AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 6th edition of the report 'General Industrial Products Distribution Market Report - UK 2014-2018 Analysis '. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that continue to impact on the market.
The report contains:
- DETAILED ASSESSMENT OF THE MARKET - analysis of the market structure, key national distributors and recent developments in the market.
- HIGHLY FRAGMENTED MARKET - key distribution channels including industrial distributors, specialists and direct.
- ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT GROUP - health & safety, fluid & air control, power tools, hand tools, engineering & metalworking, workshop & maintenance, SSASH (storage, security, access, site equipment & handling), fasteners, janitorial and abrasives - market sizes, product mixes and distribution.
- FORECASTS MARKET DEVELOPMENTS UP TO 2018 - market size and factors impacting on the market.
The report focuses on the distribution of industrial / building consumables which represents a mature and highly fragmented market in terms of product range, customer base and applications in end-use sectors.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Market performance review and forecasts to 2018 .
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics.
- Review of the distribution structure .
- Review of key players - product mix and market share estimates.
- Product group analysis - review of major product sectors, distribution channel shares for the different products.
Arco, Axminster Power Tool Centre, Brammer, Buck & Hickman, Bunzl, Cromwell Tools, Eriks Industrial Services, FWB Products, Greenham Trading, Hayley Group, HC Slingsby, Key Industrial Equipment, Machine Mart, Monks and Crane Industrial Group, MSC Industrial Supply Co, Northern Tool and Equipment Co, Parker Merchanting, Protec, RS Components, Screwfix Direct, Seton, Toolbank, Toolstation.
Key areas covered in the report include :
- General Industrial Product Distribution market - market definition, size and recent market performance in 2012-14, factors impacting on the market.
- Product sectors reviewed - abrasives, janitorial, fasteners, fluid & air control, health & safety, power tools, hand tools, engineering & metalworking, workshop & maintenance and SSASH (storage, security, access, site equipment & handling) .
- Key market influences - including manufacturing & engineering sectors, utilities and infrastructure sectors, legislation, development of multi-channel approach etc.
- Distribution structure - suppliers, distributors and end-users
- Review of key distribution channels - industrial distributors, the specialists and direct.
- Future prospects - market size and forecast trends up to 2018.
THE LEADING PLAYERS
- Review of key distributors - Arco, Screwfix, RS Components, Cromwell Tools, Brammer, Eriks Industrial Services, Toolbank, Parker Merchanting, Buck & Hickman, Monks & Crane, Machine Mart, Toolstation, Hayley Group, Seton, MSC Industrial etc.
- Market shares of key distributors - market positioning, overall shares etc, overview of market and recent trends.
- Profiles of key distributors - company structure, estimates of market shares, product mix and portfolio analysis.
- Key Competitors - including specialists, builders merchants, tool & plant hire companies, automotive aftermarket, buying groups and independents.
PRODUCTS AND SUPPLIERS
- Market size of product groups defined in report, with estimated shares within the industrial distributors market.
- Product groups - definition, distributors shares within each sector and product trends.
- Product distribution - estimated shares of industrial distributors and competing channels by each product sector (merchants, specialists, plant & tool hire, automotive and others including direct sales.
- Future prospects for the general industrial products distribution market to 2018, with market size estimation.
- Factors affecting distributors market - positive and negative influences, trends in key sectors.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
Updated Summary to Follow (below is from previous edition)
AMA Research has published a new report covering the general industrial products distribution market. The report provides a comprehensive analysis of market structure and assesses key players within this fragmented sector. The main product sectors are analysed in terms of product market sizes, trends and distributor shares of the sectors. The report also provides forecasts of market prospects to 2017.
Product sectors included: abrasives, janitorial products, fasteners, fluid & air control, health & safety, power tools, hand tools, engineering & metalworking, workshop & maintenance and storage, security, access, site equipment & handling products.
