Product Code: Hte2
The 13th edition of the 'Domestic Central Heating Market Report - Focus on Smart Heating Controls - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' provides a comprehensive and up to date review of the central heting market. The UK domestic heating market has benefited from a number of Government initiatives in recent years, along with growth in the new housing sector. Other key trends include the wider use of smart heating controls and an increased focus on energy efficiency. The report reviews developments within the industry, with emphasis on both qualitative and quantitative market assessment - both essential requirements to good marketing planning. Recent trends, key influencing factors and future developments are assessed.
Product sectors covered:
- Smart heating controls - smart thermostats, learning thermostats, advanced zoned systems.
- Conventional heating controls - programmable thermostats, wireless, TRVs, compensators etc.
- Boilers - combination, traditional, system etc.
- Radiators - standard panel, decorative, towel warmers etc.
- Circulator pumps - stand-alone, boiler-integrated.
Key areas of insight include:
- Trend towards smart heating controls - these devices enable the remote and flexible control of whole house heating over the internet.
- Widespread roll out of smart metering and the increased consumer focus on energy efficient central heating products..
- Significant market opportunities in the replacement sector - around 40% of UK households with central heating have an inefficient non-condensing boiler.
- Impact of increasing legislation regarding the efficiency and environmental impact of domestic heating systems - ErP 2015 (boilers and circulators), part L, simplified energy efficiency regulations etc.
- Impact of new build trends - shift towards flats, increasing use of renewable technologies, product developments to meet legislative requirements etc.
Some of the companies included:
ACV UK, Alpha Therm, Ariston Thermo Group, Armstrong Integrated, Baxi Heating UK, Biasi UK, Bosch Thermotechnology Ltd, British Gas, Broag UK, Calpeda UK, Climote, DAB Pumps, Danfoss, Devolo UK, Drayton, Google, Green Energy Options (GEO), ELCO Heating Solutions, Ferroli UK, Grant Engineering UK, Grundfos, Heat Genius, Heatmiser, Honeywell UK Heating, Controls, Ideal Stelrad Group, Inspire Home Automation, Johnson and Starley, Kudox, Lowara, Momit, Myson, Netatmo, OWL Salus Controls UK, PassivSystems, Pegler Yorkshire, QRL Radiator Group, Ravenheat, Salus Controls UK, Secure Controls UK, Siemens Building Technologies, Smedegaard Pumps, Sunvic Controls, Tado, TFC Group, Timeguard, Vaillant Group UK, Viessmann, Vokera, Wilo UK, Zehnder.
- Market development of central heating installations 2011-2016. Market prospects to 2020 and key influencing factors - the Internet of things, underfloor heating market, insulation trends, environmental legislation, building regulations etc.
- Product mix - smart controls, conventional controls, boilers, radiators, pumps.
- Ownership levels, penetration by sector, share by type of application. Source of fuel - mains gas, LPG, oil, solid fuel, and electric.
- Renewable energy technologies - domestic RHI scheme, feed-in-tariffs.
SMART HEATING CONTROLS
- Smart heating controls market size, trends and forecasts to 2020.
- Benefits of smart controls - development of smart homes, mobile internet access trends, role of big 6 energy providers.
- Product mix - smart thermostats, learning thermostats, advanced zoned systems, key features.
- Key product trends - 'intuitive' learning controls, multi-zonal control, connected TRVs, voice-activated controls etc.
- Major suppliers - market shares, strengths and key characteristics.
CONVENTIONAL HEATING CONTROLS
- Conventional heating controls market size, trends and forecasts to 2020 - market opportunities, impact of legislation etc.
- Product mix - programmers, thermostats, TRVs, motorized valves, compensators etc.
- Key product trends - wireless technology, development of compensators etc.
- Major suppliers - market shares, strengths and key characteristics.
BOILERS, RADIATORS & CIRCULATOR PUMPS
- Market size, trends and future prospects to 2020.
- Product mix - Boiler - combination, system, traditional. Radiator - standard, decorative, towel warmer. Circulator - stand-alone, boiler-integrated.
- Major suppliers - market shares, turnovers, strengths, key characteristics etc.
- Market mix by channel - merchants, DIY multiples, electrical wholesalers, online retailers, other retail, direct from manufacturer or via Big 6 energy provider, OEMs etc.
- Key companies, shares, strengths and characteristics etc.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The UK domestic central heating market is substantial, with an estimated total value of around £1.1bn at manufacturers' prices in 2015. While the market is mature with central heating installed in around 92% of UK homes, growth potential still exists, particularly through smart heating innovation, used to improve energy efficiency and control. The UK market for central heating saw a notable increase in 2013, with demand in 2014 also reasonably positive, though performance has been much more subdued in 2015/16, reflecting the withdrawal of the ECO scheme and the Green Deal affecting boiler sales in particular. However, the market has benefitted from the introduction of smart heating controls in the past 2-3 years, and demand from the new housebuilding sector has continued to increase.
