Product Code: CG0262MR
Hong Kong reverted to Chinese rule in 1997, but it still remains a separate market for cigarettes and is expected to remain autonomous until 2047. Hong Kong SAR is a major redistribution center with a substantial level of import-re-export trade. However, it only has a comparatively small domestic market. Based on duty paid sales, per capita consumption levels are low by Western standards and are in long term decline.
- Philip Morris International (PMI) holds a commanding lead in the local market with a market share of over half the market in 2014, down from a peak in 2001.
- Marlboro is its bestselling brand and leads the domestic market, accounting for half of domestic sales. Prices have been rising recently due to tax increases.
- The success of the authorities in combating the smuggling trade provided a significant lift to the duty paid market but was undone by the 2009, 2011, and 2014 tax hikes. The smoking prevalence is likely to fall further, but more gradually now as it is already very low by international standards.
Cigarettes in Hong Kong 2017 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Hong Kong market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Reasons To Buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table of Contents
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturers and Brands
5. Taxation and Retail Prices
- 5.1. Taxation
- 5.2. Retail Prices
6. The Smoking Population
7. Production and Trade
- 7.1. Production
- 7.2. Imports
- 7.3. Exports
8. Operating Constraints
- 8.1. Advertising Restrictions
- 8.2. Health Warnings
- 8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospects and Forecasts
- 11.1. What is this Report About?
- 11.2. Time Frame
- 11.3. Product Category Coverage
- 11.4. Methodology
- 11.5. About Us
- 11.6. Disclaimer
List of Tables
- Table 1: Cigarette Consumption in Hong Kong, 1990-2015
- Table 2: Per Capita Consumption in Hong Kong, 1990-2015
- Table 3: Tar and Nicotine Yields by Brand, 2015
- Table 4: Manufacturer Sales and Market Shares, 2000-2015
- Table 5: Rates of Duty on Manufactured Cigarettes, 1987-2016
- Table 6: Hong Kong: Government Revenues and Tax Losses, 2012/13-2013/14
- Table 7: Retail Prices, March 2009
- Table 8: Typical Price of Packet of 20 Cigarettes, 1990-2012
- Table 9:Smoking Population, 1990-2015
- Table 10: Smoking Prevalence Among Adults (15 Years and Over), 1982-2015
- Table 11: The Incidence of Smoking by Age (Adults), 1990-2015
- Table 12: The Incidence of Smoking Among Adult Males by Age, 1990-2015
- Table 13: The Incidence of Smoking Among Adult Females by Age, 1990-2015
- Table 14: Daily Consumption Levels by Regular Smokers, 1990-2015
- Table 15: Production of Cigarettes, 1990-2014
- Table 16: Imports of Cigarettes, 1990-2014
- Table 17: Imports of Cigarettes by Country of Origin, 2000-2014
- Table 18: Net Imports of Cigarettes, 1990-2014
- Table 19: Cigarette Exports (Including Re-Exports), 1990-2014
- Table 20: Domestic Cigarette Exports (Excluding Re-Exports), 1990-2014
- Table 21: Domestic Exports of Cigarettes by Country of Destination, 2000-2014
- Table 22: Cigarette Re-Exports, 1990-2014
- Table 23: Cigarette Re-Exports by Country of Destination, 2000-2014
- Table 24: Key Company Facts
- Table 25: Key Company Facts
- Table 26: Key Company Facts
- Table 27: Key Company Facts
- Table 28: Consumption Forecasts to 2025
List of Figures