Product Code: GDME1105CFR
Spinal fusion surgery is a well-established procedure that has been performed since the early 1900s. The procedure has benefited immensely from its long history of use, investments in advancing technologies, and its clinical success in a growing variety of spinal conditions. These traits have led spinal fusion surgery to become one of the most frequently performed surgeries in the US, which is undoubtedly, the largest geographic market for this procedure. Given the global phenomenon of an aging society and the associated increasing incidences of degenerative spinal conditions, the spinal fusion market is expected to remain strong over the forecast period.
The specific anatomical regions being operated on are covered, including cervical and thoracolumbar. Furthermore, this report analyzes the adoption of these implantables in single-, double-, and triple-level surgeries, creating the most comprehensive and accurate market valuations and coverage. The report analyzes how these surgical trends vary in the major markets in European Union including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom (UK).
- An overview of Spinal fusion, which includes epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized EU Spinal fusion market revenue and future forecasts from 2011 to 2013, forecast for 7 years to 2020.
- Investigation of current and future market competition for Spinal fusion.
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges as well as predicted impact of key events.
- Competitor assessment including device approval analysis and device sales forecasts.
- Marketed and pipeline product profiles covering efficiency, safety, clinical study details, device approvals, product positioning and device sales forecast.
- Analysis of unmet needs within the market and opportunities for future players.
- Technology trends evaluation to assess strength of pipeline.
- An overview of all devices in development including clinical study details, design and material selection considerations, efficacy reports, and device approval timelines.
- Company profiles including business description, financial overview and SWOT analysis.
- Coverage of key market players.
- Strategic assessment of the Spinal fusion sector through market impact analysis, future market scenario and company analysis.
- Direct quotes from Key Opinion Leaders (KOL) as well as doctors
Reasons to buy
- Understand the trends shaping and driving EU Spinal fusion market.
- Realize device preferences of physicians who have performed the tests already.
- Access market sizing, forecasts and quantified growth opportunities in EU Spinal fusion market through 2018.
- Quantify candidate patient populations to better design product pricing & launch plans.
- Drive revenues, formulate effective sales and marketing strategies and gain in-depth understanding of the competitive landscape.
- Perform benchmarking analysis of growth opportunities against currently marketed products.
- Assess competitiveness of products in market by understanding the strengths and weaknesses of current competition.
- Take a comprehensive look at the market's device pipeline and identify promising, paradigm-shifting products.
- Create an effective counter-strategy to gain a competitive advantage against those currently in the market.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present the best opportunities for growth.
- What's the next big thing in EU Spinal fusion market landscape? Identify, understand and capitalize.
Table of Contents
1. Table of Contents
- 1.1. List of Tables
- 1.2. List of Figures
- 2.1. Overview
- 2.2. Catalyst
3. Industry Overview
- 3.1. Indications
- 3.2. Types of Devices
- 3.2.1. Spinal Plating Systems
- 3.2.2. Interbody Cages
- 3.2.3. Pedicle Screw Systems
- 3.3. Procedure Trends
- 3.4. Market Access
- 3.4.1. Regulation
- 3.4.2. Adoption
- 3.4.3. Reimbursement Trends
4. Market Dynamics: Mergers, Acquisitions and Key Partnerships
- 4.1. Overview
- 4.1.1. Amedica Corporation Acquires US Spine
- 4.1.2. Alphatec Spine Acquires Scient'x Group
- 4.1.3. Biomet Acquires Lanx, Inc.
- 4.1.4. Globus Medical Acquires Facet Solutions
- 4.1.5. Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation Acquires SeaSpine, Inc.
- 4.1.6. Medtronic Acquires Advanced Medical Technologies and China's Kanghui
- 4.1.7. Nuvasive Acquires ANC
- 4.1.8. TranS1 Inc. Acquires Baxano Inc.
