AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 1st edition of the new report ‘Home Extensions Market Report - GB 2014-2018 Analysis'. This unique report provides a detailed insight into the home extension market, specifically projects undertaken by householders which require planning permission, e.g. building extensions.
Key areas in the report:
- Overall market for householder developments requiring planning permission - number of developments granted and forecasts to 2018, regional analysis, legislation and key market influences.
- Types of building extensions undertaken - single, two-storey, other building extensions, other alterations such as heating installations, landscaping and roof alterations.
- Products used in the home extensions sector- kitchens, bathrooms and other key building materials, including market value in the home extensions sector and key market trends.
The number of ‘householder developments' has remained relatively stable over the last 3 years as consumers have focused on improvement work rather than moving house. In 2014, the more buoyant economic situation has positively influenced the number of householder improvements granted by the planning authorities, with an increase of 3% expected in 2014 to 192,500 approved applications. Single storey extensions are estimated to account for the largest share of ‘planned' home improvement projects with 37%.
Areas of particular interest:
- Review of key trends in the home extension sector - recent developments and market prospects to 2018.
- Key market drivers - including mortgage lending, RMI trends, housing transactions etc.
- Interior design trends - open plan living and influence on the types of products installed.
- Types of extension, function and the mix of products used.
- Regional analysis including the number of developments in England, Scotland and Wales and key trends.
- Key products by value and product and design trends for kitchens, bathrooms, decor, doors and windows, roofing etc.
The report covers the following key areas:
MARKET OVERVIEW - RESIDENTIAL PLANNING APPLICATIONS
- Overall market size by volume 2009-2013 for all planning decisions granted, including major applications, minor applications and householder developments. Forecasts for 2014.
- Market size for planned householder developments granted 2009-2013, including single storey extensions, two-storey, dormer, garage, porch, conservatory, external, internal, H&V / renewables, landscaping and roofing. Forecasts to 2018.
- Key market influences e.g. mortgage lending, established base of housing, residential transactions, house prices, renewable energy technologies, influencing consumer confidence levels.
- Regional analysis for England, Scotland and Wales including the number of householder developments granted and key trends by country.
- Regional analysis for England by area, e.g. South West, including the number of householder developments.
HOME EXTENSION MARKET
- Overall mix of planned householder developments by type of project (by volume) for 2013, e.g. single and two-storey extensions, external building alterations, landscaping, roofing, heating.
- Building extensions - single storey, two-storey, dormer, garage, porch and conservatory.
- External building alterations - doorways, ramps, windows, insulation and render, cladding, security products and the conversion of outbuildings.
- Internal building alterations - internal walls, doorways, alterations to listed buildings etc.
- Heating and ventilation - air conditioning units, renewable energy installations.
- Landscaping - installation of terraces, walls, railings, fences, driveways and tree felling.
- Roofing - roof coverings, roof lights.
- Value of the building extension market 2009-2014. Forecasts to 2018.
- Mix of single and two-storey extensions by type of use, by volume 2013 - e.g. what proportion of single storey planned extensions are for a new kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms and other.
KEY PRODUCTS IN THE HOME EXTENSION SECTOR
- Review of the key products used in the home extension market - including the value of each product group within the home extension sector for: bricks, blocks and concrete; kitchens; bathrooms; decorating materials; insulation and roofing, doors and windows; and plasterboard.
