Product Code: D7F1
Where Does The World's Second Largest Economy Stand ?
In 2015, China became the first office to receive a million patent applications in a single year. Chinese patent office received almost as many as the combined total received by patent offices in US, Japan, and South Korea. Such recent developments are closely watched by Governments, Policymakers and Multinational corporations outside China and they have several questions in their mind. This research service aims to provide answers to following questions.
- Where does China stand on various innovation indices globally?
- What factors led to China's significant improvement in its R&D-based innovation ranking during last few years?
- What were the policy initiatives taken by Chinse government which boosted innovation ecosystem in China?
- What is the global competitiveness of scientific publications and intellectual property (IP) rights obtained by the Chinse inventors?
Table of Contents
1.0. Executive Summary
- 1.1. China Has Significantly Improved Its Innovation Ranking in the Last Decade and Now It Is Featured in the Top 25 List Globally
- 1.2. Research Objectives and Scope
- 1.3. The Chinese Innovation Puzzle?
- 1.4. Innovation Is an Outcome of Close Collaboration between Multiple Stakeholders
2.0. Global Innovation Index (GII)
- 2.1. Global Innovation Index (GII) Ranked 127 Countries Based on 7 Parameters Covering 5 Innovation Inputs and 2 Outputs
- 2.2. Global Innovation Index Ranks China at Number 22
- 2.3. China Has Improved its Ranking on Global Innovation Index by 7 Places between 2014 and 2017
- 2.4. USA, UK, Germany, Japan, France, and Canada Ranked Ahead of China based on Global Innovation Index
- 2.5. China is Ranked at 31st and 11th and Based on Innovation Input and Output Parameters Respectively
3.0. Bloomberg Innovation Index (2017)
- 3.1. Parameters Used for Bloomberg Innovation Index
- 3.2. Bloomberg Innovation Index Ranks China at Number 21
4.0. World Economic Forum (WEF) R&D Innovation Index (2016-17)
- 4.1. World Economic Forum's R&D-Based Innovation Index Ranked China at Number 36
5.0. The US Chamber of Commerce's Global Intellectual Property Center (GIPC) Ranking
- 5.1. Parameters Used for GIPC IP Index
- 5.2. The US Chamber of Commerce's GIPC IP Index Ranked China at Number 27
6.0. China's Ranking Based on Key Innovation Inputs
- 6.1. Based on GERD (As % of GDP) China Ranked 15th
- 6.2. China Has Significantly Increased Its GERD (As % of GDP) but Still Lags behind USA, Japan, and Germany
- 6.3. China Increased its GERD (As % of GDP) by 58% during the last 10 Years
7.0. China's Ranking Based on Innovation Outputs
- 7.1. China's Ranking Based on Patenting Activity
- 7.1.1. China, USA, and Japan Are Top 3 Patent Offices Based On Patenting Activity Globally
- 7.1.2. In 2015, China Became the First Office to Receive a Million Applications in a Single Year
- 7.1.3. Chinese Patent Office Witnessed 317.18% Increase in Resident Patent Applications per 100 Billion USD GDP between 2005 and 2015
- 7.1.4. Chinese Patent Office Witnessed 880.56% Increase in Resident Patent Applications per Million Population between 2005 and 2015
- 7.1.5. ZTE and Huawei, Telecommunication Equipment Suppliers Based in China, Were Leading PCT Applicants Globally in 2016
- 7.2. China's Ranking Based on Quality of Research Papers
- 7.2.1. China Ranked at 14th Position Based on Quality of Research Publications as Measured by Citable Documents H-index
- 7.3. China's Ranking Based on Inventive Clusters
- 7Tokyo-Yokohama, Shenzhen-Hong Kong, and San Jose-San Francisco Are Top 3 Inventive Clusters Based on Patenting Activity
8.0. IP Protection Regime and Quality Issues in China
- 8.1. Utility Model Provides an Affordable Route for Protection of Inventions and Are Well Adopted by Chinese Inventors
- 8.2. China, Germany, and France Are the Only Countries among the Top 10 Economies Which Allow Utility Models along with Patents
- 8.3. Patent Quantity vs Quality Issue in China
9.0. Analysts Insights
- 9.1. What Factors are Driving China's Improvement in its Ranking?
- 9.2. What Should China Do to Improve its R&D Focused Innovation Ranking Further?
- 9.3. R&D-Focused Innovation System in China - SWOT Analysis
- 9.4. China's Entry into Top 25 List Based on Innovation - What does it Mean for other leading Economies?