- 4.2. Economic Impact
5. Unmet Needs
- 5.1. Improved Reimbursement Coverage for Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- 5.2. Lack of Definitive Methods to Determine Fusion Performance
- 5.3. Technological Developments in the Use of Long Fusions
- 5.4. Research and Development into Fusion Enhancers
- 5.5. Improve Osseointegration of Bone and Screw Interface
6. Market Opportunity Analysis
- 6.1. Develop Signature Minimally Invasive Technique
- 6.2. Market Minimally Invasive Training Opportunities to Fellowship Programs
- 6.3. Increased Collaboration of Medical Device Implants and Biologics
- 6.4. Develop a Device that Provides Real-Time Fusion Updates
- 6.5. Increased Customization of Spinal Implants to Patient Anatomy
7. Market Drivers
- 7.1. Aging Patient Populations
- 7.2. Growth in the Spinal Stenosis Indication
- 7.3. Gold Standard for Treating Spinal Instability and Degenerative Conditions
- 7.4. Treatment for a Variety of Indications
- 7.5. Preference for Minimally Invasive Techniques
- 7.6. Advances in Navigation Technology
8. Market Barriers
- 8.1. Incidence of Adjacent Segment Disease
- 8.2. Performance of Non-Fusion Technologies
- 8.3. Increased Scrutiny over Spinal Fusion's Necessity in the US
- 8.4. Restricted Reimbursement from Private Payers
- 8.5. Performance in Treating Axial Back Pain
9. Pipeline Assessment
10. Clinical Trial Analysis
11. Current and Future Players
- 11.1. Overview
- 11.2. Trends in Corporate Strategy
- 11.3. Company Profiles
- 11.3.1. Aesculap
- 11.3.2. Alphatec Spine
- 11.3.3. Amedica Corporation
- 11.3.4. Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
- 11.3.5. DePuy Spine
- 11.3.6. Globus Medical
- 11.3.7. K2M
- 11.3.8. Biomet
- 11.3.9. Stryker
- 11.3.10. Zimmer
- 11.3.11. Nuvasive
- 11.3.12. Orthofix
- 11.3.13. Integra LifeSciences
12. Market Outlook
- 12.1. Company Market Share
- 12.2. By Geography
- 12.2.1. France
- 12.2.2. Germany
- 12.2.3. Italy
- 12.2.4. Spain
- 12.2.5. UK
- 13.1. Bibliography
- 13.2. Abbreviations
- 13.3. Report Methodology
- 13.3.1. Overview
- 13.3.2. Coverage
- 13.3.3. Primary Research
- 13.3.4. Secondary Research
- 13.3.5. Forecasting Methodology
- 13.4. Key Opinion Leaders Included in this Study
- 13.5. About the Authors
- 13.5.1. Joseph A. Gregory, Analyst, Surgical Devices
- 13.5.2. Derek Archila, MBA, Director of Research and Analysis, Medical Devices
- 13.6. Global Head of Healthcare
- 13.6.1. Bonnie Bain, Ph.D., Global Head of Healthcare
- 13.7. About MediPoint
- 13.8. About GlobalData
- 13.9. Disclaimer
List of Tables
- Table 1: Indications for Lumbar Spinal Fusion
- Table 2: Adoption of Spinal Fusion and Spinal Non-Fusion, 5EU, 2013 and 2020
- Table 3: Spinal Plating Systems CAGR, 5EU, Based on 2013 and 2020 Procedure Volumes
- Table 4: Interbody Cages CAGR, 5EU, Based on 2013 and 2020 Procedure Volumes
- Table 5: Pedicle Screw Systems CAGR, 5EU, Based on 2013 and 2020 Procedure Volumes
- Table 6: Adoption of Spinal Implants for Cervical Fusion Procedures, 5EU, 2013
- Table 7: Adoption of Spinal Implants for Thoracolumbar Fusion Procedures, 5EU, 2013
- Table 8: Mergers & Acquisitions, 2010-2014
- Table 9: Population Aged 60 Years Old or Over, 1950-2050 (in millions) (percentage in older ages)
- Table 10: Overall Perceived Advantages of Minimally Invasive Surgery Techniques, 2007
- Table 11: Overall Perceived Limitations of Minimally Invasive Surgery Techniques, 2007
- Table 12: Company Portfolio - Aesculap
- Table 13: Product Portfolio - Aesculap
- Table 14: Company Portfolio - Alphatec Spine
- Table 15: Product Portfolio - Alphatec Spine
- Table 16: Company Portfolio - Amedica
- Table 17: Product Portfolio - Amedica
- Table 18: Company Portfolio - Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
- Table 19: Product Portfolio - Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
- Table 20: Company Portfolio - DePuy Spine
- Table 21: Product Portfolio - DePuy Spine
- Table 22: Company Portfolio - Globus Medical
- Table 23: Product Portfolio - Globus Medical
- Table 24: Company Portfolio - K2M
- Table 25: Product Portfolio - K2M
- Table 26: Company Portfolio - Biomet
- Table 27: Product Portfolio - Biomet
- Table 28: Company Portfolio - Stryker
- Table 29: Product Portfolio - Stryker
- Table 30: Company Portfolio - Zimmer
- Table 31: Product Portfolio - Zimmer
- Table 32: Company Portfolio - Nuvasive
- Table 33: Product Portfolio - Nuvasive
- Table 34: Company Portfolio - Orthofix
- Table 35: Product Portfolio - Orthofix
- Table 36: Company Portfolio - Integra LifeSciences
- Table 37: Product Portfolio - Integra LifeSciences
- Table 38: Spinal Surgery, 5EU Company Market Share, 2012
- Table 39: France Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
- Table 40: Germany Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
- Table 41: Italy Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
- Table 42: Spain Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
- Table 43: UK Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
List of Figures
- Figure 1: Spinal Plating Procedure Volumes, 5EU, 2011-2020
- Figure 2: Interbody Cages Procedure Volumes, 5EU, 2011-2020
- Figure 3: Pedicle Screw Systems Procedure Volumes, 5EU, 2011-2020
- Figure 4: Spinal Fusion Procedure Volumes, US, 2002-2011
- Figure 5: Spinal Surgery, 5EU Company Market Share, 2012
- Figure 6: France Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
- Figure 7: Germany Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
- Figure 8: Italy Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
- Figure 9: Spain Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020
- Figure 10: UK Spinal Fusion Sales ($m) Forecast, 2011-2020