Top brand takes a big lead thanks to market barriers
In the US, market barriers are having a major impact on the brands used to treat psoriasis-affecting more than a third of all prescriptions and helping some brands stay ahead of rivals. Eliminating barriers would narrow the top brand's sizeable lead, and send the third place brand toppling all the way down to sixth place.
Find whether barriers are holding your brand back, and what you can do about it, in Market Access Impact: Psoriasis (US) .
Based on a survey of 100 dermatologists, the report covers 8 major therapies from AbbVie, Amgen, Celgene, Eli Lilly, Janssen Biotech, Novartis, and Pfizer. Handy graphs and charts reveal which of 7 different barriers cost your brand the most market share, and which ones help you take the most from competitors.
- Market barriers have a big impact: They affect more than one third of psoriasis prescriptions in the US. Cost and market access barriers have by far the biggest impact.
- Barriers widen the top brand's lead: A net share increase of more than seven percent keeps the leading brand comfortably ahead, but it would continue to lead even if barriers didn't exist.
- Three brands see significant losses because of barriers: Each of them sees a net market share loss of between 3 and almost 6 percent.
- Barriers are propping up the third-place brand: Without them, this brand would drop into the bottom three, and two lower-ranked brands would overtake it.
- Most brands are widely prescribed: 65 to 90 percent of surveyed doctors prescribe the top six brands, while fewer than ten percent of them prescribe the last place brand.
- “Other” brands benefit too: In aggregate, brands not surveyed see the second largest barrier-related gain, but even without barriers they would still rank ahead of most surveyed brands.
Insight into 8 Major Psoriasis Drugs
- Cosentyx (secukinumab; Novartis)
- Enbrel (etanercept; Amgen)
- Humira (adalimumab; AbbVie)
- Inflectra (infliximab-dyyb; Pfizer)
- Otezla (apremilast; Celgene)
- Remicade (infliximab; Janssen Biotech)
- Stelara (ustekinumab; Janssen Biotech)
- Taltz (ixekizumab; Eli Lilly)
Exploring Market Access Barriers
Market Access Impact: Psoriasis (US) explores key issues affecting drug manufacturers. You'll learn:
How barriers affect market access:
- What brands do doctors prescribe the most?
- How many prescriptions do barriers affect?
- Which barriers have the biggest impact?
How barriers affect your brand:
- How many doctors prescribe your brand? How many don't, but would consider it?
- Why don't doctors prescribe your brand? What do they prescribe instead?
- Which competing brands does your brand take market share from?
A Report Based on Expert Knowledge
We surveyed 100 US-based dermatologists, chosen from the largest community of validated physicians in the world.
All respondents have:
- Been practicing for 2+ years
- Prescribed at least one of the listed products
- Seen at least 5 patients with psoriasis in total in the last month
We conducted the survey between February 1st and 7th, 2017.
Table of Contents
- >1. What are market barriers?
- >4. Brands included in the survey