The general industrial products distribution market is mature and highly fragmented with an estimated market size of almost £1.7 billion in 2012 within the report definition. This forms part of the overall distribution market as defined in our report, which is estimated to be around 2.8-3.0 billion in 2012. Distributor involvement varies significantly, with some distributors operating in all product sectors defined in the report, whilst others focus on a more limited number of product sectors.
The key players in the general industrial product distribution market Arco, Screwfix and RS Components, with other leading industrial distributors being Brammer, Cromwell Tools and Eriks Industrial Services. The recent challenging trading conditions has seen mixed performances from the general industrial products distributors, with some continuing to grow, whilst others have exhibited weaker performances. In general, those that are part of a larger parent group appear to have fared better, particularly those that have been able to invest in their subsidiaries or in expanding their multi-channel approach. The main competitors to the industrial distributors are direct supply and specialist channels.
The industrial distributors' involvement in product distribution varies dependent on the type of product. Key product sectors for the industrial products distributors are health & safety, engineering & metal working, fluid & air control and workshop & maintenance.
Product ranges are generally offered both in catalogues and on the Internet, with most leading companies operating a branch network. Some general industrial products distributors have moved their focus to the Internet rather than catalogues and others no longer publish catalogues as they believe that Internet allows a more comprehensive and up-to-date offering of products. Increasingly a multi-channel approach is being adopted by companies, particularly the larger companies, and there is the risk that companies that do not take advantage of technological advancements may lose share in the market.
The health of the General Industrial Products Distribution market is affected by the state of the economy and the performance of key customer sectors including manufacturing, engineering, transportation, water, marine and offshore. Also impacting on the market are the levels of maintenance & repair as well as legislation. The market experienced steady growth to 2007, before being impacted by the economic downturn in 2008/09, falling to an estimated market size of £1.5 billion. Recovery in end-use sectors including the manufacturing sector (in particular the automotive sector) helped the industrial product distribution market recover in 2010 and 2011, although 2012 has proved to be a challenging year for the market. Future prospects are for low level growth to 2017, with different product sectors experiencing different growth rates.
Table of Contents
Updated TOC to Follow (below is from previous edition)
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. THE MARKET
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET STRUCTURE
- 4.2.1 Distribution
- 4.2.2 Competitive Channels
- 4.2.3 Overall Market Size of the Distributors of the (Defined) Industrial Consumable Products
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE
- 4.4 CUSTOMERS OF INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS
- 4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.5.1 Manufacturing and Engineering Sector Influences
- 4.5.2 Legislative Influences
- 4.5.3 Infrastructure
- 4.5.4 The Energy Sector
5. MAJOR DISTRIBUTORS OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS
- 5.1 INTRODUCTION
- 5.2 MAJOR INDUSTRIAL PRODUCT DISTRIBUTORS
- 5.2.1 Screwfix Direct
- 5.2.2 Arco
- 5.2.3 RS Components
- 5.2.4 Eriks Industrial Services
- 5.2.5 Brammer plc
- 5.2.6 Cromwell Tools
- 5.2.7 Toolbank
- 5.2.8 Machine Mart
- 5.2.9 Monks & Crane
- 5.2.10 Parker Merchanting
- 5.2.11 Toolstation
- 5.2.12 Hayley
- 5.2.13 Seton
- 5.2.14 Other Key Distributors
6. PRODUCT SECTORS OF THE UK INDUSTRIAL CONSUMABLES DISTRIBUTION MARKET
- 6.1 DEFINITION
- 6.2 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.3 PRODUCT SECTORS
- 6.3.1 Abrasive Products
- 6.3.2 Janitorial Products
- 6.3.3 Fasteners
- 6.3.4 Fluid and Air Control Products
- 6.3.5 Health and Safety
- 6.3.6 Power Tools
- 6.3.7 Hand Tools
- 6.3.8 Engineering and Metal Working
- 6.3.9 Workshop and Maintenance Products
- 6.3.10 Storage, Security, Access, Site and Handling Equipment (SSASH)
- 6.3.11 Other Products
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK INDUSTRIAL CONSUMABLE PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET (£M) AT DISTRIBUTORS PRICES 2007-2017
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2010-2012 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2017
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2017
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS
- CHART 7 DISTRIBUTION MIX OF PRODUCTS SUPPLIED BY INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTORS AND SPECIALIST DISTRIBUTORS - % SHARE BY VALUE
- TABLE 8 INDUSTRIAL CONSUMABLE PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2007 - 2012 (£M) AT DISTRIBUTORS SELLING PRICES (DSP)
