INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 2nd edition of the ‘Home Automation Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis', which provides an overall analysis of the market and forecasts for future opportunities within the sector. It includes comment on future prospects and implications for all companies involved in home automation technologies, including manufacturers and suppliers of related systems.
Key issues analysed:
- Detailed analysis of key trends and demand for home automation systems.
- Key technological trends influencing market development.
- Detailed analysis if key product sectors - access and security control, climate control, lighting control, home entertainment systems and others (communication systems, home health monitoring etc.).
- Assessment of the supply side of the market and a detailed analysis of the leading home automation systems manufacturers, suppliers and distributors.
Although home automation systems have been available in the UK for many years, it is only recently that they have moved away from an upper market niche into a more mainstream market. Elements included in home automation can include access & security controls, climate control, lighting and shading controls, home entertainment systems and communication systems.
The home automation market has continued to experience good growth 2013-14. The market is currently considered to be in the initial growth stage, supported by 83% growth 2010-14 and which is currently forecast to continue into the medium-term, with market value forecast to double again by 2019.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Market performance in 2013-14 - review of growth prospects and key market drivers to 2019.
- UK home automation market is complex and highly fragmented, with a large number of suppliers including manufacturers, resellers, installers and distributors.
- Impact of wireless technology has been a key driver for the retrofit market.
- Home automation systems are increasingly been used in the new house build sector.
- Adoption of 'app' driven controls has meant that consumers are now using familiar systems to access and change elements of home automation systems.
- Concerns about home energy efficiency driving the market for smart heating controls.
- Advent of audio visual streaming services has transformed the home entertainment sector and also made the installation process much easier.
Key Companies included:
ABB, ACA-Apex , Adapt Controls, Aldous Systems (Europe), AMX, Armour Home Electronics, Ashway Smart Homes, Audio 7, Audiovision, AWE Europe, Azro, Barix AG, BitWise Controls, Came UK, Carlo Gavazzi, Cloud9 systems, Control4, Convergent Home Technologies (CHT), Cooper Controls, Crestron, Cytech Technology, Digital Future Solutions, Elan Home Systems, Embedded Automation, Futronix, Gira, Globe Cache, Home Automation Inc (HAI), Home Security Systems, HomeSeer Technologies, Honeywell, Inrom, Invision UK, IQYourHome.com, Ivory Egg UK, JSJS Designs (Europe), Laser Business Systems, Loxone Electronics, Lutron EA, Maplin Electronics, Marmiteck, MidwichHome, Niko, Noxel, NuVo Technologies, Opus Technologies, Philips Dynalite, Promoveo Technology, Q-bus, Rako Controls, Reverberate, RGB Communications, Riva Entertainment, Russound, Savant, Secant, Sensible Heat, Siemens, Square D, Teletask, The Complete Home Control Group, Think Simple, URC, USD, Vantage, Vivint Inc, Xantech, Z-wave Products UK.
Key areas covered in the report include:
HOME AUTOMATION MARKET OVERVIEW
- Market definition - size and value 2010-2014 and future prospects to 2019.
- Market structure.
- Technologies used - home networks, hardwired and wireless, system protocols - advantages and disadvantages, proprietary systems vs. standardised.
- Key influencing factors - social and demographic change, housebuilding, consumer confidence, technological innovations, environmental considerations etc.
- Future prospects to 2019 - key market drivers - technological influences etc.
MARKET SIZE, TRENDS AND INFLUENCES
- Home automation market - background, definition, components used, key advantages and disadvantages, market penetration, pricing trends, move towards mainstream systems, mix by type of installation etc.
- Key trends by application sector -access and security control, climate control (heating and ventilation), lighting control, home entertainment systems, communication systems, home health monitoring, other home systems.
- Environmental concerns - including building regulations and legislation, energy savings, impact of smart meters, development of smart grid, use with renewables etc.
- Technological influences - including internet access trends, super-fast broadband coverage, mobile internet usage, tablet computers, home automation apps, cloud-based systems, touch panel controls, home automation packages, third party products, future developments etc.
- Housing market - including housing completions - overall and by dwelling type, use in new homes, second residences, RMI activity, self build sector etc.
- Demographic factors - ageing population, growing number of people with special needs, independent living etc.
SUPPLIER TRENDS AND DISTRIBUTION
- Market positioning of leading UK home automation suppliers.
- Review and analysis of leading home automation suppliers, including company profile, turnover, key products etc.
- Distribution - including overall structure and market mix by channel.
- Specialist suppliers - home automation distributors and specialist dealers.
