Product Code: 2398-0834
BMI View: Coal will remain the dominant fuel in Asia's power mix over the course of our 10-year forecast period; however, at the sub-regional level, the fuel dynamics are more nuanced. Markets across the South- East Asia will continue to focus on gas-fired power generation, while hydropower will dominate the project pipeline in the Lower Mekong Sub-region, amid strong local opposition to hydro developments.
- Asia power consumption will remain robust over the course of our 10-year forecast period to 2025, as solid macroeconomic and demographic fundamentals and the implementation of electrification programmes drive demand.
- Power capacity and generation will grow in accordance with demand, as power sector reforms across the region encourage investment into the market and result in the build-up of generating capacity.
- We have long-highlighted that coal will remain the dominant fuel choice for Asia's power sector, contributing 51% to the total power generation mix by 2025 - driven by the availability of coal stocks and its low price.
- Despite the dominance of coal at the regional level, select markets at the sub-regional level - notably in South East Asia, continue to focus on gas-fired power generation. For example, Singapore, Thailand and Myanmar.
- The growing need for power, as well as the desire for economic growth, is driving countries in the Lower Mekong Sub-region to ramp-up hydropower capacity in the Lower Mekong River, often to the detriment of other riparian countries.
Table of Contents
BMI Industry View
- Asia Power - BMI View
- Table: Asia Headline Power Forecasts
Regional Forecast Analysis
- Asia - Asia Power: Shifting Fuel Dynamics, Coal Still King
Industry Risk/Reward Index
- Asia Power RRI: China's Score Slipping, India Pushing Ahead
- Table: Asia Power Risk/Reward Ratings (Scores Out Of 100)
- Asia - Clean Coal: No Silver Bullet For Asia's Emissions Woes
- Political Risk Analysis
- China - 13th Five-Year Plan: Cementing China's Power Mix Transition
- Methodology And Sources
- Industry Forecast Methodology
- Risk/Reward Index Methodology
- Table: Power Risk/Reward Index Indicators
- Table: Weighting Of Indicators