Product Code: bld59
The 7th edition of the report 'Building Insulation Products Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' has been fully updated to cover the latest developments in the market in terms of the impact of key drivers such as the performance of the UK building market as well as the impact of Government initiatives. The report includes market sizing, drivers, developments and prospects through to 2021, key products with mixes and trends, key suppliers and routes to market.
Key issues covered:
- Forecasts of market development to 2021 - assessment of Green Deal and ECO, impact on glass and mineral wool sector performance, influence of energy price changes etc.
- Detailed assessment of recent market trends - the growing housebuilding market, non-residential construction impacts etc.
- Specific and relevant information - market size, factors influencing the market, key players.
- Analysis by product group - product mix and influences in the main insulation products sectors.
- Analysis by end use sectors - key applications and end use sectors for building insulation.
Key areas of insight include:
- Changing mix of the different material types of insulation products.
- Review of key suppliers, distributors and installers.
- Assessment of market potential by end use application covering domestic RMI and retrofit, new build, non-residential building etc.
- Detailed reviews of key end use applications e.g. lofts, cavity walls, solid walls and flat roofs. Evaluation of impact of government programmes.
- Detailed market data and insight on the building insulation products market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
A & M Energy Solutions, Armacell, Carillion Energy Services, CCF, Cellecta, CIUR, Dyson Energy Services, Encon Insulation, Excel Industries, FGF, Instagroup, Jablite, Jewson, Kay-Metzeler EPS, Kingspan Group, Knauf Insulation, Lawtech, Miller Pattison, Minster Insulation,Paroc, Pittsburgh Corning UK, Promat UK, Recticel Insulation, Rockwool, Saint Gobain Construction Products, Siderise, SIG plc, Superglass Insulation, Thermal Economics, URSA UK, Vitra Cellular Foams, Web Dynamics, Xtratherm.
Market Performance - Recent Trends and Forecasts
- Overall market size & trends in 2016/17 - analysis of impact of Government programmes; assessment of recent trends in energy prices & other market drivers e.g. changes to Building Regulations etc.
- Overall market forecasts to 2021 - assessment of impacts of the building and construction market across the residential and non-residential markets. Review of other key driving factors going forward including likely impact of energy price rises, changing relationship with Europe etc.
- Potential areas for growth in future years, flat roofs in the non-residential sector, added value solutions, 'easy-to-fill' lofts etc.
Insulation Product Mixes - Glass Wool, Stone Wool etc.
- By material by value - i.e. glass wool, stone wool, urethane, polystyrene, phenolic foam etc.
- Overview of key materials - identification of key trends and supplier shares.
Application Market Mixes - Lofts, Cavity Walls, Solid Walls
- Lofts: profile of homes with lofts in GB; trends in retrofit by area installed, material mix; housebuilding market 2012-21; retrofit market potential.
- Cavity walls: profile of homes with Cavity Walls; trends in retrofit sector by area installed, material mix; housebuilding market 2012-21; retrofit market potential.
- Solid walls: profile of homes with solid walls; trends in retrofit sector by area installed, retrofit market potential.
- Flat roofs: profile of buildings with flat roofs, mixes by end-use & materials, market potential.
- Other including ground floors, intermediate floor, metal cladding - market overviews.
End User Market Mixes - Retrofit, House Building, Non-Domestic
- General overview of mix between domestic retrofit, housebuilding and non-domestic sectors.
- Review of domestic retrofit: profile of housing stock; analysis of recent trends, market mix by application; market potential for lofts, cavity & solid wall insulation.
- Review of housebuilding: profile of housebuilding stock; recent trends; market mixes.
- Review of non-domestic: recent trends and assessment of potential demand for retrofit insulation in existing commercial premises.Supply Chain & Distribution Profile.
Supply Chain & Distribution Profile
- Supplier review - market shares & trends, company profiles.
- Distributor review - channel shares, company profiles.
The building insulations market saw growth in 2016 following a reduction in market size in 2015, which was in large part due to the government scrapping the Green Deal combined with reduced funding to deliver the Energy Company Obligation (ECO). Despite this slight recovery in 2016 the building insulations products market value is set to decrease again in 2017, albeit only by a small amount. Overall, the building insulations market has suffered greatly since the ending of government initiatives CERT and CESP in 2012, and forecasts suggest it will still be several years before the market recovers to 2012 levels.
The market has seen growth in demand for insulation products from increasing levels of new housebuilding and in non-domestic building, however, the ongoing decline in retrofitted insulation continues to hamper market value. Key market influences include Building Regulations and energy prices. By end-user, the dramatic fall in demand under the Green Deal and ECO means that the most important market is no longer domestic retrofit, with the non-domestic market now having the largest share closely followed by domestic retrofit and new housebuilding.
There has also been changes to the building insulations product mix by value. PUR / PIR products now have the largest market share of insulation products. The market value of mineral fibre products, including glasswool and stone or slag wool, has reduced due to the fall in demand for such products under the Green Deal and ECO, but they still account for a large proportion of the total market in the UK and remain particularly popular in the DIY sector.