- Other suppliers - direct from manufacturer, internet sales, non-specialist retailers, electrical wholesalers, utilities.
UK Home Automation Market - 2011-2016 by Value
Table of Contents
- 1.1. BACKGROUND
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1. SUMMARY
- 2.2. FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6. STERLING
- 3.7. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. UK MARKET FOR HOME AUTOMATION
- 4.1. DEFINITION
- 4.1.1. Systems
- 4.1.2. Advantages of Home Automation Systems
- 4.2. MARKET SIZE
- 4.3. MIX BY INSTALLATION TYPE
- 4.4. MARKET DRIVERS AND INFLUENCES
- 4.4.1. Environmental Influences
- 4.4.2. Technological Influences
- 4.4.3. Housing Market
- 4.4.4. Demographic Factors
- 5.1. TECHNOLOGIES
- 5.2. APPLICATION AREAS
- 5.2.1. Access and Security Control
- 5.2.2. Climate Control
- 5.2.3. Lighting Controls
- 5.2.4. Home Entertainment Systems
- 5.2.5. Communication Systems
- 5.2.6. Home Health
- 5.2.7. Other Systems
- 6.1. SUPPLY OVERVIEW
- 6.2. KEY COMPANY PROFILES
- 6.3. OTHER SUPPLIERS
- 7.1. DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 7.2. DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 7.3. HOME AUTOMATION SPECIALISTS
- 7.3.1. Distributors
- 7.3.2. Installers
- 7.4. DIRECT SALES / INTERNET
- 7.5. NON-SPECIALISTS
- 7.5.1. Electrical Wholesalers
- 7.5.2. Plumbers Merchants
- 7.5.3. Electrical/Electronic Retailers
- 7.5.4. Multiple Retailers
- 7.5.5. Utilities Companies
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: UK HOME AUTOMATION MARKET FORECASTS 2010 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£M DSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2012-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: KEY ADVANTAGES OF HOME AUTOMATION
- TABLE 7: UK HOME AUTOMATION MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2010 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£M DSP)
- CHART 8: HOME AUTOMATION MARKET - PRODUCT MIX (COMPONENTS, INSTALLATION/SETUP COSTS) - % VALUE MIX 2014
- CHART 9: HOME AUTOMATION MARKET - RESIDENTIAL / NON-RESIDENTIAL -% MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION 2014
- CHART 10: INSTALLATIONS OF SMART METERS INTO DOMESTIC PROPERTIES BY LARGER ENERGY SUPPLIERS Q3 2012 - Q3 2014 - BY VOLUME (NUMBER OF METERS)
- CHART 11: UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2008 - 2014 % OF HOUSEHOLDS
- CHART 12: TAKE UP OF INTERNET ENABLED DEVICES 2012 - 2014 - % OF HOUSEHOLD OWNING DEVICES (LAPTOP, SMARTPHONE, TABLET, SMART TV ETC)
- TABLE 13: UK HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (GB)2009 - 2018 BY VOLUME (‘000 DWELLINGS)
- CHART 14: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES AND FLATS) 2008 - 2014 - % BY TYPE
- TABLE 15: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2008 TO H1 2014 - VOLUME (000'S)
- CHART 16: SECOND HOMES OWNED/RENTED BY HOUSEHOLDS IN ENGLAND 2008 - 2013 - NUMBER OF SECOND HOMES (000'S)
- TABLE 17: UK SELF BUILD MARKET 2008 - 2016 - BY VOLUME (000'S)
- CHART 18: UK POPULATION 65+ MID-YEAR PROJECTIONS 2001, 2013 AND 2035 (MILLIONS)
- TABLE 19: UK INTRUDER ALARM MARKET 2009 2014 (£M AT END-USER PRICES)
- TABLE 20: UK DOMESTIC HEATING CONTROLS MARKET 2009 - 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 21: UK DOMESTIC HEATING CONTROLS - % VALUE SHARE BY TYPE 2013 (PROGRAMMERS, THERMOSTATS, THERMOSTATIC RADIATOR VALVES ETC)
- TABLE 22: UK LIGHTING CONTROLS & COMPONENTS MARKET 2009 - 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 23: UK HOME AUTOMATION MARKET - KEY SUPPLIERS - % MARKET SHARE 2014
- CHART 24: DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL STRUCTURE FOR HOME AUTOMATION SYSTEMS
- CHART 25: UK HOME AUTOMATION MARKET - DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS (SPECIALISTS, DIRECT, OTHERS) - % SHARE 2014
- CHART 26: UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET 2014 - % BY VALUE (REXEL, EDMUNDSON, CEF ETC.)