Product Code: 2398-1113
BMI View: We maintain our view that Sub-Saharan Africa's consumer market will begin to recover from
2017, following weak growth over 2015 and 2016. We expect rising household incomes to drive the demand
for formal retailing and provide the impetus for sophisticated consumption patterns driving consumers
away from traditional retailing. With that said, due to the prevalence of low-income households across SSA
will limit retail development over the medium term.
Latest Updates And Industry Developments
- We maintain our view that Cote d'Ivoire is one of the outperforming consumer markets in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), attracting considerable investment from consumer-facing industries.
- The completed acquisition of SABMiller by AB InBev provides the company with a strong foothold in SSA.
- We believe the rapid retail expansion experienced across SSA markets in recent quarters will continue through to the end of our forecast period to 2021.
- Ghana and Kenya will be the fastest growing food sales markets over our forecast period.
Table of Contents
BMI Industry View
- Latest Updates And Industry Developments
- Latest Updates
- Structural Trends
- Table: Sub-Saharan Africa Region Food Sales (2014 - 2021)
- Table: Sub-Saharan Africa Non-Alcoholic Drinks (2014-2021)
- Table: Total Alcoholic Drinks Consumption (Sub Saharan Africa Region 2014 - 2021)
Industry Risk Reward Ratings
- Sub-Saharan Africa Risk/Reward Index
- Table: Sub-Saharan Africa Food & Drink Risk/Reward Index Q217
- Strong Spirits Outlook In Nigeria
- Podravka To Benefit From Strong Consumer, Developing MGR
- Formalisation To Take Hold In Fast-Growing Beer Market
- Tiger Brands
- Shoprite Group
- Food & Drink
- Mass Grocery Retail
- BMI Food & Drink Forecasting & Sourcing
- Risk/Reward Ratings Methodology
- Table: Rewards
- Table: Risks
- Table: Weighting