This quarterly series provides data and analysis for the ISO/RTO markets where distributed energy resources are making
headway. Each report assesses key developments and opportunities in each territory, and provides forward-looking insights on
market size and potential for demand-side flexibility through demand response (DR) programs.
- PJM is starting the year with declining revenues for curtailment service providers across its markets. As the base residual auction with full capacity performance products approaches in May, the uniform product coupled with new aggregation rules poses significant challenges for market participants.
- PJM is in the process of assessing the effectiveness of the Reliability Pricing Model.
- FERC rejected the MISO Forward Capacity Auction Proposal that was supposed to go into effect in delivery year 2018/2019.
- In the April capacity auction for delivery year 2017/2018, capacity cleared a uniform price of $1.50/MW-day across all zones. There is nearterm abundance of resources and lower demand across the region.
- California continues to see declining levels of demand response across the three IOUs.
- The demand response auction mechanism for 2017 nearly tripled in capacity when compared to the first auction in early 2016. Utilities and vendors are gearing up for the third auction which will procure capacity for 2018 and 2019.
- ERCOT is focusing on the long-term effects of increasing levels of distributed energy resources in its territory, putting forth a document on reliability impacts.
- The 2016 ERCOT demand response report reveals that six energy storage resources in 2016 registered to provide Fast Responding Regulation Down Service in the ISO; two of these resources qualified and began participating on a regular basis.
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction and Key Takeaways
- 2. PJM Interconnection
- 3. Midcontinent Independent System Operator
- 4. California Independent System Operator
- 5. Electric Reliability Council of Texas
- 6. Hawaii Update
- 7. Business Updates
- 8. Regulatory Updates
- 9. Appendix
List of Figures
2. Introduction and Key Takeaways
- Demand Response Availability in ISO/RTO Territories, Q1 2016 and Q1 2017
2. PJM Interconnection
- Demand Response in PJM Markets
- Select National Aggregators in PJM
- 2016 Revenues by Market
- Demand Response Availability at the End of 2016
- Load Management Demand Response Monthly Capacity Revenue, 2013 - 2017
- Committed ICAP (MW) by Product Type and Zone for 2016/17 Delivery Year
- Demand Response From DER in the Capacity Market
- PJM Demand Response Economic Energy Settled MWhs Trend
- PJM Demand Response Regulation Settled MWhs Trend for DER
- PJM Demand Response Synchronized Reserves Settled MWhs Trend
3. Midcontinent Independent System Operator
- MISO Demand Respond Program Description
- Available Demand Respond and Behind-the-Meter Generation in MISO
- Timeline for CRS Filing with FERC
- Capacity and Clearing Prices for MISO Planning Resources Auctions 2013/2014 to 2017/2018
- Planning Resource Auction Results for 2013/2014 to 2017/2018
4. California Independent System Operator
- Average Demand Response Capacity Available
- CAISO-Administered Demand Response Programs
- SCE Registered vs Nonregistered MW of Integrated Programs
- Summer Discount Plan (SDP) DR Event Frequency is Driving Customers Away
- SDP Residential Load Impact per Service Account
- DRAM Evolution from 2016 to 2018
- DRAM 2017: Estimated Capacity Allocation by Utility
- DRAM Winners for 2016 to 2017
- Vendors and Total Capacity Awarded in DRAM 2017
5. Electric Reliability Council of Texas
- ERCOT-Controlled Programs Diagram
- Emergency Response Services Procurement February 1, 2017 to May 31, 2017
- Aggregator Maximum Capacity (MW) in ERS-10: ERS Generators
- Aggregator Maximum Capacity (MW) in ERS-10: ERS Loads
- Aggregator Maximum Capacity (MW) in ERS-30: ERS Generators
- Aggregator Maximum Capacity (MW) in ERS-30: ERS Loads
- Load Resource Types and Availability in 2016
- Estimated Demand Response From Retail Electric Provider Programs (2016)
- Unregistered Distributed Generation Installed Capacity in Q4 2016
8. Regulatory Update
- Proposed FERC Requirements for Energy Storage Participation in Wholesale Markets
- Independent System Operators and Regional Transmission Organizations
- DER Aggregation, Coordination and Scheduling Entities
- Disqualifying the Provision of Emergency DR from Diesel and Other Combustion Engines Ruling Timeline
- PJM Regulation Market: Estimated Average Monthly Capacity by Resource Type, 2014 - 2016
- PJM Capacity Market Timing
- PJM Generator Reliability Attribute Matrix
- PJM Demand Response Product Availability for Delivery Year 2016/2017