Product Code: 2398-1083
BMI View: Our outlook for Europe is characterised by caution, as political risk and economic uncertainty weigh on consumer spending. We see a modest increase in food and drink spending, while discount retailers are well-placed to benefit from more price-conscious households. Opportunities in health, convenience and halal segments offer long-term potential for companies in the industry.
Key Trends & Industry Developments
- After a decline in 2015, we see a slight return to growth for food and drink spending in 2016.
- Our European mass grocery retail outlook is cautious as changing consumer preferences, price wars and careful spending will continue to put pressure on the margins of major Western Europe retailers, with discounters the beneficiaries.
- Brexit is the major risk for the region, with widespread implications for Europe and the industry. Scotch whiskey and restaurants stand to lose following a 'Leave' vote.
Table of Contents
BMI Industry View
- Key Trends & Industry Developments
- Latest Updates
- Structural Trends
- Table: Europe Food Forecasts
- Table: Europe Non-Alcoholic Drinks Forecasts
- Table: Europe Alcoholic Drinks Forecasts
Industry Risk Reward Index
- Western Europe Risk/Reward Index
- Table: Western Europe - Food & Drink Risk/Reward Index, Q316
- Central And Eastern Europe - Risk/Reward Index
- Table: Central & Eastern Europe - Food & Drink Risk/Reward Index, Q316
- Discount Food Retailers Will Benefit In Uncertain 2016
- Promising Outlook For Halal Industry In Western Europe
- Variable Success For Coffee Chains In Western Europe
- Brexit Implications: Scotch Most At Risk For F&D
- Pernod Ricard
- Lidl Group
- Food & Drink
- Mass Grocery Retail
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Sector-Specific Methodology
- Risk/Reward Index Methodology
- Table: Food & Drink Risk/Reward Index Indicators
- Table: Weighting