Product Code: bld4
The 15th edition of the 'Builders and Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' provides an informed and up-to-date review of this influential market and addresses the market size and structure, key market drivers, key companies, product mix and ongoing changes in the supply chain driven by factors such as technology.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market size, structure and recent developments in the market in the light of a strengthened building and construction industry.
- Market forecasts to 2021.
- Assessment of key influences - market size, influencing market factors, key players and customer groups.
- Market analysis - key characteristics of market, SWOT etc.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, sector trends and merchants market share.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Analysis of market size; comprehensive review of key factors/trends influencing the market.
- Market performance to 2016 and forecasts through to 2021.
- Review of leading national players and other important regional companies.
- Product group analysis - market sizes, influences, trends and merchant shares.
- Identification of key customer groups in merchant market.
- Changing customer buying behaviour - demand for online purchasing, click & collect.
- Detailed market data and insight on the builders and plumbers merchants market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
AE Spink, Alsford Timber, Bradfords Building Supplies, Building & Plumbing Supplies, Buttle, C&W Berry, Chandlers Building Supplies, Coomers, Covers Timber and Builders Merchants, Crossling, EH Smith, Elliott Brothers, Findlay, G B Willbond, George Bence, GPH Builders Merchants, Grafton Group, Graham, Grant & Stone, Haldane Fisher, Harris & Bailey, HPS (Heating Plumbing Supplies), Huws Gray, Jewson, James Burrell, James Hargreaves, Joseph Parr Group, JT Atkinsons & Sons, JT Dove, Lawsons (Whetstone), LBS Builders Merchants, MKM Building Supplies, MP Moran & Sons, Nicholls & Clarke Limited, Parker Building Supplies, RGB Building Supplies (RGB), Ridgeons, Saint-Gobain Building Distribution, Sehmi Builders Merchants, Shropshire Building Supplies, Smith Brothers (Leicester), Sydenhams, Screwfix, TG Builders Merchants, Wolseley UK.
- National merchants - turnover, company structure, recent performance, market share.
- Regional merchants - key players, turnover, main product areas and branch numbers.
- Buying groups - identification of the main groups and sector consolidation.
- Merchants characteristics - product ranges, profitability, debtors, turnover per employee.
- Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in the merchant sector.
Builders and Plumbers Merchants Market
- The merchants market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2012-2021, drivers, insight, market intelligence, trends and forecasts to 2021.
- Dominance of the national merchants - Travis Perkins, Saint Gobain, Grafton, Wolseley and Screwfix; market mix by merchants type (nationals, regionals & locals).
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development - growth of online purchasing, 'click & collect' etc.
- Identification of merchant's main customers.
- Product pricing trends in the industry.
- Review of market structure - lightside and heavyside product distribution.
- Merchants share of overall construction output.
- Merchants share by each product group.
Products and Suppliers
- Product group reviewed - plumbing & drainage, heating & ventilation, bricks, blocks, clay & concrete products, cement & plaster materials, timber & timber products, kitchen furniture & appliances, roofing & insulation, decorating materials and ironmongery & miscellaneous.
- Product mix for builders and plumbers merchants.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2012-2016 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including recent major trends and key factors affecting the sub-sector.
- Forecast of expected market development - short term prospects and medium term prospects through to 2021.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - increasing confidence for sustained UK economy recovery; residential & non-domestic construction levels, public and private sector performance likely to differ substantially.
- Outlook for the builders and plumbers merchants' market through to 2021 and key drivers.
It is estimated that the builders and plumbers merchants' market will see growth of 2% in 2017, compared with 2016, in value terms. The end use sectors of the merchants' market have fared differently reflecting each sectors' construction performance. However, most end-use sectors have experienced growth since 2013, stimulating demand for merchants' products, with key sectors including housebuilding, offices, infrastructure, industrial and education.
The merchants, which are dominated by a group of 5 organisations, remain an important distribution channel in the overall construction market. However, the merchants' market has undergone some significant structural changes, with many national operations consolidating and restructuring to streamline and enhance multi-channel offerings, and the regional sector has expanded branch networks.
Competition from other channels, particularly the internet and home improvement multiples, continues to impact on the market. However, merchants appear to have outperformed home improvement multiples in recent years and their expansion into e-commerce has offset some of the movement towards internet-only distributors.
Prospects for the merchants' market remain optimistic, although cautious, with confidence in the continued recovery of the UK economy positive but tempered by the uncertainty of the outcome of the General Election and Brexit negotiations. Drivers in the residential sector include under-investment in the housing stock in terms of new build requirements and the age of the current dwellings, which has stimulated expenditure on RMI activity. The cost of fuel and energy as well as the volatility of the exchange rate of Sterling against both the US Dollar and the Euro is likely to drive up prices and therefore market value will increase.