- TABLE 9 INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET (£M) AT DISTRIBUTORS SELLING PRICES, 2012-2017
- TABLE 10 OUTPUT OF THE PRODUCTION INDUSTRIES (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED), 2009= 100
- CHART 11 INFRASTRUCTURE OUTPUT (NEW WORK) BY SECTOR - ROADS, RAIL, WATER, ELECTRICITY ETC. GREAT BRITAIN 2011 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 12 VALUE OF ROAD & RAIL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2006-2011 (£ BILLION)
- CHART 13 UTILITIES CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GB BY SECTOR WATER, SEWERAGE, ELECTRICITY ETC, 2006 TO 2011 - BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 14 UK RENEWABLE ENERGY GENERATION 2007-11 - BY OUTPUT (GWH)
- TABLE 15 UK INDUSTRIAL CONSUMABLE PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTORS - MARKET SHARES BY % VALUE 2012
- TABLE 16 SCREWFIX'S PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 17 ARCO PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 18 RS COMPONENTS PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 19 ERIKS PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 20 BRAMMER'S PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 21 BUCK & HICKMAN PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR 2012
- TABLE 22 CROMWELL TOOLS PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 23 TOOLBANK PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 24 MACHINE MART PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 25 MONKS & CRANE PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 26 PARKER MERCHANTING PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 27 TOOLSTATION PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 28 HAYLEY GROUP PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 29 SETON PRODUCT PORTFOLIO - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 30 PRODUCT PORTFOLIOS OF KEY INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT, MSC INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY, FWB PRODUCTS AND AXMINSTER TOOL CENTRE - % SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR, 2012
- TABLE 31 % PRODUCT MIX OF THE UK INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTION MARKET - VALUE (£M) AND SHARE 2012 AT DISTRIBUTORS SELLING PRICES (DSP)
- CHART 32 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR ABRASIVES PRODUCTS BY VALUE IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 33 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF ABRASIVES WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 34 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR JANITORIAL PRODUCTS BY VALUE IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 35 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF JANITORIAL PRODUCTS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 36 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR FASTENER PRODUCTS BY VALUE IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 37 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF FASTENERS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 38 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR AIR AND FLUID CONTROL PRODUCTS BY VALUE, IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 39 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF FLUID AND AIR CONTROL PRODUCTS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 40 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY PRODUCTS BY VALUE, IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 41 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF HEALTH & SAFETY PRODUCTS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 42 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR POWER TOOLS IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 43 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF POWER TOOLS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 44 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR HAND TOOLS PRODUCTS BY VALUE, IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 45 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF HAND TOOLS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 46 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR ENGINEERING AND METAL WORKING PRODUCTS BY VALUE, IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 47 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF ENGINEERING AND METAL WORKING PRODUCTS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 48 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR WORKSHOP AND MAINTENANCE PRODUCTS IN THE INDUSTRIAL SECTOR, BY VALUE, IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 49 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF WORKSHOP AND MAINTENANCE PRODUCTS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012
- CHART 50 ESTIMATED % MIX OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR STORAGE, SECURITY, ACCESS, SITE AND HANDLING EQUIPMENT, BY VALUE, IN 2012 AT DSP
- TABLE 51 COMPANY DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF SSASH PRODUCTS WITHIN THE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET IN 2012