HIV drug market barriers: A help or a hindrance?
Today's tightly packed European HIV drug landscape is the culmination of numerous innovative developments over the last three decades. New market entrants continue to arrive - the most recent from Gilead - hoping to disrupt the status quo. But how are market barriers impacting prescribing choices, and what effect does that have on market share? Are newer players changing market dynamics?
Use this latest report to understand the barriers driving market share shifts. Market Access Impact: HIV (EU5) features 9 big-hitter named HIV drugs from Gilead, Janssen Cilag, Merck Sharp & Dohme, BMS and ViiV Healthcare.
- One step ahead: Some brands gain advantage when competitors have not made it on to the formulary. But which single brand benefits the most?
- Visibility isn't the problem: The proportion of physicians claiming not to know about these 9 HIV brands is negligible. With such high awareness, what else is impacting prescribing behaviour?
- It's not plain sailing for some: Some drugs have very few prescribing barriers, however 1 in 10 physicians say this drug has 3 or more barriers. Which drug?
- The devil is in the detail: 17% of EU prescribing decisions are affected by market barriers, but no single barrier stands out from the rest. Find out how to fine tune strategy in a tight-knit market.
- New kids on the block: How does prescribing of recent market entrants compare to more established drugs? Which market barriers are already associated with Descovy and Genvoya?
Insight into 9 Major HIV Drugs
- Descovy (emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide; Gilead)
- Genvoya (cobicistat/elvitegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide; Gilead)
- Isentress (raltegravir; Merck Sharp & Dohme)
- Prezista (darunavir; Janssen Cilag)
- Reyataz (atazanavir; BMS)
- Stribild (cobicistat/elvitegravir/emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate; Gilead)
- Triumeq (abacavir/dolutegravir/lamivudine; ViiV Healthcare)
- Truvada (emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate; Gilead)
- Viread (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate; Gilead)
Lifting the lid on Market Access issues
Market Access Impact: HIV gives a unique insight into the issues affecting the major HIV drug manufacturers. You'll learn:
How barriers affect market access:
- Which HIV brands are physicians prescribing the most?
- How are prescribing decisions being affected by market barriers?
- Are some barriers having more impact than others?
How barriers affect your brand:
- How many doctors prescribe your brand? How many don't, but would consider it?
- Why don't doctors prescribe your brand? What do they choose instead?
- Which competing brands does your brand take market share from?
A Report Based on Expert Knowledge
We surveyed 150 infectious disease specialists and general practitioners in the EU5 (France, Italy, Germany, Spain, UK) .
All respondents have:
- Been practising for 2+ years
- Prescribed at least one of the listed products
- Seen at least 5 HIV patients in total in the last month
We conducted the survey between 2nd and 7th March 2017.