Finaccord's report titled Creditor Insurance in Malaysia offers uniquely detailed insights into the market for creditor insurance, sometimes also referred to as payment protection insurance or loan-related insurance, as acquired by individual borrowers in Malaysia. Drawing on the results of a survey of 50 lending institutions, the study analyses the distribution of creditor insurance by banks and other lending institutions, how provision rates vary for different lending products, operating models used for arranging creditor insurance, and distribution partnerships weighted by the size of distributors. The PartnerBASE™ dataset that accompanies the report details all creditor insurance distribution deals traced by Finaccord. In short, this study will provide you with the definitive guide to current and future opportunities in creditor insurance in Malaysia.
Key features of this study plus the PartnerBASE™ dataset and market data annexe that accompany it include:
- quantification of creditor insurance market size and growth with a timeline from 2010 to 2014 and onwards to 2018: how much is this market really worth in Malaysia and what is its future development potential?
- segmentation of this market both by underlying loan type (differentiating between mortgages, point-of-sale automotive finance, other consumer finance and credit card loans) and by type of cover (differentiating between cover for death / permanent disability and temporary incapacity / unemployment);
- consideration of operating models used for creditor insurance: how advanced is the use of captive and joint venture underwriters by lending institutions in Malaysia?
- calculation of weighted provider share of partnerships: Finaccord's unique quantitative analysis helps to identify which underwriters of creditor insurance hold the relationships that offer the most potential;
- investigation into alternative distribution channels for selling creditor insurance: a number of factors could increase the potential for entities other than the lending institutions themselves to sell creditor insurance in Malaysia.
Table of Contents
0.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- What is this report about?
- This report provides a comprehensive analysis of loan-related insurance policies in Malaysia
- The report tracks 75 separate initiatives for marketing creditor insurance through lending institutions
- Survey of banks and other lending institutions
- Market data
- Creditor insurance
- Mortgages, consumer finance and credit cards
- Weighted provider share of partnerships
- Operating models
- Abbreviations and exchange rates
- PartnerBASE and market data annexe
2.0 MARKET ANALYSIS
- Banks and other lending institutions covered
- Introduction to the banking sector
- The top ten banks by number of retail customers are all indigenous Malaysian entities...
- ... and several are expanding elsewhere in south-east Asia
- Foreign banks account for around 23% of the banking system's total assets...
- ... and Islamic banking entities for around 21%
- Shariah-compliant takaful insurance is also a significant segment within the overall insurance market
- Consumer lending market size and growth
- Mortgage lending
- Mortgage balances increased at a nominal compound annual rate of 13.3% between 2010 and 2014...
- Non-mortgage lending
- ... with total non-mortgage consumer lending balances moving up at an equivalent rate of 6.6%
- Credit and other pay later cards
- The total number of credit cards in circulation has decreased slightly since 2010.
- Creditor insurance provision rates, operating models and partnerships
- Creditor insurance linked to mortgages
- All but two mortgage lenders offer related creditor insurance
- Etiqa supplements distribution through Maybank with several other partnerships
- Syarikat Takaful Malaysia has established ties in this arena with a total of six different banks...
- ... and Takaful Ikhlas with five
- As for other insurance types, joint ventures are often used for mortgage-related creditor insurance
- Manulife, Prudential and Tokio Marine are all used as external underwriters in this context
- Creditor insurance linked to consumer finance
- Over 30 arrangements are visible for creditor insurance linked to consumer finance...
- ... with many partnerships identical to those for mortgage-related creditor insurance...
- ...although the research also identifies a number of differences...
- ...and the existence of a few specialist consumer credit providers also creates diversity
- Creditor insurance linked to credit cards
- A few card issuers have introduced schemes for credit card payment protection insurance
- Creditor insurance risk coverage
- Most creditor insurance products in Malaysia are configured as loan-related life insurance policies
- Alternative distribution channels
- There is little evidence for the development of alternative distribution channels for creditor insurance
- Creditor insurance market size, growth and forecast
- The creditor insurance market is likely to have expanded quite rapidly in recent years...
- and the outlook to 2018 is also positive
- The introduction of policies covering temporary incapacity or unemployment could spur higher growth
LIST OF GRAPHICS / TABLES
0.0 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Banks and other lending institutions in Malaysia contacted by Finaccord, segmented by type
2.0 MARKET ANALYSIS
- Residential mortgage lending balances outstanding in Malaysia (absolute and per capita), 2010 to 201411
- Consumer non-mortgage lending balances outstanding in Malaysia (absolute and per capita), 2010 to 2014
- Credit and other pay later cards issued and per capita in Malaysia, 2010 to 2014
- Key data points for the consumer lending market in Malaysia, 2010 to 2014
- Provision of creditor insurance linked to mortgages in Malaysia, 2015: provision rate, operating models and weighted provider share of partnerships
- Provision of creditor insurance linked to consumer finance in Malaysia, 2015: provision rate, operating models and weighted provider share of partnerships
- Provision of creditor insurance linked to credit cards in Malaysia, 2015: provision rate, operating models and weighted provider share of partnerships
- Risk coverage of creditor insurance policies in Malaysia, segmented by type of underlying product, 2015
- Creditor insurance gross written premiums in Malaysia, segmented by policy type, 2010, 2014 and 2018
- Creditor insurance gross written premiums in Malaysia, segmented by cover type, 2010, 2014 and 2018
- Creditor insurance gross written premiums in Malaysia, segmented by policy and cover type, 2010, 2014 and 2018