INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research have published the 14th edition of the report ‘Electrical Wholesale Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis’. The report incorporates original input and primary research, and represents an up-to-date and perceptive review of the market and its development. Providing both a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the electrical wholesalers' market focusing on market size and trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects.
Key issues analysed include:
- Product sectors - cable systems, test equipment, security & fire systems, wiring accessories, lighting, circuit protection equipment, ventilation and electric heating.
- Market activity levels with forecasts to 2019 and key influences, including analysis of construction and housing trends.
- Market structure and analysis of the leading electrical wholesaler groups.
- Competitive channels, growth of the Internet channel.
- Customers and key end-use sectors.
- Markets for products sold by electrical wholesalers.
The electrical wholesale market has grown over 2013-2014, although at a slow rate, with strong performance in wholesalers' turnover and improved profitability due in part to development of new markets and improving economic conditions. Market conditions are expected to remain positive in 2015 driven by increasing construction in the private sector, wider use of electrical and electronic products, a requirement for more sophisticated control technology and trends towards the use of energy efficient products and systems.
Areas of insight include:
- Review of product opportunities and growth sectors.
- Strengths and weaknesses of electrical wholesalers and competing channels.
- Key trends in the sector, with a focus on energy efficiency.
- The impact of legislation and standards on the market.
- Recent acquisition activity and impact of raw material prices on the market.
Key areas covered in the report include:
THE ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS MARKET
- Review of the wider electrical products distribution structure.
- Market size in value terms from 2009 with forecasts through to 2019.
- Market trends, background, changes, opportunities and threats.
- Review of key market influences - economic factors, construction and housebuilding, renewable energy products, trends in the use of electrical appliances, raw material prices and international trade etc.
- Review of the impact of legislation and standards, with a focus on energy efficiency.
- Future prospects for the market with implications for suppliers and distributors.
THE ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS
- Review of characteristics and trends amongst electrical wholesale companies.
- Review of major electrical wholesaler groups - number of outlets, key characteristics, regional strengths, market positioning etc.
- Structural changes in the market, new entrants, key acquisitions, etc.
- Analysis of profitability for electrical wholesalers over time.
- Wholesalers' strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, compared with other channels of distribution.
- Analysis of wholesalers' environment - key competitive channels, buying groups, super distributors and other influencing sectors.
- Review of issues such as own label products, e-commerce, sustainability etc.
- Market size, growth and trends for each major product area - cables, lighting, wiring accessories, circuit protection and switchgear, heating and ventilation, fire & security systems etc.
- Product mix for electrical wholesalers.
- Electrical wholesalers' share of each major product area.
- Key competitive channels and major suppliers for each product area.
- Review of growth sectors, product development and new opportunities for wholesalers.
CUSTOMERS AND END USE SEGMENTS
- Customer mix of electrical wholesalers.
- Review of the electrical contracting market - market size, leading M&E contractors.
- Review of other key customer segments such as panel builders, OEMs etc.
- Review of key end-use sectors - including oil & gas, marine, power, water & sewerage, transport etc.
Table of Contents
- 1.1. BACKGROUND
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1. SUMMARY
- 2.2. FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. STERLING
- 3.6. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.7. HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. THE MARKET
- 4.1. MARKET DEFINITION & STRUCTURE
- 4.2. MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 4.3. KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1. Construction Output
- 4.3.2. Demand for Electricity
- 4.3.3. Imports and Pricing
- 4.3.4. Legislation and Standards
5. ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS
- 5.1. CHARACTERISTICS & TRENDS
- 5.2. MARKET SHARES
- 5.3. ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE COMPANIES
- 5.4. STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES AND THREATS
- 6.1. PRODUCTS MIX
- 6.2. PRODUCT SECTORS
- 6.2.1. Electrical Accessories
- 6.2.2. Lighting
- 6.2.3. Security and Fire Protection Systems
