Product Code: Bld94
AMA Research have published the 3rd edition of the report ' Tool Distribution Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis '. This report provides an informed and up to date review of this complex and gragmented market, and includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts of sector developments up to 2019. The report covers hand and power portable tools used in the building, DIY and construction industries, as well as domestic garden tools, but excludes sectors such as automotive and industrial tools.
Key areas covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market structure and recent developments in the market.
- Forecasts for market developments to 2019.
- Key distribution channels - including DIY multiples, industrial product distributors, tool specialists, builders merchants and 'others' including electrical wholesalers, garden centres and online/mail order companies.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix and distribution.
- Product groups reviewed: driving, drilling & breaking tools, cutting & grinding tools, carpentry & woodworking tools and garden tools .
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of tools market - overall market size, performance up to 2014.
- Factors affecting the market - analysis of key market characteristics.
- Identification of key channels - DIY Multiples, Industrial Products Distributors, Tool Specialists, Builders Merchants, 'others' - review of channel shares, fragmentation, trends etc.
- Review of key players in 'tool distribution' market - strength of Kingfisher, Travis Perkins group operations.
- Key product groups - power, hand, garden tools - market size, trends in power and hand tools.
- Market performance in 2014/15 and forecasts through to 2019 .
Some of the companies included:
Argos, Asda, Axminster Power Tool Centre, B&Q, Birchwood Tools, Blue Diamond UK, Brammer UK, Buck and Hickman, City Electrical Factors, Cromwell Tools, CTS Ironmongery, Cut Price Wholesaler, D&M Tools, Dobbies Garden Centres, Draper Tools, Edmundson Electrical, Eriks Industrial Services, Freeman Grattan Holdings, Frosts Garden Centre, Goodwins Direct, Grafton Group, Harrison & Clough, Haskins Garden Centres, Hillier Garden Centres, Homebase, ITS, J D Williams & Company, Klondyke Garden Centres, Lidl, Longacres Garden Centre, Machine Mart, Mica, Monks and Crane Industrial Group, My Tools Shed, Northern Power Tools, Northern Tool and Equipment Co. (UK), Notcutts, Rexel Group, Robert Dyas, RS Components, Sainsbury's, Saint-Gobain Building Products Distribution, Screwfix Direct, Shop Direct, SIG Fixings, SIG, Specialist Group, Tesco, The Garden Centre Group, The Power Tool Centre, The Site Box, THS Tools, Tilgear, Tool Shop Direct, Toolbank, Tool-Net, Tools4trade, Toolstation, Toolstop, Toolstream, Travis Perkins, Troy (UK), UK Tool Centre, Wickes, Wilkinson Hardware Store, Wolseley.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Tool market definition - hand and power portable tools used in the building, DIY/garden and construction industries, but excludes sectors such as automotive and industrial tools.
- Tool distribution market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2009-2014, with forecasts to 2019.
- Market structure - suppliers, distributors, buying groups, contractors and end-users. Market complexity and fragmentation.
- Market recovery and growth as UK economy and construction levels improve.
- Market trends and factors influencing market development - legislation, construction trends, housebuilding & RMI forecasts up to 2017, changing consumer buying habits etc.
KEY PLAYERS IN TOOL DISTRIBUTION
- Market shares of key distribution channels - Key channels, shares, product mix, recent trends & changes in distribution. Overview of key groups (Kingfisher, Travis Perkins, Home Retail etc.) operating in several channels.
- DIY Multiples - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players - B&Q, Homebase, Wickes etc.
- Industrial/Consumable Products Distributors - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players profiles etc - Screwfix, Machine Mart, Cromwell, Brammer, Eriks, etc.
- Tool Specialists - overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players - Toolstation, Toolbank, Axminster Power Tool Centre etc.
- Builders & Plumbers Merchants - sector overview, market positioning, product/customer strengths, relative importance of tools, key players' profiles.
- Internet/Catalogue/Mail Order - key players, growing impact, buying patterns etc.
- Other channels - including garden centres, independent hardware/ DIY stores, electrical wholesalers, specialist distributors.
