Product Code: 2398-1008
BMI View:The development of pharmaceutical and medical device product candidates is subject to various
risks and uncertainties. These include the ability to swiftly enrol patients in clinical trials, the possibility of
unfavourable results from these studies, the need to modify or delay clinical trials or to perform additional
evaluations and the risk of failing to obtain regulatory approvals. Drug and medical product development is
an inherently risky enterprise and many product candidates fail during the development process.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- The USD1,103bn (EUR997bn) global pharmaceutical market is forecast to post a 4.6% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) at constant exchange rates (CER) through to 2021.
- The USD7,585bn (EUR6,855bn) global healthcare market is forecast to post a 5.0% CAGR at CER through to 2021.
- The global pharmaceutical market has a Risk/Reward Index (RRI) score of 50.0 out of 100 in Q217 (unchanged from Q117). With a score of 74.8, Western Europe is the leading region, followed by Asia Pacific (53.5), Central and Eastern Europe (52.5) the Americas (48.7), the Middle East & North Africa (47.8), and Sub-Saharan Africa (26.8).
Table of Contents
BMI Industry View
- Table: Headline Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Forecasts (Global 2015-2021)
- Global Pharmaceutical Market Forecast
- Table: Pharmaceutical Sales, Historical Data And Forecasts (Global 2013-2021)
- Global Healthcare Market Forecast
- Table: Healthcare Expenditure Trends, Historical Data And Forecasts (Global 2013-2021)
Industry Risk Reward Index
- Global Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Market Overview
Industry Trend Analysis
- Global - Global Pharmaceutical R&D Spending To Drop Marginally
- Table: R&D Expenditure (USDmn)
- Industry Trend Analysis
- Global - FX Volatility To Shape Drugmaker Prospects
- Table: Reporting Currencies Of Leading Pharmaceutical Firms
Industry Trends & Developments
- Global - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Global Q117 Round-Up
- Pharmaceutical Expenditure Forecast Model
- Healthcare Expenditure Forecast Model
- Notes On Methodology
- Risk/Reward Index Methodology
- Table: Indicators - Rationale And Sources