Product Code: DMKC0180743
This Market Spotlight report covers the Zika virus market, comprising key pipeline therapies, clinical trials, and licensing and acquisition deals.
- The Zika virus was first reported in continental South America in Brazil in May 2015. In February 2016, between 440,000 and 1,300,000 people were infected in Brazil. In the US, about 225 Zika virus cases were reported in August 2017. In addition, 554 cases were reported in people infected through local mosquito-borne transmission. Furthermore, autochthonous Zika virus transmission was reported in 25 countries in the Americas, Africa, and Asia.
- In 2016, it was estimated that there were between 508 and 1,778 imported cases in Europe, particularly in France, Portugal, and Italy.
- The majority of industry-sponsored drugs in active clinical development for Zika virus are in Phase I, with just a single product in Phase II.
- Therapies in early-to-mid-stage development for Zika virus focus on the immune system and viral antigens. Candidates comprise DNA vaccines such as NIH's Zika Virus Vaccine and GeneOne's GLS-5700; Moderna's mRNA vaccine; Themis's recombinant viral vector vaccine; and Sanofi's purified inactivated Zika virus vaccine.
- There were 12 licensing and asset acquisition activities involving Zika virus drugs during 2012-17, all of which occurred in either 2016 or 2017. The exclusive 2017 agreement between Emergent BioSolutions and Valneva worth $58.3m for the global rights to Valneva's Zika vaccine technology and ZIKV-VLA1601 was the largest deal during the 2012-17 period.
- The distribution of clinical trials across Phases I-IV indicates that the majority of trials are occurring in Phase I, with just a single Phase II trial.
- All industry-sponsored clinical trials are either ongoing or planned. GeneOne is the only company with more than one clinical trial currently ongoing. The only Phase II trial is being performed by Moderna Therapeutics.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
LICENSING AND ASSET ACQUISITION DEALS
- GSK/NIH 'SAM' Strategy May Reap Benefits Beyond Zika
- Sanofi Teams With US Military On Zika, But Not For The Profits
CLINICAL TRIAL LANDSCAPE
- Sponsors by status
- Sponsors by phase
LIST OF FIGURES
- Figure 1: Overview of pipeline drugs for Zika virus in the US
- Figure 2: Pipeline drugs for Zika virus, by company
- Figure 3: Pipeline drugs for Zika virus, by drug type
- Figure 4: Pipeline drugs for Zika virus, by classifications
- Figure 5: Licensing and asset acquisition deals in Zika virus, 2012-17
- Figure 6: Clinical trials in Zika virus
- Figure 7: Top 10 drugs for clinical trials in Zika virus
- Figure 8: Top 10 companies for clinical trials in Zika virus
- Figure 9: Zika virus trials status
- Figure 10: Zika virus trials sponsors, by phase
LIST OF TABLES
- Table 1: Recent epidemiological updates on Zika virus
- Table 2: Zika virus cases timeline
- Table 3: Pipeline drugs for Zika virus in the US