Product Code: bld21
AMA Research have published the 9th edition of the 'Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, the report represents and up-to-date and informed review of all sectors within the commercial glazing market.
Key issues covered:
- UK commercial glazing market - market size & trends, key market influences, forecasts to 2019.
- Analysis by product sector - commerical windows, curtain walling, ground floor treatments and roof glazing - product mix, size, trends and influences by sector.
- Market structure - review of supply and distribution structure, breakdown of market sectors with major players and company profiles.
- End use application areas - mix by end-use sectors, analysis of key end user markets and identification of growth opportunities.
Key areas of insight include:
- Overview of commercial glazing market by installed value.
- Product mix review - commercial windows, curtain walling, ground floor treatments, roof glazing - market size, trends and forecasts.
- Complex supply structure in commercial glazing market.
- Forecasts for 2015 - 2019 and review of market drivers.
Some of the companies included:
Aluk GB, Alumet Systems, Assa Abloy Entrance Systems, AWS Group, Boon Edam UK, Brett Martin Daylight Systems, Charles Henshaw & Sons, Comar Architectural Aluminium Systems, Crittall Windows, Dane Architectural Systems, Dorma UK, Dortech Architectural Systems, Dudley's Architectural Aluminium (DAA), Duplus Architectural Systems, English Architectural Glazing, Eurocell Profiles UK, Far East Façade UK, Federated Windows and Doors, Felix, Focchi, Geze UK, GIG Facades, Gilgen Door Systems UK, Glidevale, Guardian Industries UK, Hambleside Danelaw, Hansen Group, HW Architectural (HWA), Hydro Building Systems, Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies, Josef Gartner and Co UK, Kawneer UK, Lakesmere, Latium Group, LB Plastics, Lindner Facades, M Price, Mero-Schmidlin (UK), Metal Technology, Metallbau Früh UK, Norking Aluminium, Oskomera Facades UK, Permasteelisa UK, Pilkington Architectural, Pilkington Building Products, Prater, Red Architectural, Reynaers Ltd, Saint-Gobain Glass, Saint-Gobain Solaglas Architectural, Sapa Building Systems, Scheldebouw UK, Schneider GB, Schüco International, Seele UK, Senior Architectural Systems Plc (SAS), Smart Systems and Smart Architectural Aluminium, Solaglass Contracting, Stoakes Systems, Structal UK, Ubbink (UK), VEKA UK Group, Waagner Biro, Xtralite, Yuanda UK.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Market size by installed value - market development from 2009-2019.
- Recent market developments 2010 - 2014 and key influences e.g. construction activity levels, high-rise buildings, regulations, material price trends, design specifications.
- Forecasts 2015 - 2019 and key market factors influencing growth prospects - construction activity levels, regulations, material prices etc.
END USE SECTORS
- Identification of key end-use markets & estimates of market mix in 2014: education, commercial offices, retail, healthcare, high-rise residential, leisure, transport.
- Education - assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. BSF & Primary Capital Programme, trends in funding; identification of major long-term university construction programmes/student accommodation etc etc.
- Offices - recent trends in development and assessment of future demand; focus primarily on Central London plus major provincial cities and business park sector.
- Retail - assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. High Street shopfront replacement, grocery multiple newbuild, retail warehouses and shopping malls etc.
- High-rise residential - analysis of trends towards high-rise accommodation, etc.
- Other markets - healthcare, hotels, transport, Defence Estates etc.
- Commercial windows - market size, key trends, product mix, materials used, forecasts.
- Ground floor treatments - market size, key trends, usage, forecasts.
- Curtain walling - including structural glazing - market size, key trends, materials used, project types, forecasts.
- Roof glazing - market size, key trends, forecasts.
SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- Analysis of aluminium, PVC-U & steel supply sectors - major suppliers, market positioning etc.
- Further consolidation in key sectors of the supply chain: systems companies, UK fabricators/installers and European vertically integrated contractors.
- Review of aluminium systems sector with profiles - key players, market shares, market positioning etc.
- Review of contracting sector with profiles on key players - market positioning.
- Review of major bespoke façade contractors including major projects undertaken and profiles on major operators.
- Review of supply sectors for steel windows, manufactured rooflights, structural glazing & automated door systems.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The commercial glazing market saw a modest increase in 2013, and significant growth in 2014 appears to have been sustained and improved upon in 2015 with prospects for growth in the market over the next 4-5 years looking positive. Following a period of decline between 2008 and 2011, the market began to stabilise from 2011 onwards, due to improving conditions in the Central London office construction sector, education and leisure construction sectors. Growth in 2014-2015 has been mainly stimulated by increasing demand in the office construction sector and in H2 2015, there are signs of growing demand for new Grade A office space in London and certain other cities - e.g. Leeds and Birmingham - which is likely to stimulate growth for commercial windows and curtain wall from 2016 onwards.
The education sector is also likely to see growing demand with the introduction of the Priority Schools Building Programme (PSBP) in England as the replacement for BSF, which should deliver £2.5bn worth of new schools to complete in 2017. The University Technical Colleges programme is also likely to boost output growth into the medium-term, with similar programmes underway in Scotland and Wales. However, other end use markets are currently less optimistic. In healthcare, the shift from building large hospitals towards primary care facilities has meant less demand for curtain wall, roof glazing and windows. The decline in High Street retailing - as well as in retail parks and out-of town developments - will probably continue, as online shopping continues to penetrate the market. In addition, the grocery multiple sector is experiencing a major cutback in store development programmes.