- Overview of supply structure - evolving market being influenced by consumer shopping behavior. Product groups reviewed: driving, drilling & breaking tools, cutting & grinding tools, carpentry & woodworking tools, and garden tools - product sector value mix and recent trends.
- Market shares of professional & DIY tools, power & hand tools and cordless & corded power tools. Overview of trends, changes and future prospects , market maturity.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2009-2014 for each product sector and trends in power and hand tools.
- Leading manufacturers - building and gardening tools. Overview of key players.
- Forecast of market development - short term prospects in 2015 and medium term prospects up to 2019.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housebuilding & non-domestic construction (including private and public sector performance), consumer confidence & spending, product development.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The tool distribution market is mature and has, in general, experienced moderate growth rates, though the economic and construction downturn negatively impacted on the market resulting in a significant decline during 2008-09. The market improved in 2013 due to a return to growth in general construction, housebuilding and RMI work, and in 2014 it is estimated that the tool distribution market grew by 8% as a result of the improving economy which led to higher levels of construction and RMI activity.
Power tools account for an estimated 50-55% share of the market and hand tools for around 45-50% share. Hand tools is a mature, steady sector with little significant step change in product development. In contrast, power tools has significantly benefited from new products and product innovation (such as lithium-ion battery and brushless motor power tools) that help to drive sales. Performance in the garden tools sector is heavily influenced by the weather in any given year.
Tool distribution comprises a mix of large national players competing with many regional and local companies, in both trade and consumer channels. Several major groups hold significant shares in the tools market including Kingfisher (Screwfix and B&Q) and Travis Perkins (Wickes, Toolstation and Birchwood Price Tools), which account for around a quarter of the tools market. The product range carried by distributors is large and varies substantially depending on the commitment to tools in their respective portfolios and the structure of their primary customer base.
Prospects for the overall market are positive as both domestic and non-domestic construction levels are forecast to increase, improving consumer confidence is likely to see larger DIY projects undertaken. There will be a continued expansion of cordless product ranges and brushless motors products, and other product developments that will stimulate market growth include tools that are more ergonomically designed for employee welfare as well as increasing lifetime and efficiency. However, market growth may be restricted by the fact that hand tools are limited by their inherently simple design that allows for only modest improvements and pricing increases, and their durability which restricts replacement sales. Developments in power tools are also increasing product life and, thereby lengthening replacement frequencies. It is estimated that the tools distribution market will continue to grow at a more sustainable rate of 3-4% until 2019.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET
- 4.2.1 Background
- 4.2.2 Recent performance - 2009 to 2014
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects - 2015 - 2019
- 4.3 MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 Construction Output and RMI Work
- 4.3.2 The Housing Market
- 4.3.3 Employment in Construction
- 5.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 5.1.1 Distribution Market Shares
- 5.2 DIY MULTIPLES
- 5.2.1 Market Size
- 5.2.2 Products
- 5.2.3 Market Structure
- 5.2.4 DIY Multiples
- 5.3 INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTORS
- 5.3.1 Market Size
- 5.3.2 Products
- 5.3.3 Market Structure
- 5.3.4 Industrial Products Distributor Companies
- 5.4 BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS MERCHANTS
- 5.4.1 Market Size
- 5.4.2 Products
- 5.4.3 Market Structure
- 5.4.4 Merchant Companies
- 5.5 TOOL SPECIALISTS
- 5.6 OTHER CHANNELS
- 5.6.1 Internet, Mail Order and Catalogue
- 5.6.2 Garden Centres
- 5.6.3 Independent Hardware & DIY Stores
- 5.6.4 Electrical Wholesalers
- 5.6.5 Grocery Multiples
