Product Code: DMKC0181105
This Market Spotlight report covers the Duchenne muscular dystrophy market, comprising key pipeline and marketed drugs, clinical trials, upcoming and regulatory events, patent information, a 10-year disease prevalence forecast, and licensing and acquisition deals, as well as presenting drug-specific revenue forecasts.
- Datamonitor Healthcare estimates that in 2016, there were 179,200 prevalent cases of Duchenne muscular dystrophy in males worldwide, and forecasts that number to increase to 196,200 prevalent cases by 2025. Marketed drugs include US FDA-approved drugs such as Emflaza (deflazacort), a glucocorticoid with anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant properties, and Exondys 51 (eteplirsen), a novel phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomer designed to induce the skipping of exon 51 in the dystrophin gene. The marketed drugs also include an EU-approved drug, Translarna (ataluren), which acts by targeting premature nonsense mutations.
- Therapies in mid- and late-stage development for Duchenne muscular dystrophy focus on a variety of targets. The majority of pipeline drugs in mid- and late-stage development for Duchenne muscular dystrophy are administered orally, with the remainder including intravenous, intramuscular, intra-arterial, and subcutaneous formulations.
- High-impact upcoming events for drugs in the Duchenne muscular dystrophy space include topline Phase II and Phase III trial results, an estimated PDUFA, and a positive CHMP opinion.
- There were 14 licensing and asset acquisition activities involving Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs during 2012-17, six of which occurred in 2017. The $730m R&D collaboration agreement between Astellas and Mitokyne (now Mitobridge) to discover and develop compounds that target mitochondrial function was the largest deal during 2012-17.
- The clinical trials distribution across Phase I-III indicates that the majority of trials for Duchenne muscular dystrophy have been in Phase II development, with 51.1% of trials in Phase II, and only 39.4% and 9.1% trials in Phase III and I, respectively.
- The US has a substantial lead in the number of Duchenne muscular dystrophy clinical trials globally. Belgium leads the major EU markets, while Israel has the top spot in Asia.
- Clinical trial activity in the Duchenne muscular dystrophy space is dominated by ongoing trials. PTC Therapeutics has the highest number of ongoing and completed clinical trials for Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- PTC Therapeutics leads industry sponsors with the highest number of clinical trials for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, followed by GlaxoSmithKline
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Genetic therapies
- Vitamin D supplement
KEY UPCOMING EVENTS:
KEY REGULATORY EVENTS
- Exondys Revisited? Translarna Brings Efficacy Woes Into US Panel Review
- Before Price Controversy, Emflaza Got Easy US Nod With Old But Good Enough Data
- Sarepta's Exondys 51 (Eteplirsen) Approved After Contentious Internal FDA Debate
- Marathon Looking To Go The Distance In DMD
- Scots Hammer PTC's Translarna As EU Reviews Conditional Approval
- FDA Refuses To File Translarna NDA; PTC Plummets
LICENSING AND ASSET ACQUISITION DEALS
- Lucky No. 35? Sarepta And BioMarin Settle Global Patent Disputes
- Bristol Licenses Phase II DMD Candidate To Roche
- Sarepta Snaps Up Gene Therapy Approaches to DMD
- Sarepta's $852m Summit Collaboration Could Enable DMD Drug Combinations
CLINICAL TRIAL LANDSCAPE
- Sponsors by status
- Sponsors by phase
- Recent events
LIST OF FIGURES
- Figure 1: Trends in prevalent cases of Duchenne muscular dystrophy, 2016-25
- Figure 2: Overview of pipeline drugs for Duchenne muscular dystrophy in the US
- Figure 3: Pipeline drugs for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, by company
- Figure 4: Pipeline drugs for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, by drug type
- Figure 5: Pipeline drugs for Duchenne muscular dystrophy, by classifications
- Figure 6: Key upcoming events in Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Figure 7: Licensing and asset acquisition deals in disease name, 2012-17
- Figure 8: Parent patents in Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Figure 9: Clinical trials in Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Figure 10: Top 10 drugs for clinical trials in Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Figure 11: Top 10 companies for clinical trials in Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Figure 12: Trial locations in Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Figure 13: Duchenne muscular dystrophy trials status
- Figure 14: Duchenne muscular dystrophy trials sponsors, by phase
LIST OF TABLES
- Table 1: Prevalent cases of Duchenne muscular dystrophy, 2016-25
- Table 2: Marketed drugs for Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Table 3: Approvals by country for Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Table 4: Pipeline drugs for Duchenne muscular dystrophy in the US
- Table 5: Historical global sales, by drug ($m), 2012-16
- Table 6: Forecasted global sales, by drug ($m), 2017-22