Looking forward, the market value of insulation products is likely to show modest growth over the next few years. Growth is impeded by a number of factors, the retro fitting sector seeing further reduction in demand being a significant influencer. Limitations in government funding and new schemes to will also have a negative influence, with evidence suggesting that homeowners are reluctant to implement insulation-based energy saving measures without a strong financial incentive. Additionally, new housebuilding is predicted to slow in comparison to 2016 levels. These factors mean that growth is predicted to remain at a low rate over the next few years.
Table of Contents
List of Report Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- 1.3 GLOSSARY
- 2.1 MARKET BACKGROUND
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. UK BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND RECENT TRENDS
- 4.2.1 Insulation Market Size
- 4.2.2 Insulation Market Prospects
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 EU / Government Initiatives
- 4.3.2 The Building Regulations Part L 2013
- 4.3.3 Energy Prices
- 4.3.4 Housebuilding and Construction
- 4.3.5 Non-Domestic Construction
5. PRODUCT MIX
- 5.1 OVERVIEW OF BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS
- 5.2 BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS
- 5.2.1 Glass Wool
- 5.2.2 Stone Wool
- 5.2.3 Polyurethane (PUR) / Polyisocyanurate (PIR) Foam
- 5.2.4 Expanded and Extruded Polystyrene Foam (EPS and XPS)
- 5.2.5 Other
- 5.3 PRE-FABRICATED/OFFSITE AND COMPOSITE PRODUCTS
6. MARKET MIX BY END-USE SECTORS
- 6.1 OVERVIEW
- 6.2 DOMESTIC RMI/RETROFIT
- 6.2.1 Housing Stock
- 6.2.2 Recent Market Trends
- 6.2.3 Domestic Retrofit Market Prospects for Insulation Products
- 6.3 HOUSEBUILDING
- 6.3.1 Profile of Housebuilding
- 6.3.2 Recent Market Trends
- 6.3.3 Housebuilding Market Prospects for Insulation Products
- 6.4 NON-DOMESTIC BUILDINGS
- 6.4.1 Non- Domestic Building Stock
- 6.4.2 Market Trends
- 6.4.3 Non-domestic Buildings Market Prospects for Insulation Products
- 7.1 INTRODUCTION
- 7.2 LOFTS / PITCHED ROOFS
- 7.2.1 Profile of Dwellings with Lofts
- 7.2.2 Recent Trends in Loft Insulation
- 7.2.3 Market Prospects for Loft Insulation
- 7.3 FLAT ROOFS
- 7.3.1 Profile of Buildings with Flat Roofs
- 7.3.2 Recent Trends in Flat Roof Insulation
- 7.3.3 Market Prospects for Flat Roof Insulation
- 7.4 CAVITY WALLS
- 7.4.1 Profile of Dwellings with Cavity Walls
- 7.4.2 Recent Trends in Domestic Cavity Wall Insulation
- 7.4.3 Market Prospects for Domestic Cavity Wall Insulation
- 7.5 DOMESTIC WALLS WITHOUT CAVITIES
- 7.5.1 Profile of Dwellings Without Cavity Walls
- 7.5.2 Recent Trends in Domestic Solid Wall Insulation
- 7.5.3 Market Prospects for Solid Wall Insulation
- 7.6 OTHER APPLICATIONS
- 7.6.1 Ground Floor Thermal Insulation
- 7.6.2 Acoustic Insulation
- 7.6.3 Site Built Metal Cladding and Roofing Systems
- 8.1 MANUFACTURERS & SUPPLIERS MARKET SHARES
- 8.2 PROFILES OF MAJOR INSULATION MANUFACTURERS
- 9.1 OVERVIEW
- 9.2 DISTRIBUTOR PROFILES
- 9.3 INSTALLERS
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK BUILDING INSULATION MARKET BY VALUE £M 2012-2021
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6: UK BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS MARKET BY VALUE (£ MILLION MSP) 2012 TO 2021
- CHART 7: HOUSEHOLDS WITH INSULATION MEASURES INSTALLED THROUGH ECO /GREEN DEAL, BY MONTH 2015 TO 2017
- CHART 8: UK INDICES FOR OVERALL AVERAGE ANNUAL ENERGY PRICES FOR INDUSTRY (EXCLUDING CLIMATE CHANGE LEVY) AND AVERAGE ANNUAL INSULATION PRODUCT PRICES (2010 = 100) 2010 TO
- TABLE 9: TOTAL INSULATION MEASURES DELIVERED UNDER GREEN DEAL AND ECO - UP TO MARCH 2017
