Product Code: 2397-3242
BMI View: With China's GDP growth continuing to slow - China tops Thailand's export partners list -
Thailand's freight modes will see growth tempered somewhat as we head into the second quarter of 2017.
Thailand's manufacturing exports in particular will see demand slide, posing headaches to exporters.
Combined with the prospect of further increases in crude oil prices, Thailand's external surplus looks set to
decline over the coming years, posing downside risks to real GDP growth. That said, ongoing public
infrastructure projects should support growth in Thailand's freight mix going forward.
Key Updates and Forecasts
- Various large-scale infrastructure projects are currently in the pipeline in Thailand, which should offer some upside risk to our forecasts past the medium term. A total of 11 projects are out for tender, worth more than USD9.87bn. Projects include the development of the 98km Bang Yai-Kanchanaburi and the 196km Bang Pa-in-Saraburi-Nakhon Ratchasima highways, according to World Highways in the fourth quarter of 2016. Meanwhile, work is set to begin soon on an initial 3.5km section of a planned railway link connecting Thailand with China, following the completion of bidding in early 2017, according to Thai Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith.
Table of Contents
BMI Industry View
- Trade Forecast
- Table: Trade Overview (Thailand 2014-2021)
- Table: Key Trade Indicators (Thailand 2014-2021)
- Table: Main Import Partners
- Table: Main Export Partners
- Road Freight Forecast
- Table: Road Freight (Thailand 2014-2021)
- Rail Freight Forecast
- Table: Rail Freight (Thailand 2014-2021)
- Air Freight Forecast
- Table: Air Freight (Thailand 2014-2021)
- Shipping Forecast
- Table: Inland Waterway Freight (Thailand 2014-2021)
- Table: Major Ports Data (Thailand 2014-2021)
- Demographic Outlook
- Table: Population Headline Indicators (Thailand 1990-2025)
- Table: Key Population Ratios (Thailand 1990-2025)
- Table: Urban/Rural Population & Life Expectancy (Thailand 1990-2025)
- Table: Population By Age Group (Thailand 1990-2025)
- Table: Population By Age Group % (Thailand 1990-2025)
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Sector-Specific Methodology