- 5.6.6 Tool & Plant Hire and Servicing
- 5.6.7 Direct Supply and Other Distributors
- 5.7 BUYING GROUPS, DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS
- 5.7.1 Buying Groups
- 5.7.2 Distributors and Wholesalers
- 5.7.3 SIG plc
6 PRODUCT REVIEW
- 6.1 OVERVIEW
- 6.1.1 Product Mix
- 6.1.2 Mix of Professional and DIY Tools
- 6.1.3 Mix of Power and Hand Tools
- 6.1.4 Cordless Power Tools
- 6.2 DRILLING, DRIVING AND BREAKING
- 6.2.1 Definition
- 6.2.2 Market Size
- 6.2.3 Product Mix
- 6.3 CUTTING AND GRINDING
- 6.3.1 Definition
- 6.3.2 Market Size
- 6.3.3 Product Mix
- 6.4 CARPENTRY AND WOODWORKING
- 6.4.1 Definition
- 6.4.2 Market Size
- 6.4.3 Product Mix
- 6.5 OTHER BUILDING TOOLS
- 6.6 GARDENING TOOLS
- 6.6.1 Definition
- 6.6.2 Market Size
- 6.6.3 Product Mix
7 KEY MANUFACTURERS
- 7.1 BUILDING TOOLS
- 7.2 GARDENING TOOLS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- TABLE 1 UK TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£M DSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6 UK TOOL DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2009-2019 BY VALUE (£M AT DSP)
- CHART 7 GROWTH FORECASTS OF KEY CONSTRUCTION SECTORS, 2014-2019
- TABLE 8 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR 2009 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 9 VALUE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI SECTORS) 2013 - 2019 BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 10 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2009 - 2019 - UNITED KINGDOM ('000)
- TABLE 11 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 2009-2015 ('000S)
- CHART 12 HOUSING RMI OUTPUT FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 (£M)
- CHART 13 UK TIMBER FRAME COMPLETIONS ('000 DWELLINGS) 2004 - 2014 BY VOLUME
- TABLE 14 EMPLOYMENT IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY 1984 - 2014
- CHART 15 TOOL DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - KEY CHANNELS/ROUTES TO MARKET
- TABLE 16 DISTRIBUTION OF TOOLS BY CHANNEL - DIY MULTIPLES, INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS, INTERNET/CATALOGUE, TOOL SPECIALISTS, BUILDERS MERCHANTS, OTHERS - % SHARE 2014
- TABLE 17 UK DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 - BY VALUE (RSP)
- CHART 18 DIY MULTIPLES SALES BY PRODUCT SECTOR - % SHARE 2014
- TABLE 19 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY THE LEADING DIY MULTIPLES
- TABLE 20 DIY MULTIPLES - MARKET SHARES 2014
- TABLE 21 UK INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTORS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008 - 2018 - BY VALUE (£M AT DISTRIBUTORS SELLING PRICES)
- TABLE 22 PRODUCT MIX OF THE UK INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTION MARKET - 2014
- TABLE 23 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY LEADING INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS (SCREWFIX, BRAMMER, CROMWELL TOOLS ETC)
- TABLE 24 SCREWFIX'S PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR (POWER TOOLS, HAND TOOLS, GARDENING, ABRASIVES ETC) - 2014
- TABLE 25 UK BUILDERS & PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES)
- CHART 26 BUILDERS AND PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2014
- TABLE 27 POWER TOOL BRANDS OFFERED BY LEADING DISTRIBUTORS
- TABLE 28 MERCHANTS MARKET SHARE 2014
- CHART 29 GB HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2009 - 2014
- CHART 30 UK GARDEN CENTRE MARKET - 2009-2014 (£M RSP)
- CHART 31 GARDEN CENTRES PRODUCT MIX, 2014 - BY VALUE
- CHART 32 PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2014 - DRIVING/DRILLING/BREAKING; CUTTING/GRINDING; CARPENTRY/WOODWORKING; GARDEN; OTHERS ETC
- CHART 33 MIX OF PROFESSIONAL AND DIY TOOLS BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 34 MIX BY HAND AND POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 35 MIX OF CORDLESS AND CORDED PORTABLE POWER TOOL PRODUCTS BY VALUE 2014
- CHART 36 UK MARKET FOR DRILLING, DRIVING & BREAKING TOOLS 2009 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES)
- CHART 37 UK MARKET FOR CUTTING & GRINDING TOOLS 2009 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES)
- CHART 38 UK MARKET FOR CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING TOOLS 2009 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES)
- CHART 39 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN TOOLS 2009 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£M AT DISTRIBUTORS' SELLING PRICES)
- CHART 40 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GARDEN TOOLS MARKET, 2014 (% BY VALUE)