The UK domestic central heating market has benefited in recent years from increasing health, safety and energy efficiency legislation, revised Building Regulations and environmental legislation. This has stimulated product innovation and development in all sectors of the market. The widespread introduction of smart heating controls has also supported demand, with all of the Big 6 energy companies having added a smart thermostat to their home energy management portfolio. UK householders are becoming much more environmentally aware and are looking towards smart heating solutions in order to minimise energy usage and to save money. Factors which have limited opportunities for growth include the continuing trend towards greater levels of property insulation, driven by further 2014 revisions to Part L of the Building Regulations, which have tended to reduce the overall heating load.
The future performance of the UK domestic heating market is likely to be influenced by overall trends in housebuilding, home improvement, fuel prices, energy efficiency legislation, renewable technologies, and technological developments. With the evolving trend towards smart IoT devices in the home, the development of smart heating controls will have a significant impact on the overall domestic central heating market. There also continues to be significant opportunities to upgrade existing boilers to the more fuel-efficient condensing models. Around 40% of all boilers installed in the UK are non-condensing models. However, there will still be many homeowners who will continue to demand more conventional solutions. Real benefits such as ease of use and convenience will continue to be the primary focus of many conventional heating controls suppliers.
The outlook for the UK domestic central heating market in late 2016 remains relatively flat, with an uncertain UK economy following the UK 'Brexit' vote. However, more steady growth is anticipated from 2018 onwards, driven by the replacement sector and the increasing concern regarding energy efficiency and energy costs etc. By 2020, it is estimated that the UK domestic central heating market will have increased by 14% in value terms, compared to 2016.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS
- 2.3 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 DOMESTIC HOUSING
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC CENTRAL HEATING
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.2.1 Market Size by Value 2011 - 2020
- 4.2.2 Product Mix (Boilers, Radiators, Circulators, Heating Controls)
- 4.2.3 Household Penetration
- 4.2.4 Type of Installation
- 4.2.5 Source of Fuel
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 The Internet of Things
- 4.3.2 Underfloor Heating Market
- 4.3.3 Insulation Measures
- 4.3.4 Environmental Legislation
- 4.3.5 Renewable Energy Technologies
5 SMART HEATING CONTROLS
- 5.1 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 5.1.1 Definition
- 5.1.2 Market Size by Value 2013 - 2020
- 5.1.3 Future Prospects
- 5.1.4 Benefits of Smart Heating Controls
- 5.2 MARKET TRENDS
- 5.2.1 Development of Smart Homes
- 5.2.2 Mobile Internet Access
- 5.2.3 Role of the Energy Companies
- 5.3 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 5.3.1 Product Mix
- 5.3.2 Product Features
- 5.3.3 Smart Thermostats
- 5.3.4 Learning Thermostats
- 5.3.5 Advanced Zoned Systems
- 5.4 SUPPLIERS
- 5.4.1 Market Shares
- 5.4.2 Key Company Profiles
6 CONVENTIONAL HEATING CONTROLS
- 6.1 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 6.1.1 Definition
- 6.1.2 Market Size by Value 2011 - 2020
- 6.1.3 Market Background
- 6.1.4 Future Prospects
- 6.1.5 Home Ownership
- 6.1.6 Legislative Requirements
- 6.2 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 6.2.1 Product Mix
- 6.2.2 Conventional Heating Controls by Type (Thermostats, Programmers, TRVs)
- 6.3 SUPPLIERS
- 6.3.1 Market Shares
- 6.3.2 Key Company Profiles
- 7.1 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 7.1.1 Definition
- 7.1.2 Market Size by Value 2011 - 2020
- 7.1.3 Market Background
- 7.1.4 Future Prospects
- 7.2 MARKET TRENDS
- 7.2.1 Fuel Used (Gas-fired, Oil-fired, Electric, Other)
- 7.2.2 Location (Wall Mounted, Floor Standing, Back Boilers)
- 7.2.3 Condensing Boilers
- 7.3 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 7.3.1 Product Mix
- 7.3.2 Boilers by Type (Combination, Traditional, System, Other)
- 7.4 SUPPLIERS
- 7.4.1 Market Shares
- 7.4.2 Key Company Profiles
- 8.1 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 8.1.1 Definition