Table of Contents
List of Report Contents
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. THE BUILDERS' AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 PRODUCTS
- 4.3 MARKET STRUCTURE
- 4.3.1 Lightside Product Distribution
- 4.3.2 Heavyside Product Distribution
- 4.3.3 Buying Groups
- 4.4 MARKET SIZE
- 4.4.1 Current Trends
- 4.4.2 Market Prospects
- 4.5 MERCHANTS' SHARE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT
- 4.6 BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.6.1 Non-Residential Construction Market
- 4.6.2 The Housing Market
5. THE BUILDERS' & PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS
- 5.1 MARKET SHARE
- 5.2 MERCHANT COMPANY PROFILES
- 5.2.1 National Merchants
- 5.2.2 Large Regional Merchants
- 5.2.3 Medium & Small Size Regionals
- 5.2.4 Local Merchants
- 5.3 CHARACTERISTICS OF BUILDERS' & PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS
- 5.3.1 Profitability
- 5.3.2 Debtors
- 5.3.3 Turnover Per Employee
- 5.3.4 Pricing and Prices
- 5.4 MERCHANTS' MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS
- 5.5 MERCHANTS' COMPETITORS
6. MERCHANTS' CUSTOMERS
- 6.1 BUILDERS
- 6.1.1 House Builders/General Builders
- 6.1.2 Commercial Construction
- 6.1.3 Civil Engineering
- 6.2 PLUMBING & HEATING CONTRACTORS
- 6.3 MECHANICAL & ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS
- 6.4 OTHER CUSTOMERS
- 7.1 PRODUCT MIX
- 7.2 MERCHANT SHARES BY PRODUCT
- 7.3 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 7.3.1 Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- 7.3.2 Timber & Glazing
- 7.3.3 Bricks, Blocks, Building Envelopes and Concrete (BBBEC)
- 7.3.4 Cement & Plaster
- 7.3.5 Domestic Kitchens
- 7.3.6 Plumbing and Drainage
- 7.3.7 Bathrooms
- 7.3.8 Roofing & Insulation
- 7.3.9 Decorating
- 7.3.10 Other Products
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK BUILDERS' AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£BN MERCHSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA -2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6: CHANGE IN PRODUCT CATEGORY DEFINITIONS
- CHART 7: BUILDING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- TABLE 8: UK BUILDERS' & PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 9: GROWTH FORECASTS OF END-USE SECTORS OF MERCHANTS' MARKET,2016-2021
- TABLE 10: MERCHANTS' SHARE OF UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT2012 TO2017 (£BN)
- CHART 11: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN)2012 -2021
- CHART 12: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR2016 AND2021 - % BY VALUE GB
- TABLE 13: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS (UK)2012 TO2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS)
- TABLE 14: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (UK)2012 TO2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS)
- CHART 15: MERCHANTS BY TURNOVER -2014 &2016
- CHART 16: MIX OF MERCHANTS BY TYPE (NATIONAL, REGIONAL, LOCAL)2016
- CHART 17: LEADING MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES2016
- TABLE 18: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET - TRAVIS PERKINS
- TABLE 19: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET - WOLSELEY UK
- TABLE 20: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET - SAINT GOBAIN BUILDING DISTRIBUTION
- TABLE 21: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANT MARKET - GRAFTON UK BUILDING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION
- TABLE 22: KEY INDICATORS UK BUILDERS' MERCHANT MARKET - SCREWFIX
- TABLE 23: LEADING SMALLER REGIONAL MERCHANT COMPANIES201550
- TABLE 24: MERCHANTS' PROFITABILITY2012 TO2016
- TABLE 25: MERCHANTS' DEBTORS LEVELS2012 TO2016
- TABLE 26: MERCHANTS' TURNOVER PER EMPLOYEE2012 TO2016
- TABLE 27: PERCENTAGE CHANGE OF PRICE INDICES OF CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS2012-2016
- TABLE 28: MERCHANTS' MARKET SWOT ANALYSIS
- CHART 29: DIY MULTIPLES & BUILDERS' MERCHANTS' SALES2012-2017 (INDEX2012=100)
- TABLE 30: ENTERPRISES REGISTERED FOR VAT INVOLVED IN CONSTRUCTION OF BUILDINGS BY TURNOVER BAND2012 &2016
- TABLE 31: PLUMBING, HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING INSTALLERS REGISTERED FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND2016
- TABLE 32: UK ENTERPRISES REGISTERED FOR VAT INVOLVED IN MEP ACTIVITIES BY EMPLOYMENT SIZE BAND -2016
- CHART 33: MIX OF BUSINESSES WITH MORE THAN20 EMPLOYEES BY PRIMARY ACTIVITY2016
- CHART 34: BUILDERS' AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET PRODUCT MIX2016
- TABLE 35: BUILDERS' & PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' SHARE OF MARKET SECTORS2016 (£M MERCH SP)
- CHART 36: THE HEATING VENTILATION & AIR CONDITIONING MARKET2012 TO2021 BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 37: PRODUCT MIX HEATING, VENTILATION & AIR CONDITIONING PRODUCTS2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 38: UK MARKET FOR TIMBER & GLAZING PRODUCTS2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 39: PRODUCT MIX TIMBER & GLAZING PRODUCTS2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 40: UK MARKET FOR BRICKS, BLOCKS, BUILDING ENVELOPE & CONCRETE2012 TO2021 (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 41: UK MARKET FOR CEMENT & PLASTER2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 42: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC KITCHENS2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 43: UK MARKET FOR PLUMBING & DRAINAGE2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 44: UK MARKET FOR BATHROOM PRODUCTS2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 45: UK MARKET FOR ROOFING & INSULATION2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 46: UK MARKET FOR DECORATING MATERIALS2012 TO2021 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 47: PRODUCT MIX FOR 'OTHER' PRODUCTS2016 - % BY VALUE