Product Code: Gdn11
The 4th edition of the ' Internet Garden Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis ' comprises a detailed study of the developing online distribution market for garden products and analyses current trends by product sector. It reviews recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years for both specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialists in this market. This unique market research report answers the need for both quantative and qualitative anaysis of the internet gardening market and represents an invaluable guide to both online retailers and garden product suppliers.
Key sections covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market structure and developments.
- Mix of specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialist suppliers in the internet garden products market.
- Internet distribution market - analysis by product group.
- Market size, supplier mix and market trends .
- Product sector analysis - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries.
Key areas of insight include:
- Overview of garden products market - size and forecasts to 2020.
- Review of internet garden products market - market value estimates 2011-2016, market segmentation, online product mix estimates, forecasts to 2020.
- Continuingly evolving competitive market .
- Review of key internet suppliers - profiles of the main garden products e-tailers and non-specialists.
- Market forecasts - growth prospects in 2016-2020, key sectors, opportunities.
Some of the companies included:
Amazon, Argos, Calgary Just Companies, crocus.co.uk, Dobbies Garden Centres, Garden Bargains, Garden Centre Online, Garden Direct, Garden Products Online, Garden Supply Direct, Garden4less, Gardening Express, Gerrico, Greenfingers Trading, Growhouse, Hall's Garden Supplies, Jersey Choice, Keengardener, Kybotech, Lighting for Gardens, MBL Group, Meika, Moneta UK, MowDirect, Notcutts, Oxfordshire Garden Furniture, J Parker Dutch Bulbs (Wholesale), Pepe Garden Furniture, Simply Paving, Summer Garden and Leisure Building, Sutton Seeds, Taylored Investments, Taylors Garden Buildings, Tesco, The Garden Centre Group, The Garden Superstore, The Internet Gardener, Thompson & Morgan, Water Garden, Wyevale Garden Centres.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Overall garden products market - size, structure and forecasts 2010-2020, relative market performance, key drivers, distribution channel mix shares, role of internet etc.
- Overall internet garden products market - size by value 2010-2020, annual rates of change, current trends, future prospects, comparisons of internet sector and total market 2010-2020.
- Definition of 'online' channels - specialist garden e-tailers, non-specialists with online operations (DIY Outlets, Argos / Mail Order, Screwfix etc.) channel shares, trends.
- Future prospects - forecasts up to 2020, key drivers, changes in supply structure.
- Overall product mix of internet channel - share by value by product group within internet channel.
- Review of product groups - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries (garden decoration, fencing, trellis & garden structures, decking, water & transfer products and propagation & netting).
- Product groups - definition, market size and review of recent trends and factors affecting each sector.
- Internet distribution mix for each product group - specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialists, relative shares, differences between sectors, trends etc.
- Overview of internet garden products sector - fragmented structure, role of internet within overall garden products distribution.
- Market shares - mix between specialist garden product e-tailers and non-specialists, blurring of definitions, changing trends, new market entrants, product mix estimates etc.
- Market positioning of internet retailers - specialists / non-specialists, areas of differentiation, major variations between product sectors.
- Market size and forecasts 2011-2020 with key market drivers, influences and future prospects.
- Product mix by value - key trends and factors influencing changes to product mix, LV circuit protection devices, isolating switches, distribution boards & switchgear.
- Key trends and underlying drivers by product groups indicated above.
INTERNET TRENDS AND OPERATIONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Internet trends - including e-retail market, penetration of internet, broadband and mobile devices, typical purchaser profile by age and gender, trends in online household goods purchases, online retail strategies.
- Buying trends - including online research and user expectations, growth in social networking, influence of customer reviews & blogs and online advertising.
- Pricing & distribution - online price comparison tools, price matching facilities, availability of apps, discounts and vouchers, comment on payment methods, product delivery options etc.
- Marketing & customer support - word of mouth promotion, effectiveness of online advertising, social networking, impact of customer reviews, live help facility, email facility, videos, FAQs.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The total internet garden market can be divided into two broad categories; specialist garden e-tailers - where their online operations represent the main or growing proportion of their distribution route to market; and non-specialists - garden products available on through the internet does not represent either their main product range or main distribution channel. Growth in online sales of gardening products have outpaced the overall garden products market by some distance in recent years. Much of this has been driven by the continued penetration of broadband internet services and mobile devices such as smartphones, as well as the expanding number of companies which now compete in the online sector. Between 2011 and 2015, Internet sales of garden products more than doubled, with the sector growing by an estimated 24% within the last year alone.
Segmentation of the internet garden products sector differs from the market as a whole. In 2015, garden leisure products accounted for the largest share of internet garden products sales followed by horticulture and garden equipment. This compares to the total garden products market where horticulture takes the leading share. Both the internet sector and the overall market have drawn benefit from the fact that more people are keen to use their gardens for entertaining and socialising. This trend has pushed up demand in sectors such as garden furniture, barbecues and decorative garden features in particular. However, like the category as a whole, internet sales of garden products remain heavily influenced by weather conditions. Sales within the garden products market remain heavily skewed towards certain times of the year, with spring through to the summer its key selling periods.
It is estimated that non-specialist retailers such as DIY multiples account for the majority share of the internet garden products in 2015-16. However, competition continues to grow within the overall category, as a number of grocery multiples and high street retailers have recently increased their presence in the market. The continued growth of the UK online retailing market has seen increasing numbers of both specialists and non-specialists develop Internet sales platforms. The garden centres sector has been slower than others in adopting online sales platforms, but this is now beginning to change.
