wastewater plans
- Figure 1.7 Vietnam's wastewater targets for urban areas, 2015-2025
- 1.4.4 Rural water supply and sanitation (RWSS) programme
- Figure 1.8 National Target Programme (NTP) for RWSS - targets to be met by 2015
- 1.5 Water availability and demand
- 1.5.1 Water availability
- Figure 1.9 Water resources in Vietnam, 2011
- 1.5.2 Sectoral water demand
- Figure 1.10 Freshwater withdrawal in Vietnam by sector, 2005
- Figure 1.11 Water withdrawal in Vietnam by water source, 2005
- 1.6 Municipal water and wastewater
- 1.6.1 Drinking water sources in Vietnam
- Figure 1.12 Breakdown of households in Vietnam by main drinking water source, 2002-2010
- Figure 1.13 Breakdown of households in urban & rural areas of Vietnam by main drinking water source, 2010
- 188.8.131.52 Urban water supply
- Figure 1.14 Performance of water utilities in Vietnam in 2009
- Figure 1.16 Total water produced in Vietnam, 2007-2009
- 184.108.40.206 Rural water supply
- 1.6.2 Water treatment
- Figure 1.17 The 10 largest WTPs in Vietnam
- Figure 1.18 Water supply indicators
- Figure 1.19 Wastewater indicators
- 1.6.3 Sanitation in Vietnam
- 1.6.4 Wastewater treatment
- Figure 1.20 Existing WWTPs in Vietnam, 2012
- 1.6.5 Desalination
- 1.7 Water finance
- 1.7.1 Funding sources
- 220.127.116.11 Tariffs
- Figure 1.21 Water tariffs in Hanoi and HCMC, 2012
- 18.104.22.168 Official development assistance (ODA) funding
- Figure 1.22 ODA funding in Vietnam's water and wastewater sector since 1996
- 1.7.2 Future investment needs
- 22.214.171.124 Urban water and wastewater
- Figure 1.24 Future investment needs to achieve water supply targets by 2020
- Figure 1.25 Future investment needs to achieve drainage and wastewater targets by 2020
- 126.96.36.199 Rural water supply and sanitation programme (RWSS)
- Figure 1.26 Budget for RWSS implementation, 2012-2015
- 1.7.3 Operating expenditure
- Figure 1.27 Estimated water utility operating costs, 2007-2009
- 1.8 Private sector participation
- 1.8.1 General issues regarding private involvement in the water sector
- 1.8.2 Regulatory framework for PPP
- 188.8.131.52 Decree 108
- 184.108.40.206 Decision 71
- 220.127.116.11 Equitised assets
- 18.104.22.168 Private-private contracts
- Figure 1.28 JICA PPP preparatory survey funded projects
- 1.9 Procurement process for water and wastewater infrastructure
- 1.9.1 Overview of the procurement process
- 1.9.2 Standard public procurement
- 22.214.171.124 Standard procurement on paper
- 126.96.36.199 Standard procurement in practice
- 1.9.3 IFI-financed projects
- 1.9.4 Bilateral donor-financed projects
- 1.9.5 Other opportunities for private companies
- 1.9.6 Corruption
- 1.10 Supply chain
- 1.10.1 Consulting engineers
- Figure 1.29 Consulting engineers active in Vietnam
- 1.10.2 Contractors
- Figure 1.30 EPC companies active in Vietnam
- 1.10.3 Private operators
- 1.10.4 Equipment suppliers
- Figure 1.31 Equipment suppliers active in Vietnam
- 1.11 Current and future key projects in Vietnam
- Figure 1.32 Current and future projects funded by the ADB and World Bank in Vietnam
- Figure 1.33 List of future WWTPs in Vietnam
- Figure 1.34 List of future WTPs in Vietnam
- 1.12 Future market directions
- 1.12.1 Overview
- 1.12.2 Notes on the market forecast
- 1.13 Market forecast
- Figure 1.35 Market forecast, 2011-2018
- Figure 1.36 Market forecast breakdown, 2013
- Figure 1.37 Market forecast data, 2011-2018
- Figure 1.38 Industrial markets, 2013-2017
2. Vietnam - Utilities