- TABLE 10: BUILDING REGULATION AMENDMENTS IMPACTING ON THE BUILDING INSULATION MARKET
- TABLE 11: BUILDING REGULATIONS PART L 2013 NOTIONAL BUILDING SPECIFICATION VS LIMITING U-VALUES BY INSULATION APPLICATION
- CHART 12: UK FUEL PRICE INDICES FOR THE INDUSTRIAL SECTOR IN CURRENT TERMS (EXCLUDING THE CLIMATE CHANGE LEVY) 2010 = 100,
- TABLE 13: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME
- CHART 14: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2012 -2021
- CHART 15: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2016 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB
- CHART 16: MIX OF BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS BY MATERIAL % BY VALUE - POLYSTYRENE, PHENOLIC, MINERAL, PUR ETC, 2016
- CHART 17: UK SUPPLIERS OF GLASS WOOL ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES, 2016
- CHART 18: UK SUPPLIERS OF PUR / PIR BOARDS ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES, 2016
- TABLE 19: MAIN PRE-FABRICATED BUILDING PRODUCTS INCORPORATING INSULATION
- CHART 20: UK MARKET SHARE - INSULATION PRODUCTS BY VOLUME BY END USE SECTOR, 2016
- CHART 21: GB DWELLING STOCK BY AGE BAND (%)
- CHART 22: GB DWELLING STOCK BY TYPE OF PROPERTY (% OF DWELLINGS)
- CHART 23: TOTAL NUMBERS OF INSULATION MEASURES DELIVERED UNDER GREEN DEAL AND ECO BY TYPE (LOFTS, SOLID WALLS, ETC). TOTAL 1,374K INSTALLATIONS
- CHART 24: UK GB RETROFIT INSULATION MARKET BY APPLICATION BY AREA INSTALLED 2016. INSTALLED VOLUME = ~18 MILLION M2
- TABLE 25: GB POTENTIAL FOR INSULATION MEASURES IN EXISTING PROPERTIES AS OF DECEMBER 2016
- CHART 26: UK NEW HOUSEBUILDING MARKET FOR INSULATION BY AREA INSTALLED BY APPLICATION - GROUND, LOFTS, EXTERNAL, INTERMEDIATE.
- TABLE 27: GB RETROFIT MARKET FOR LOFT INSULATION PRODUCTS 2011 - 2016
- CHART 28: UK RETROFIT LOFT MARKET FOR INSULATION BY TYPE OF MEASURES BY AREA INSTALLED 2016 - POPULATION ~9 MILLION M2
- CHART 29: UK RETROFIT LOFT MARKET FOR INSULATION BY MATERIAL BY VOLUME 2016 - POPULATION ~9 MILLION M2
- TABLE 30: GB HOUSEBUILDING MARKET FOR LOFT INSULATION PRODUCTS 2011 TO 2016
- TABLE 31: SUMMARY OF LOFT INSULATION LEVELS IN GB AT DECEMBER 2016
- TABLE 32: STOCK OF FLATS IN UK, ENGLAND AND SCOTLAND 2015/16 - TOTAL, PRIVATELY OWNED AND SOCIAL HOUSING
- CHART 33: UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR INSULATION BY PRODUCT TYPE (PIR, STONEWOOL, XPS ETC) BY AREA INSTALLED, 2016
- CHART 34: DWELLINGS IN GB WITH CAVITY WALLS % DECEMBER 2016 - 19.2 MILLION DWELLINGS WITH CAVITY WALLS
- TABLE 35: GB RETROFIT MARKET FOR CAVITY INSULATION PRODUCTS, 2011 - 2016
- CHART 36: UK RETROFIT CAVITY WALL INSULATION MARKET BY MATERIAL BY VOLUME, 2016
- TABLE 37: GB HOUSEBUILDING MARKET FOR CAVITY WALL INSULATION PRODUCTS BY AREA INSTALLED, 2011 TO 2016
- TABLE 38: SUMMARY OF CAVITY WALL INSULATION LEVELS IN GB AT DECEMBER 2016, INSULATED, UNCERTAIN, EASY TO TREAT ETC.
- CHART 39: % GB DWELLINGS WITH AND WITHOUT CAVITY WALL INSULATION AS AT DECEMBER 2016 - CIRCA 8.5 MILLION DWELLINGS WITHOUT CAVITY WALLS
- CHART 40: 8.5M DWELLINGS IN GB WITHOUT CAVITY WALLS - % BY TYPE OF WALL CONSTRUCTION, SOLID DETACHED, SOLID SEMI, SOLID TERRACED, LATH / PLASTER ETC
- CHART 41: GB 8.5M DWELLINGS WITHOUT CAVITY WALLS BY DATE RANGE BY %
- TABLE 42: ENGLAND - PROPORTIONS OF SOLID WALLED DWELLINGS VS CAVITY WALLED DWELLINGS BY BROAD LOCATION
- TABLE 43: GB RETROFIT (GREEN DEAL & ECOSP) MARKET FOR SOLID WALL INSULATION 2011 - 2016
- TABLE 44: UK TOTAL MARKET SHARES BY VALUE
- CHART 45: MAJOR DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS
- CHART 46: BUILDING INSULATION PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION - ESTIMATED % SHARES BY VALUE