- 8.1.2 Market Size by Value 2011- 2020
- 8.1.3 Market Background
- 8.1.4 Future Prospects
- 8.2 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 8.2.1 Product Mix
- 8.2.2 Radiators by Type (Standard, Decorative, Towel Warmers)
- 8.3 SUPPLIERS
- 8.3.1 Market Shares
- 8.3.2 Key Company Profiles
9 CIRCULATOR PUMPS
- 9.1 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 9.1.1 Definition
- 9.1.2 Market Size by Value 2011 - 2020
- 9.1.3 Market Background
- 9.1.4 Future Prospects
- 9.2 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 9.2.1 Product Mix
- 9.2.2 Circulator Pumps by Type (Stand-alone, Boiler Integrated)
- 9.3 SUPPLIERS
- 9.3.1 Market Shares
- 9.3.2 Key Company Profiles
- 10.1 CHANNEL SHARES
- 10.2 KEY COMPANIES
- 10.2.1 Merchants
- 10.2.2 DIY Multiples
- 10.2.3 Electrical Wholesalers
- 10.2.4 Online Retailers and Others
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK DOMESTIC CENTRAL HEATING MARKET BY VALUE AND FORECASTS (£M MSP) 2011-2020
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020
- TABLE 5 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS 2011-2020 - UK (000'S DWELLINGS)
- CHART 6 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2005-2020 % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING
- TABLE 7 RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK (000S) 2011-2020
- TABLE 8 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 9 UK DOMESTIC CENTRAL HEATING MARKET - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2011-2020
- CHART 10 MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (BOILERS, RADIATORS, CIRCULATORS, SMART HEATING CONTROLS, CONVENTIONAL HEATING CONTROLS) BY VALUE 2015
- CHART 11 PERCENTAGE OF UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH CENTRAL HEATING - 1996, 2006 AND 2015
- CHART 12 PERCENTAGE OF UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH CENTRAL HEATING BY TENURE (OWNER OCCUPIED, PRIVATE RENTED, SOCIAL HOUSING) 2015
- CHART 13 NUMBER OF UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH CENTRAL HEATING BY BOILER TYPE - COMBINATION, STANDARD, BACK (000'S) 2015
- CHART 14 MARKET MIX BY TYPE OF INSTALLATION (REPLACEMENT, NEW HOUSING, FIRST TIME EXISTING HOUSING) - BY VOLUME 2015
- CHART 15 MARKET MIX BY SOURCE OF FUEL USED (GAS, OIL, OTHER ETC.) - BY VOLUME 2015
- CHART 16 PERCENTAGE OF UK HOUSEHOLDS WITH INSULATION MEASURES BY TYPE - 1996, 2006 AND 2015
- TABLE 17 UK SMART HEATING CONTROLS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2013 - 2020
- CHART 18 SMART & CONVENTIONAL HEATING CONTROLS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2011-2020
- CHART 19 UK HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION OF SMART HOME SYSTEMS - 2013-2020
- CHART 20 GB ADULTS ACCESSING THE INTERNET WITH A SMARTPHONE 2011 - 2016
- TABLE 21 UK BIG 6 ENERGY COMPANIES CUSTOMER BASE AND SMART THERMOSTAT SOLUTION 2016
- CHART 22 SMART HEATING CONTROLS MIX BY TYPE (SMART THERMOSTATS, LEARNING THERMOSTATS, ADVANCED ZONED SYSTEMS) - BY VOLUME 2015
- TABLE 23 LEADING SMART HEATING CONTROLS - SUMMARY OF FEATURES
- TABLE 24 SMART HEATING CONTROLS - LEADING SUPPLIERS 2015
- TABLE 25 UK CONVENTIONAL HEATING CONTROLS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2011-2020
- CHART 26 CONVENTIONAL HEATING CONTROLS PRODUCT MIX - THERMOSTATS, PROGRAMMERS, TRVS, MOTORISED VALVES, COMPENSATORS - BY VALUE 2015
- TABLE 27 CONVENTIONAL HEATING CONTROLS - LEADING SUPPLIERS 2015
- TABLE 28 UK DOMESTIC BOILER MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2011-2020
- CHART 29 BOILER SALES MIX BY TYPE OF FUEL (GAS-FIRED, OIL-FIRED, ELECTRIC, ETC.) - BY VOLUME 2015
- CHART 30 BOILER SALES MIX BY LOCATION (WALL MOUNTED, FLOOR STANDING) BY VOLUME 2015
- CHART 31 BOILER MIX BY TYPE (COMBINATION, TRADITIONAL, SYSTEM, ETC.) - BY VOLUME 2015
- TABLE 32 DOMESTIC BOILER SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES - BY VALUE 2015
- TABLE 33 UK DOMESTIC RADIATOR MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2011-2020
- CHART 34 RADIATOR MIX BY TYPE (STANDARD, DECORATIVE, TOWEL WARMERS) - BY VALUE 2015
- TABLE 35 DOMESTIC RADIATOR SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES - BY VALUE 2015
- TABLE 36 UK DOMESTIC CIRCULATOR MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2011-2020
- CHART 37 CIRCULATOR PRODUCT MIX (BOILER-INTEGRATED, STAND-ALONE) - BY VOLUME 2015
- TABLE 38 CIRCULATOR SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARE - BY VALUE 2015
- CHART 39 MARKET DISTRIBUTION BY CHANNEL DOMESTIC CENTRAL HEATING PRODUCTS- BY VOLUME 2015