Product Code: EU09
This Report offers a comparative analysis of home furniture distribution in 13 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
The report provides trends in home furniture consumption, analysis of the furniture distribution system by channels, retail formats and leading players sales performances.
The aim of this report is to provide information on the following topics:
- the main structural changes affecting the sector
- the evolution of the market share of each distribution channel
- country peculiarities in furniture retailing
- new approach and strategies in furniture retailing
- policies and initiatives affecting the competition in the market
- listing of the leading furniture retailers in each country, with contact details
Home furniture import flows are analyzed by country of origin
The furniture retail market is broken down by the following distribution channels: furniture chains, franchises, buying groups; independent furniture retailers; department stores, multi-stores, hypermarkets, DIY, mail order, ecommerce; direct sales and craftsmen. The market is also broken down by product specialization: retailers specialized in home furniture and non-specialized retailers.
The report includes addresses of over 500 furniture retailers and buying groups, 235 of which with detailed profile.
Among the products considered: home furniture, upholstered furniture, kitchen furniture, living room furniture, dining room furniture, bedroom furniture, mattress.
CSIL worked on an extensive data gathering, including market data and detailed figures for over 200 retailers (all the main actors operating in Western Europe).
Over 20% of world home furniture consumption takes place in Western Europe, whose per capita spending in furniture purchases is higher than the world average.
This wide market is increasingly concentrated: the market share of top 15 retailers has grown constantly in the last 3 years. The increase in the level of concentration is due to the acquisitions, agreements and performances of major companies. The sample of over 200 Western Europe leading retailers analysed by CSIL outperformed the market in recent years.
Large retailers are also contributing to increase the market openness to extra-Western Europe import. IKEA is among best examples of the success of the outsourcing model, showing 978 home furnishing suppliers in 50 countries.
Table of Contents
Abstract of Table of Contents
Methodology and Scopes of the report
- 1.1 Executive Summary
- 1.2 Home Furniture Market Performance
- Market dynamic
- Western Europe. Total home furniture consumption (at retail prices), 2010-2015
- Countries overview
- Western Europe. Home furniture market (at retail prices). Breakdown by country, 2010-2015
- 1.3 Import penetration
- Western Europe. Breakdown of WE imports from extra-WE areas: Central Eastern Europe, Asia/Pacific and others, 2010 and 2015
- Western Europe. Home furniture imports. Top 10 extra-WE home furniture suppliers, 2005 and 2015
- 1.4 Home furniture segments
- 1.5 Market trends
- Regulatory issues and institutional initiatives
- 1.6 Home Furniture Distribution Channels
- Business demography
- Retailer definition. Pure and mixed businesses
- Distribution channels: trends
- Western Europe. Home furniture consumption by distribution channels, 2010-2012-2015. Specialists and non specialists
- Western Europe. Home furniture consumption by distribution channels, 2010-2012-2015. Percentage shares
- Western Europe. Home furniture sales by distribution channel. Analysis by country, 2015
- Market concentration
- Western Europe. Market concentration, 2012, 2014 e 2015. Market shares of the top 5, top 10 and top 15 operators.
- 1.7 Leading Furniture Retailers
- Western Europe. Sample of leading furniture retailers, breakdown of companies by country
- Western Europe. Sample of leading furniture retailers, breakdown of companies by retailing format
- Western Europe. Sample of leading furniture retailers, breakdown of companies by product specialization
- Western Europe. Sample of leading furniture retailers, breakdown of companies by price range
- Western Europe. Sample of leading furniture retailers, breakdown of companies by online sales
- Western Europe. Sample of leading furniture retailers: breakdown of companies by sales trend, 2014 on 2012
- Western Europe. Sample of leading furniture retailers: breakdown of companies by store trend, 2015 on 2013
- Western Europe. Western Europe. Selection of leading furniture retailers with an international presence
- 1.9 Summary tables
FOR AUSTRIA, BELGIUM-LUXEMBOURG, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, ITALY, NETHERLANDS, NORWAY, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, UNITED KINGDOM:
- Home furniture market and performance
- Home furniture consumption at retail price
- Home furniture imports
- Furniture prices
- Consumption by segments (Kitchen furniture, Upholstered furniture, Bedroom furniture, Furniture for dining and living rooms, Mattresses, Non-Upholstered seats)
- Home furniture distribution channels (furniture chains, franchises, buying groups; independent furniture retailers; non-specialist distributors (department stores, multi-stores, hypermarkets, DIY, mail order); direct sales and craftsmen)
- Leading furniture retailers
- Forecasts, demand determinants and market opportunities
- Home furniture imports