Growth within the overall market for garden products is likely to be fairly restrained in the medium term however, more impressive growth is forecast for the Internet sector, which is less mature and at an earlier stage of development. By 2020, it is expected that the internet sector will account for over 18% of the total garden products distribution market and will have grown by more than 55% compared with 2016 levels. While impressive, market growth is expected to slow during the years leading up to 2020, as the sector continues to mature. Ultimately, internet sales of garden products will depend upon demand within the overall market. Future growth rates are expected to vary between sectors, reflecting factors such as varying levels of maturity, replacement frequencies and consumer tastes and fashions.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 UK MARKET FOR INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.2.1 Overall Garden Products Market Size
- 4.2.2 Overall Garden Products Market Structure
- 4.2.3 Garden Products Distribution Channel Mix
- 4.2.4 Internet Distribution Channel Structure
- 4.2.5 Market Size and Forecasts of Internet Garden Market
- 4.2.6 Distribution Mix of Total Internet Garden Products Market
- 4.3 INTERNET MARKET TRENDS AND INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 E-commerce Market
- 4.3.2 Internet Access
- 4.3.3 Online Research
- 4.3.4 Purchaser Profile
- 4.3.5 Social Networking, User Reviews and Blogs
- 4.3.6 Online Shopping Trends
- 4.3.7 Digital Advertising
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX
- 5.2 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 5.2.1 Horticulture
- 5.2.2 Garden Buildings
- 5.2.3 Garden Leisure
- 5.2.4 Garden Equipment
- 5.2.5 Garden Chemicals
- 5.2.6 Garden Sundries
- 5.3 MARKET INFLUENCES
- 5.3.1 The Housing Market
- 5.3.2 Mix of Housebuilding Completions
- 5.3.3 Consumer Characteristics
- 5.3.4 Weather
6 SUPPLY & DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 6.1 OVERVIEW
- 6.2 OVERVIEW OF SPECIALIST GARDEN E-TAILERS
- 6.2.1 Market Shares
- 6.2.2 Key Suppliers - Specialist Garden E-tailers
- 6.3 NON-SPECIALISTS
- 6.3.1 Non-specialist Channel Shares
- 6.3.2 Key Suppliers
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 7 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS
- CHART 8 UK GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL MIX 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 9 INTERNET DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL STRUCTURE FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS
- TABLE 10 UK INTERNET GARDEN MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 11 COMPARISON OF OVERALL AND INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCT SALES AND FORECASTS 2008 TO2020 (INDEX 2011=100)
- TABLE 12 DISTRIBUTION MIX IN TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN MARKET (SPECIALIST E-TAILERS & NON SPECIALISTS) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 13 UK B2C ECOMMERCE MARKET 2011TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£BN) AND % OF TOTAL RETAIL SALES
- CHART 14 GB HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2012 TO 2016 - % OF HOUSEHOLDS
- CHART 15 GB USERS WITH MOBILE INTERNET ACCESS 2012, 2014 & 2016 % OF ALL USERS
- CHART 16 MOBILE INTERNET USAGE BY DEVICE (GB) 2014, 2015 AND 2016 - % SHARE OF ALL USERS AGED 16+
- CHART 17 ONLINE RESEARCHER PROFILE BY AGE GROUP 2016 (%)
- CHART 18 ONLINE PURCHASERS OF HOUSEHOLD GOODS BY AGE 2016 (%)
- CHART 19 SOCIAL NETWORKING PROFILE BY AGE CATEGORY 2016 (%)
- TABLE 20 ONLINE RETAILER STRATEGIES 2016
- CHART 21 ONLINE ADVERTISING MIX BY SECTOR 2015 (PAID FOR SEARCHES, DISPLAY ADS, PAID FOR CLASSIFIEDS ETC) - %
- CHART 22 INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCT SALES MIX (HORTICULTURAL, LEISURE, EQUIPMENT, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES, CHEMICALS) 2015-16- % BY VALUE
- TABLE 23 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR DOMESTIC HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS 2015-16 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 24 DISTRIBUTION MIX IN TOTAL INTERNET HORTICULTURE PRODUCTS MARKET (SPECIALIST/NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2015-16 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 25 HORTICULTURE PRODUCTS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2015-16 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 26 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN BUILDINGS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST/NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2015-16 -% BY VALUE
- CHART 27 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN LEISURE MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST/NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2016-16 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 28 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN EQUIPMENT MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2015-16 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 29 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN CHEMICALS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALISTS E-TAILERS) 2015-16 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 30 UK TOTAL DOMESTIC MARKET FOR GARDEN SUNDRIES 2015-16 (WATER, FENCING, PAVING, POTS/PLANTERS, DECKING, LIGHTING ETC) - % BY VALUE
- CHART 31 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN SUNDRIES MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2015-16- % BY VALUE
- CHART 32 UK HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME
- CHART 33 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS - % MIX BY HOUSES / FLATS ENGLAND 2004/05-2015/16
- CHART 34 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2015 ('000S)
- CHART 35 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS)2015-16 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 36 SPECIALIST E-TAILER GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET SHARE
- TABLE 37 NON-SPECIALISTS INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET RETAIL SHARE ANALYSIS (DIY MULTIPLES, MAIL ORDER/CATALOGUE, OTHERS) 2015-16 - %