- 6.2.4. Electric Heating Products
- 6.2.5. Ventilation
- 6.2.6. Other Products
7. CUSTOMERS & END USE SECTORS
- 7.1. OVERVIEW OF ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' CUSTOMERS
- 7.2. ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS
- 7.3. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT COMPANIES
- 7.4. LARGE END-USER SECTORS
- 7.4.1. Power & Electricity Distribution
- 7.4.2. Water and Sewerage
- 7.4.3. Oil, Gas and Marine
- 7.4.4. Transport
- 7.5. PANEL BUILDERS/OEMS
- 7.6. IN-HOUSE ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS
- 7.7. OTHER SECTORS
LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- CHART 1: UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET 2009-2019 BY VALUE (£M WSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2012-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS
- TABLE 7: THE ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET BY VALUE 2009-2019 (£M WSP)
- CHART 8: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2010-2019
- CHART 9: HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2010 TO 2019 - UNITED KINGDOM (‘000)
- CHART 10: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION BY END-USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2014 (EDUCATION, HEALTH ETC)
- TABLE 11: CONSUMPTION OF ELECTRICITY IN THE UK 2009-2013 (‘000 TOE)
- CHART 12: ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION BY END USER - INDUSTRY, DOMESTIC ETC 2013
- TABLE 13: IMPORTS OF SELECTED ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS FOR CONSTRUCTION USE 2009-2014 BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 14: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' % PBT ON TURNOVER 2009-2014
- CHART 15: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE % MIX - NATIONALS VERSUS LOCALS & REGIONALS - BY VALUE 2008-2014
- TABLE 16: OVERVIEW LEADING COMPANIES BRANCHES & TURNOVERS
- CHART 17: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET SHARES 2014 BY VALUE % (REXEL, EDMUNDSON, CEF ETC)
- TABLE 18: KEY INDICATORS UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET - EDMUNDSON ELECTRICAL
- TABLE 19: KEY INDICATORS UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET - REXEL
- TABLE 20: KEY INDICATORS UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET - CEF
- TABLE 21: SWOT ANALYSIS OF THE ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET
- TABLE 22: MIX OF CORE PRODUCT SALES THROUGH ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS (CABLES, WIRING ACCESSORIES, CIRCUIT PROTECTION, LIGHTING, HEATING, SECURITY, VENTILATION ETC) 2014 (£M WSP)
- TABLE 23: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' SHARE BY CORE PRODUCT MARKETS (CABLES, WIRING ACCESSORIES, CIRCUIT PROTECTION, LIGHTING, HEATING, SECURITY, VENTILATION ETC) 2014 (£M WSP)
- CHART 24: ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2014 - WIRING ACCESSORIES, CIRCUIT PROTECTION, CABLES % BY VALUE
- CHART 25: UK LIGHTING MARKET PRODUCT MIX (LAMPS, LUMINAIRES AND CONTROLS) 2014 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 26: PRODUCT MIX OF SECURITY & FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS (%) BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 27: ELECTRIC HEATING PRODUCT MIX 2014 - % BY VALUE (SPACE HEATING, CONTROLS, CENTRAL, WATER)
- CHART 28: OVERALL MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (NON-DOMESTIC, DOMESTIC) BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 29: PRODUCT MIX OF BUILT-IN APPLIANCES (%) BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 30: SALES BY CUSTOMER TYPE BY VALUE 2014 (%) (CONTRACTORS, FM, PANEL BUILDERS, IN HOUSE ENGINEERS ETC)
- TABLE 31: ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS REGISTERED FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND 2009 & 2014
- TABLE 32: TOP ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS IN THE UK - BY ESTIMATED TURNOVER FROM ELECTRICAL WORK 2012/13
- CHART 33: FUEL INPUT FOR ELECTRICITY GENERATION BY MILLION TOE 1993, 2003 & 2013
- TABLE 34: UK RENEWABLE ELECTRICITY GENERATION (GWH) - BY TECHNOLOGY (ON/OFFSHORE, PV, HYDRO, BIOENERGY, NON-BIODEGRADABLE WASTES) 2008 - 13
- CHART 35: WATER & SEWERAGE SECTOR CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2008 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 36: GAS, COMMUNICATIONS & AIR SECTOR CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2008 TO 2014- BY VALUE (£ BN)
- CHART 37: DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT CAPITAL BUDGET 2008-2015 (£BN)
- TABLE 38: DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT CAPITAL BUDGET BY MAJOR PROGRAMME AREA (ROADS, RAIL, OTHER) 2010-2015 (£BN)
- TABLE 39: NET CAPITAL EXPENDITURE - CONSTRUCTION OF RAILWAYS & UNDERGROUND RAILWAYS 2008-2013
- TABLE 40: NET CAPITAL EXPENDITURE - CONSTRUCTION OF PASSENGER & FREIGHT AIR TRANSPORT 2008-2013
- CHART 41: NUMBER OF UK MANUFACTURERS OF ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION & CONTROL APPARATUS BY TURNOVER (£'000) 2014
- TABLE 42: MAJOR SOURCES OF COMPONENT SUPPLY FOR PANEL BUILDERS 2013