Finaccord's report titled ‘Creditor Insurance in Thailand’ offers uniquely detailed insights into the market for creditor insurance, sometimes also referred to as payment protection insurance or loan-related insurance, as acquired by individual borrowers in Thailand. Drawing on the results of a survey of 39 lending institutions, the study analyses the distribution of creditor insurance by banks and other lending institutions, how provision rates vary for different lending products, operating models used for arranging creditor insurance, and distribution partnerships weighted by the size of distributors. The PartnerBASE™ dataset that accompanies the report details all creditor insurance distribution deals traced by Finaccord. In short, this study will provide you with the definitive guide to current and future opportunities in creditor insurance in Thailand.
Key features of this study plus the PartnerBASE™ dataset and market data annexe that accompany it include:
- quantification of creditor insurance market size and growth with a timeline from 2010 to 2014 and onwards to 2018: how much is this market really worth in Thailand and what is its future development potential?
- segmentation of this market both by underlying loan type (differentiating between mortgages, point-of-sale automotive finance, other consumer finance and credit card loans) and by type of cover (differentiating between cover for death / permanent disability and temporary incapacity / unemployment);
- consideration of operating models used for creditor insurance: how advanced is the use of captive and joint venture underwriters by lending institutions in Thailand?
- calculation of weighted provider share of partnerships: Finaccord's unique quantitative analysis helps to identify which underwriters of creditor insurance hold the relationships that offer the most potential;
- investigation into alternative distribution channels for selling creditor insurance: a number of factors could increase the potential for entities other than the lending institutions themselves to sell creditor insurance in Thailand.
Table of Contents
0.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- What is this report about?
- This report provides a comprehensive analysis of loan-related insurance policies in Thailand
- The report tracks over 50 separate initiatives for marketing creditor insurance through lending institutions
- Survey of banks and other lending institutions
- Market data
- Creditor insurance
- Mortgages, consumer finance and credit cards
- Weighted provider share of partnerships
- Operating models
- Abbreviations and exchange rates
- PartnerBASE and market data annexe
2.0 MARKET ANALYSIS
- Banks and other lending institutions covered
- Introduction to the banking sector
- In terms of its number of retail customers, Bangkok Bank leads the market...
- ... and is followed by Siam Commercial Bank and Krungthai Bank
- Government-owned institutions play an important role in the mortgage lending sector
- The presence of foreign-owned banks in the market is comparatively limited...
- ... with several overseas entities having exited the market in recent years
- Consumer lending market size and growth
- Mortgage lending
- Residential mortgage balances grew at a nominal annual rate of 8.5% between 2010 and 2014
- Non-mortgage lending
- The compound annual growth rate for non-mortgage balances is higher than that for mortgages
- Credit and other pay later cards
- Credit card penetration has been growing at a consistent rate
- Creditor insurance provision rates, operating models and partnerships
- Creditor insurance linked to mortgages
- Provision of creditor insurance by mortgage lending institutions is commonplace in Thailand
- By weighted share of partnerships, Bangkok Life is the most prominent competitor...
- ... in a sector in which a dozen insurance providers claim at least one bank partnership
- Creditor insurance linked to consumer finance
- Loan payment protection insurance is offered by the vast majority of eligible lenders in Thailand...
- ... with the leading providers identical to those for mortgage-related creditor insurance
- AIA holds the most distribution partnerships in this sphere
- ... although the deals with its largest banking partners are not exclusive ones
- TMB Bank is the largest bank with no apparent arrangement for this type of cover
- Creditor insurance linked to credit cards
- Schemes for credit card payment protection insurance are less widespread in Thailand
- When viewed on a weighted basis, two joint venture underwriters are most prominent
- Eight credit card issuers have no visible scheme in place for card-related creditor insurance
- Creditor insurance risk coverage
- Two lending institutions have introduced more comprehensive forms of creditor insurance
- Alternative distribution channels
- Most major life insurance companies market creditor insurance through the agency channel...
- ...and some specialist life insurance brokers are also known to sell the product...
- ... although few car dealers do so
- Creditor insurance market size, growth and forecast
- Growth in the creditor insurance market is likely to accelerate between 2014 and 2018...
- ... with mortgage-related cover continuing to constitute the largest single segment
LIST OF GRAPHICS / TABLES
0.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Banks and other lending institutions in Thailand contacted by Finaccord, segmented by type
2.0 MARKET ANALYSIS
- Residential mortgage lending balances outstanding in Thailand (absolute and per capita), 2010 to 2014
- Consumer non-mortgage lending balances outstanding in Thailand (absolute and per capita), 2010 to 2014
- Credit and other pay later cards issued and per capita in Thailand, 2010 to 2014
- Key data points for the consumer lending market in Thailand, 2010 to 2014
- Provision of creditor insurance linked to mortgages in Thailand, 2015: provision rate, operating models and weighted provider share of partnerships
- Provision of creditor insurance linked to consumer finance in Thailand, 2015: provision rate, operating models and weighted provider share of partnerships
- Provision of creditor insurance linked to credit cards in Thailand, 2015: provision rate, operating models and weighted provider share of partnerships
- Risk coverage of creditor insurance policies in Thailand, segmented by type of underlying product, 2015
- Creditor insurance gross written premiums in Thailand, segmented by policy type, 2010, 2014 and 2018
- Creditor insurance gross written premiums in Thailand, segmented by cover type, 2010, 2014 and 2018
- Creditor insurance gross written premiums in Thailand, segmented by policy and cover type, 2010, 2014 and 2018