In terms of product sectors, our estimates indicate that the largest segment by value is commercial windows, followed by Curtain wall and ground floor treatments. Roof glazing accounts for the smallest share at less than 10%. Aluminium is the dominant frame material in the commercial glazing market, but timber, PVCu, steel and composites all have reasonable shares and sector strengths.
Among the systems companies, the market has remained fragmented with no truly dominant suppliers. In the aluminium systems supply sector, there appears to be a decreasing level of market concentration with the 10 largest accounting for ~90% of this market. However, the reduced level of activity in the commercial glazing market in 2012-2013 led to a significant contraction among fabricators and installers with several players ceasing trading. The bespoke façade and roof glazing sector is dominated by European contractors although their sales have been somewhat diminished by contracts ending on major developments. In other product sectors there has been relatively little change other than some smaller companies going out of business.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 THE MARKET
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND RECENT TRENDS
- 4.3 MARKET PROSPECTS
- 4.3.1 Major High Rise and / or Large Span Developments
- 4.3.2 Material Price Trends
- 4.3.3 Regulatory and Legislative Influences
5 END USE SECTORS
- 5.1 OVERVIEW
- 5.2 EDUCATION
- 5.2.1 Sector Overview
- 5.3 COMMERCIAL OFFICES
- 5.3.1 Sector Overview
- 5.4 RETAIL
- 5.5 HIGH RISE APARTMENT BLOCKS
- 5.6 HEALTHCARE
- 5.7 LEISURE
- 5.8 TRANSPORT
6 PRODUCT SECTORS
- 6.1 COMMERCIAL WINDOWS
- 6.1.1 Definition
- 6.1.2 Market Overview
- 6.2 GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS
- 6.2.1 Definition
- 6.2.2 Market Overview
- 6.3 CURTAIN WALL (INCLUDING STRUCTURAL GLAZING)
- 6.3.1 Definition
- 6.3.2 Market Overview
- 6.4 ROOF GLAZING
- 6.4.1 Definition
- 6.4.2 Market Overview
7 SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- 7.1 ALUMINIUM FRAMED GLAZING SYSTEMS
- 7.1.1 Aluminium Systems Companies
- 7.1.2 Aluminium Systems Fabricators
- 7.2 PVC-U SYSTEMS
- 7.3 STRUCTURAL GLAZING
- 7.4 STEEL GLAZING SYSTEMS
- 7.5 BESPOKE/OWN-DESIGN
- 7.5.1 UK Companies
- 7.5.2 European & Other Foreign Contractors
- 7.6 ROOFLIGHT MANUFACTURERS
- 7.7 AUTOMATED DOOR SYSTEMS
- 7.8 ARCHITECTURAL GLASS MANUFACTURERS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK COMMERCIAL GLAZING MARKET AND FORECASTS (£ BILLION AT INSTALLED PRICES) 2009 -2019
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2007 - 2014
- TABLE 7 UK MARKET FORECASTS FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2015 - 2019
- TABLE 8 PRICE INDICES OF DOOR & WINDOW MATERIALS 2009 - H1 2015 2010=100
- CHART 9 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING BY END USE SECTOR
- TABLE 10 UK EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER
- CHART 11 ESTIMATED NUMBER OF NEW STUDENT BED SPACES BUILT PER YEAR - 2007-2017
- CHART 12 EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT AND FORECASTS (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 - 2019
- CHART 13 CENTRAL LONDON OFFICE MARKET - OFFICE TAKE UP BY PRINCIPAL AREA, Q2 2009 - Q2 2015 (MILLION SQ. FT)
- CHART 14 UK BUSINESS PARKS - AVERAGE TAKE-UP RATES (MILLION FT) 2007-2014
- CHART 15 CONTRACTORS OUTPUT & FORECASTS IN THE COMMERCIAL OFFICE SECTOR BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 -2019
- CHART 16 CONTRACTORS OUTPUT & FORECASTS IN THE RETAIL SECTOR BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 -2019
- CHART 17 NUMBER OF FLATS BUILT IN ENGLAND 2003/04 -2014/15
- CHART 18 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2001-2014
- CHART 19 HEALTH CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 - 2019
- TABLE 20 HEALTHCARE PROJECTS - FORWARD CONSTRUCTION PIPELINE 2013-2021 - SCHEME TYPES, CAPITAL VALUES, STATUS, START/COMPLETION DATES ETC.
- CHART 21 UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - NUMBER OF ESTABLISHMENTS BY SECTOR GAMING, FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC
- CHART 22 LEISURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 - 2019
- CHART 23 FORECAST GROWTH FOR BUDGET HOTEL SECTOR BY NO. ROOMS 2011 - 2020
- CHART 24 NETWORK RAIL INVESTMENT IN NEW AND REFURBISHED BUILDINGS UNDER CP4 (2009 /10 TO 2013/14) & CP5 (2014/15 TO 2018 /19)
- CHART 25 INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GROWTH AND FORECASTS BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 - 2019
- TABLE 26 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY PRODUCT BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) 2014
- TABLE 27 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2019
- CHART 28 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL BY INSTALLED VALUE 2014
- TABLE 29 UK MARKET FOR GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 -2019
- TABLE 30 UK MARKET FOR CURTAIN WALL BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2019
- CHART 31 UK CURTAIN WALL MARKET BY CONTRACT SIZE BY % OF INSTALLED VALUE
- TABLE 32 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL ROOF GLAZING BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2019
- CHART 33 COMMERCIAL GLAZING CONTRACTOR SELECTION PROCESS
- CHART 34 ALUMINIUM GLAZING SYSTEMS - ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES
- TABLE 35 PRINCIPAL EUROPEAN & OTHER FOREIGN BESPOKE COMMERCIAL GLAZING CONTRACTORS IN THE UK