Product Code: 2398-0850
BMI View: Countries with more stable and attractive regulatory frameworks will remain the major
recipients of power sector investment in Latin America - amid wide-ranging electricity consumption growth
and resilient government investment in the sector. With all our themes for the region in play, we highlight
growth in renewables and natural gas-fired power as the trends that will be most prominent over the
- Despite slower economic growth following the collapse in commodities prices, Latin American governments will continue to invest into expanding power generating capacity and electricity transmission and distribution infrastructure, in order to meet rising power demand.
- Financiers, operators and developers of power projects will continue to favour the Latin American countries that offer the most stable operating environments and attractive regulatory frameworks - for example Chile and Mexico.
- Promoting investment in renewables will remain a priority for most governments in Latin America over the coming years, as they aim to reduce fossil fuel import costs and strengthen energy security by reducing dependency on hydropower. This trend remains in play even amid the region's economic slowdown.
- Our long-held view that natural gas will increase as a part of the Latin American power mix, due to the scheduled completion of gas-fired power plants and progress in the development of new power stations and liquefied natural gas import terminals, is firmly in play.
- While Chile and Mexico continue to lead Latin America in terms of investment attractiveness, the outlook for Argentina has improved based on the adoption of policies that are conducive to investment in the power sector.
Table of Contents
BMI Industry View
- Latin America Power - BMI View
- Table: Latin America Headline Power Forecasts
Regional Forecast Analysis
- Latin America - LatAm Power: Key Regional Themes
- Table: BMI's Key Themes For Latin America's Power Industry In 2016 And Beyond
Industry Risk/Reward Index
- Latin America - LatAm RRI: Argentina Gaining Amid Chile's Continued Outperformance
- Table: Latin America Power Risk/Reward Index (Scores Out Of 100)
- Chile - Positive Power Outlook Supports Regional Outperformance
- Brazil - Eletrobras To Spearhead Power Distribution Privatisation
- Panama - LNG Supply Glut Strengthens Gas Power Proposition
- Methodology And Sources
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Risk/Reward Index Methodology
- Table: Power Risk/Reward Index Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators