The report titled ‘Personal Non-Life Insurance Brokers in the UK’, plus the BrokerBASE™ and market data file that accompany it, investigate the involvement of brokers in the distribution of non-life insurance for individual consumers in the UK. This study first provides data for the size, segmentation and growth of the UK personal non-life insurance market itself. It then quantifies the share of this market that is intermediated by brokers and, based on extensive primary research of all significant broking entities, it ranks the leading 60 brokers in the UK according to their revenues from personal non-life insurance, excluding income from other activities such as commercial lines, employee benefits, wholesale insurance and reinsurance.
This report provides unique data in the following areas:
- the value and segmentation of personal non-life insurance markets from 2010 to 2014;
- the share of this market distributed by brokers in 2010 and 2014;
- the revenues generated for brokers by personal lines insurance business in 2010 and 2014;
- the concentration of the market for personal non-life insurance broking in 2014 defined as the share of revenues of the top three and top ten brokers;
- forecasts for 2018 for the value of personal non-life insurance premiums, brokers' distribution share within this market and the revenues consequently generated from personal lines broking activity.
Moreover, the study can be used in one or more of the following ways:
- to quantify the size, growth and dynamism of the market for personal lines broking in the UK;
- to gain access to a single comprehensive source of information that employs a uniform methodology to quantify the value of the underlying personal non-life insurance market and to quantify brokers' share of distribution;
- to understand the competitive landscape in the UK personal lines broking sector as defined by its degree of market concentration, the market share of national brokers relative to regional and local ones, and brokers' distribution strategies;
- to identify the leading 60 personal non-life insurance brokers in the UK, with coverage of competitors such as Ageas Retail, BGL Group, Hastings Insurance Group, Saga and Swinton Group.
Table of Contents
0.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- What is this report about?
- The focus is uniquely on personal non-life insurance, excluding other types of business...
- ...and on brokerage, albeit not all entities adhere to a pure broking model
- Research program
- Market data analysis
- UK insurance market and distribution publications
- UK consumer research publications
2.0 MARKET ANALYSIS
- Regulatory information
- According to BIBA, UK brokers are burdened with the most expensive regulatory regime in the world
- Personal non-life insurance market
- The value of the underlying personal lines market has declined slightly in recent years
- Personal non-life insurance brokers
- Overview of brokers' presence in the distribution of personal non-life insurance
- Having been under pressure for years, the decline in the distribution share of brokers has slowed...
- ... with some having prospered by setting up affinity or corporate marketing partnerships...
- ... and with others having thrived through focusing on sales through the aggregator channel
- Competitor trends and specialisms
- The separation of AA Insurance Services and Saga has caused the broking market to re-fragment...
- ... helping Swinton Group to become the leader by share of personal lines broking revenues
- Saga acts as a broker for some products but as underwriter or tied agent for others
- Hastings secures the vast majority of business from the aggregator distribution channel
- Even excluding Comparethemarket.com, BGL Group's UK broking operations are substantial
- The personal lines broking business of Ageas is likely to be ranked fifth by market share
- Other brokers ranked in the top ten are characterised by contrasting business models
- Towergate is the only broker in the top ten that obtains less than 70% of revenues from personal lines
- A number of brokers are performing well by focusing on certain specialised policy types...
- ... most commonly motor cycle, classic car and boat / pleasure craft insurance
- Others orient their personal lines broking activity to high net worth individuals
- Brokers' distribution strategies
- Aggregators have proved to be both friend and foe for personal lines brokers
- Arthur J. Gallagher claims by far the highest number of affinity broking partnerships for personal lines
- Almost a half of the top 60 personal lines brokers allow customers to buy cover online...
- ... and a few have a distinct regional focus including three in Northern Ireland
- Future outlook
- Taken as a whole, it is difficult to forecast any growth for the personal lines broking market up to 2018...
- ... which means that brokers must cultivate differentiated areas of expertise for themselves
LIST OF GRAPHICS / TABLES
0.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Key market data for personal non-life insurance brokers in the UK
2.0 MARKET ANALYSIS
- Segmentation of personal non-life insurance gross written premiums in the UK, 2014
- Growth in personal non-life insurance gross written premiums in the UK by segment, 2010 to 2014
- Gross written premiums for personal non-life insurance in the UK by segment, 2010 to 2014 (table)
- Brokers' share of the personal non-life insurance market and revenues earned from it in the UK, 2010 and 2014
- Brokers' share of the personal non-life insurance market and revenues earned from it in the UK, 2010 and 2014 (table)
- Market concentration for personal non-life insurance broking in the UK, 2010 and 2014
- Market shares of personal non-life insurance broking revenues of the top ten brokers in the UK, 2014
- Importance of different types of insurance broking for the top 60 personal non-life insurance brokers in the UK
- Importance of different types of insurance broking for the top 60 personal non-life insurance brokers in the UK (continued)
- Number of personal non-life insurance brokers offering key specialist products in the UK, 2015
- Number of affinity schemes run by personal non-life insurance brokers ranked in the top 60 in the UK segmented by insurance type, 2015
- Online and offline distribution capabilities of the top 60 personal non-life insurance brokers in the UK, 2015
- Brokers' forecast share of the personal non-life insurance market and revenues earned from it in the UK, 2018
- Brokers' forecast share of the personal non-life insurance market and revenues earned from it in the UK, 2018 (table)