Developments Granted by Planning Authorities 2009-2014
Table of Contents
- 1.1. BACKGROUND
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- 2.1. SITUATION ASSESSMENT
- 2.2. FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6. STERLING
- 3.7. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. HOME EXTENSION MARKET
- 4.1. DEFINITION
- 4.2. OVERALL MARKET
- 4.2.1. Overall Planning Decisions
- 4.2.2. Householder Developments
- 4.3. REGIONAL ANALYSIS
- 4.3.1. England
- 4.3.2. Scotland & Wales
- 4.4. KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.4.1. Legislation - England & Wales
- 4.4.2. Legislation - Scotland
- 4.4.3. Established Base of Housing
- 4.4.4. House Prices
- 4.4.5. Residential Construction Output
- 4.4.6. Mortgage Lending and Affordability
- 4.4.7. Residential Property Transactions
- 4.4.8. Renewable Energy Technologies
- 4.4.9. Interior Design Trends
5. TYPES OF HOME EXTENSION
- 5.1. OVERALL MIX
- 5.2. SINGLE STOREY BUILDING EXTENSIONS
- 5.3. TWO STOREY BUILDING EXTENSIONS
- 5.4. OTHER BUILDING EXTENSIONS
- 5.5. EXTERNAL BUILDING ALTERATIONS
- 5.6. INTERNAL BUILDING ALTERATIONS
- 5.7. OTHER BUILDING PROJECTS
- 5.7.1. Heating & Ventilation
- 5.7.2. Landscaping
- 5.7.3. Roofing
6. KEY PRODUCTS
- 6.1. PRODUCT DEFINITION
- 6.2. PRODUCT MIX
- 6.2.1. Doors & Windows
- 6.2.2. Plasterboard & Insulation
- 6.2.3. Bricks, Blocks & Concrete
- 6.2.4. Roofing
- 6.2.5. Kitchen Furniture & Appliances
- 6.2.6. Baths, Showers, Sanitaryware
- 6.2.7. Decor
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED BY PLANNING AUTHORITIES 2009-2014
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2011-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1994-2018
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2018
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: NUMBER OF PLANNING DECISIONS GRANTED IN GREAT BRITAIN BY TYPE - MAJOR, MINOR, HOUSEHOLDER 2009-2014
- TABLE 7: NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED IN GREAT BRITAIN 2009-2018
- CHART 8: NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED IN ENGLAND, WALES AND SCOTLAND 2008 TO 2014
- CHART 9: PLANNING DECISIONS MADE BY REGION - ENGLAND - HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS
- TABLE 10: HOUSING STOCK MIX BY DWELLING TYPE, NUMBER OF BEDROOMS & BATHROOMS GB
- CHART 11: AVERAGE PRICE OF ALL DWELLINGS UK 2003 - 2014 (£000)
- CHART 12: RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK AND RMI QUARTERLY ANALYSIS 2011 TO 2013 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 13: RESIDENTIAL LENDING - REMORTGAGES & OTHER LOANS BY VALUE £000'S 2007-2013
- CHART 14: NUMBER OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS - GB - 2009-2018
- TABLE 15: MIX OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS BY TYPE OF PROJECT 2013 (VOLUME - EXTENSIONS, ROOFING, H&V, ETC)
- TABLE 16: VALUE OF BUILDING EXTENSIONS AND % OF RMI OUTPUT 2009 - 2018 (VALUE £BILLIONS)
- TABLE 17: MIX OF SINGLE STOREY DEVELOPMENTS BY TYPE OF USE 2013 (VOLUME - KITCHENS, LIVING, BATHROOM, BEDROOM ETC)
- TABLE 18: MIX OF TWO STOREY DEVELOPMENTS BY TYPE OF USE 2013 (VOLUME - KITCHENS, LIVING, BATHROOM, BEDROOM ETC)
- TABLE 19: MIX OF OTHER BUILDING EXTENSIONS BY TYPE OF USE 2013 (VOLUME - DORMERS, GARAGE, PORCH, ETC.)
- CHART 20: EXTERNAL ALTERATIONS MADE TO DWELLINGS 2013 (MIX BY VOLUME - CLADDING, OUTBUILDINGS, DOORS / WINDOWS ETC)
- CHART 21: INTERNAL ALTERATIONS MADE TO DWELLINGS 2013 (MIX BY VOLUME - DOORWAY, WALLS)
- CHART 22: HEATING & VENTILATION INSTALLATIONS IN DWELLINGS 2013 (MIX BY VOLUME - AIRCON, SOLAR, BIOMASS, HEAT PUMPS ETC)
- CHART 23: LANDSCAPING ALTERATIONS MADE TO DWELLINGS 2013 (MIX BY VOLUME - TERRACE, TREES, DRIVEWAYS, ETC.)
- CHART 24: INSTALLATION OF ROOFING PRODUCTS 2013 (MIX BY VOLUME - ROOF LIGHTS, ROOF COVERINGS)
- TABLE 25: HOME EXTENSIONS' SHARE OF THE MARKET SECTORS 2013 AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES
- CHART 26: BUILDING EXTENSION MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2013 BY VALUE (£M MERCHANT SELLING PRICES)
- CHART 27: PRODUCT MIX IN THE KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET 2013 (FURNITURE, WORKTOPS, SINKS) - BY VALUE