Product Code: 2398-0877
BMI View: Overreliance on hydropower will continue to be a key characteristic of the SSA power market
over our 10-year forecast, due to the relatively low cost of hydropower generation once sunk costs have
been paid off. We forecast that hydropower will account for more than 50% of power generation in 12 of
the countries in our SSA coverage in 2025.
- Strong hydrological potential means that governments favour hydropower - particularly as hydropower facilities can generate power at a lower cost, ensuring that electricity prices can be kept low and making the technology better-suited to populations with less spending power.
- South Africa is the regional exception - with its large domestic coal power sector accounting for about 93% of total coal power generation in SSA. The South African power sector actually accounts for 49% of total SSA power generation due to the relative size of the country's power market.
- Power markets in the SSA have been struggling to advance power projects and get them to the construction phase due to a plethora of structural issues, ranging from a challenging operating environment, limited availability of feedstock, poor administration of funding and bureaucracy at stateowned utilities.
Table of Contents
BMI Industry View
- BMI View
- Table: Headline Power Forecasts (Sub Saharan (Region) 2015-2021)
Regional Forecast Analysis
- MEA Power Regional Overview
Industry Risk Reward Index
- SSA Power Risk/Reward Index
- Sub Saharan (Region) - East-African Power Market Integration Progressing, Challenges Remain
- Sub Saharan (Region) - IPPs To Gain Traction In SSA Power Landscape
- Sub Saharan (Region) - Southern Africa To Dominate Coal Power Landscape
- Methodology And Sources
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Risk/Reward Index Methodology
- Table: Power Risk/Reward Index Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators