Product Code: Frn3
INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
The 13th edition of the ‘Upholstered Furniture and Beds Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' covers the upholstered furniture market for sofas and armchairs, along with beds and mattresses in the domestic and contract sectors. A detailed assessment of each product sector is included, with an analysis of major developments, trends and market prospects, product mix, materials used and a review of the supply and distribution structure.
Key content covered:
- Overall UK furniture market - market size, key trends and influences including the development of the UK housing market.
- Upholstered furniture market- sofas and armchairs, action furniture, sofa beds.
- Beds and mattresses market - divan sets, bedsteads, mattresses, childrens' beds etc.
- Review of the supply and distribution structure - shares and key trends, major channels of distribution and summary of key suppliers.
- Forecasts - for market developments up to 2020.
Recent trends include:
- Latest views and forecasts, the impact of the EU referendum on consumer confidence and likely effect on the market through to 2020.
- Key trends in the upholstered furniture market - high level of price competition, product trends e.g. sofas and individual armchairs are expected to gain share at the expense of three piece suites, growing popularity of L and U shaped sofas etc.
- Key trends trends in the mattress sector e.g. using high quality materials, which include more attractive ticking and designs, memory foam mattresses, pillow tops and so on. Imports and exports and new entrants into the mattress sector in the ‘bed in a box' sector.
- Key trends in the bed sector including import and export levels, the shift towards larger bed sizes, the development of niche sectors and the growth of upholstered bed frames etc.
- The overall UK furniture market, key market drivers including demographic trends, housing trends, imports etc.
Some of the companies included:
Airsprung Beds, Alstons (Upholstery), AMX Design, Ashley Manor Upholstery, Buoyant Upholstery, Celebrity Motion Furniture, DFS Trading, Dunlopillo, Ekornes, Furnico, Gainsborough Beds, G Plan Upholstery, Harrison Spinks Beds, Highgrove Beds, Hypnos, JDP Furniture Group, Kozee Sleep Beds, Layezee Beds, Lebus Upholstery, Parker & Farr Furniture, Parker Knoll Upholstery, Pritex, Relyon, Rest Assured, Sealy UK, Sherborne Upholstery, Silentnight Beds, Silentnight Group, Simmons Bedding Group, Sofa Brands International, Slumberland, Steinhoff UK Beds, Steinhoff UK Holdings, Sweet Dreams (Nelson), Tempur UK, The Hush-a-Bye Collection, The Pocket Spring Company, Vi-Spring, Welbeck House, Westbridge Furniture Designs.
Key areas covered in the report include:
UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET
- Recent market performance, current trends and forecasts to 2020. Key underlying trends e.g. price competition, distribution and product trends.
- Sales mix by product type i.e. sofas, armchairs, action furniture and others including sofa beds. Review of each product, key trends, changing product mix, strengths and weaknesses, key suppliers.
- Sales mix by materials, fabric & leather covers and fillings - together with changing trends in material usage and comparisons with previous years, including key suppliers.
- Imports & exports for the main product groups, key trends, growth of imports and effects on UK market etc.
- Market mix according to end use i.e. domestic and contract with key trends in contract sector.
- Suppliers of upholstered furniture and market shares for leading companies. Review of major suppliers, market positioning etc.
BEDS & MATTRESSES MARKET
- Recent market performance, current trends and forecasts to 2020. Key underlying trends e.g. trading up in certain sectors, the growth of niche sectors, the impact of lower value bedsteads etc.
- Share of market by product type: double beds and single beds by volume and value including key trends.
- Market mix by product type i.e. divan sets, bedsteads, mattresses and other. Review of each product sector including adjustable beds, key trends and growth sectors, changing mix, comparisons with previous years, strengths and weaknesses, key suppliers.
- Product mix by mattress support type including rubber, plastic and spring, and key trends within each sector.
- Imports and exports main product groups, key trends and influences on UK market.
- Sales mix according to end use i.e. domestic and contract, key trends in contract sector.
- Suppliers of beds & mattresses and market shares for leading companies. Review of major suppliers, market positioning etc.
SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- Summary of shares and key trends within the distribution channels, including furniture multiples and direct channels such as the Internet for both the upholstered furniture and beds sectors.
- Major channels of distribution - multiples, independents, department stores, internet etc. - shares by type of outlets, areas of growth/decline, future trends.
- Summary of key distribution / retailing companies within major distribution channels.
- Summary of key suppliers, product and market positioning, growing companies, changes in supply structure etc.
REVIEW OF MARKET PROSPECTS
- Economic influences on the market in the medium term and the development of key product sectors within the upholstered furniture and beds market from 2016-2020.
Table of Contents
- 1.1. BACKGROUND
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS
- 2.1. SITUATION ASSESSMENT
- 2.2. MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. DOMESTIC HOUSING
- 3.6. STERLING
- 3.7. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. OVERALL UK FURNITURE MARKET & HOUSING INFLUENCES
- 4.1. OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 4.2. CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS
- 4.3. HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS
- 4.3.1. New Housebuilding
- 4.3.2. House Moving
- 4.3.3. Household Size
- 4.3.4. Private Rental Market
5. THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET
- 5.1. DEFINITION
- 5.2. MARKET SIZE AND BACKGROUND
- 5.2.1. Market Size
- 5.2.2. Current Situation
- 5.2.3. Market Prospects
- 5.3. IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
- 5.4. PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4.1. Upholstery Type
- 5.4.2. Materials
- 5.4.3. Frames
- 5.4.4. Fillings
- 5.5. END USER MIX
- 5.6. SUPPLIERS
- 5.6.1. Market Structure
- 5.6.2. Market Shares
- 5.6.3. Companies
6. BEDS & MATTRESSES
- 6.1. DEFINITION
- 6.2. MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 6.2.1. Market Size
- 6.2.2. Current Trends
- 6.2.3. Market Prospects
- 6.2.4. Imports & Exports
- 6.3. PRODUCT MIX
- 6.3.1. Bed Size
- 6.3.2. Bed Type/Style
- 6.3.3. Mattresses
- 6.3.4. Others
- 6.4. CONTRACT / NON-DOMESTIC MARKET
- 6.5. SUPPLIERS
- 6.5.1. Supplier Market Shares
- 6.5.2. Companies
- 7.1. STRUCTURE
- 7.2. DEFINITIONS
- 7.3. STORE LAYOUT AND DESIGN
- 7.4. CHANNEL SHARES
- 7.4.1. Furniture Multiples
- 7.4.2. Furniture Independents
- 7.4.3. Department Stores
- 7.4.4. Variety Stores
- 7.4.5. Catalogue Retailers / Mail Order
- 7.4.6. The Internet
- 7.4.7. Grocery Multiples
TABLES AND CHARTS
- TABLE 1: THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE & BEDS MARKET 2011-2020 (£M MSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020
- TABLE 5: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS 2011-2020 - UK (000'S DWELLINGS)
- CHART 6: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2005-2020 % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING
- TABLE 7: RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK (000S) 2011-2020
- TABLE 8: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 9: DOMESTIC FURNITURE MARKET - UK (£M MSP) 2011-2020
- CHART 10: UK MARKET MIX OF FURNITURE 2002, 2008 & 2015
- TABLE 11: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME (‘000 DWELLINGS)
- TABLE 12: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (UK) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME (‘000 DWELLINGS)
- CHART 13: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS AND HOUSES) 2005-2020
- TABLE 14: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2011-2020
- TABLE 15: AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2016
- CHART 16: GROWTH OF THE PRIVATE RENTED SECTOR 2014-2025 (NO OF DWELLINGS - MILLION)
- TABLE 17: THE UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET 2011-2020 (£M MSP)
- TABLE 18: IMPORTS OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE 2012 - 2015 (£M)
- TABLE 19: EXPORTS OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE 2012 - 2015 (£M)
- TABLE 20: THE UK UPHOLSTERY MARKET BY TYPE - 2, 3, 4 SEATER SOFAS, SUITES, SINGLE SOFAS ETC (£M AND % SHARE) 2015
- CHART 21: UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET BY PRODUCT TYPE 2015 (% OF VALUE)
- TABLE 22: SHARE OF ACTION FURNITURE 2007-2015 (% OF VALUE)
- CHART 23: UK UPHOLSTERY MARKET - MIX BY COVER TYPE BY VALUE 2015
- CHART 24: UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET BY END-USER BY VALUE 2015
- TABLE 25: MARKET SHARES - UK UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE MARKET SUPPLIERS 2015
- TABLE 26: THE UK BEDS & MATTRESSES MARKET 2011-2020 BY VALUE
- TABLE 27: IMPORTS OF DIVANS, BEDSTEADS & MATTRESSES 2012 - 2015 (£M)
- TABLE 28: EXPORTS OF DIVANS, BEDSTEADS & MATTRESSES 2012 - 2015 (£M)
- TABLE 29: PRODUCT MIX - DIVANS & BEDSTEADS 2015
- CHART 30: THE UK BEDS MARKET BY KEY PRODUCT TYPE 2015 (SHARE BY VALUE)
- CHART 31: THE UK MARKET FOR MATTRESSES BY TYPE OF SUPPORT 2015 (% OF VALUE)
- TABLE 32: UK BED MANUFACTURERS' MARKET SHARES 2015 (% OF VALUE)
- TABLE 33: DISTRIBUTION OF UPHOLSTERED FURNITURE AND BEDS 2015 (% OF VALUE)