AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 12th edition of the report 'Floorcoverings Market Report- UK 2014-2018 Analysis'. First published in 1991, the report focuses on providing a comprehensive and up to date review of the floorcoverings market in the UK in 2013-2014, as well as analysing influencing factors and trends likely to drive future market performance.
The report contains:
- DETAILED ASSESSMENT OF THE MARKET - analysis of major developments and current and future trends.
- REVIEW OF KEY PRODUCT AND SECTOR TRENDS - carpets, wood/laminates, vinyl, ceramic tiles & natural stone, others.
- REVIEW OF SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - changes to supply structure and changes to key distribution channels etc.
- FORECASTS OF MARKET DEVELOPMENTS UP TO 2018.
In 2013/14, the UK Floorcoverings sector has benefited from a recovery in the housing market and other construction sectors. Carpet remains the largest sector within the floorcoverings product mix, but vinyl, ceramic tiles and wood/laminates all account for significant shares, reflecting varying strengths in different applications in some key end-use sectors. The current outlook for the market into the medium-term is for steady recovery, underpinned by a combination of further recovery in the housing market and improving consumer and business confidence and investment levels.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Underlying performance of the market in 2013-14.
- Despite longer-term trend of loss of share for carpet in favour of smooth floorcoverings, the product mix has remained relatively stable in 2013-14.
- Vinyl continued to increase sales in key commercial sectors with domestic growth underpinned by stone and wood effect products.
- Review of leading manufacturers and suppliers.
- Market prospects in 2015 and medium term prospects to 2018.
Abingdon Flooring, AIREA, Altro, Amtico International, Armstrong UK, Atkinson & Kirby, Axminster Carpets, Balta Group, Balterio, Beach Bros, Beaulieu International Group (BIG), BHK (UK), Brintons, British Ceramic Tile, Burmatex, Carpetright, Carpets & Flooring, Cavalier Carpets, Desso, Ege Carpets, Egger UK, Finsa UK, Floors-2-Go, Fludes, Forbo Flooring UK, Gerflor, Greenwood & Coope Ltd, Havwoods, Headlam Group, Interface Europe, International Decorative Surfaces (IDS), Johnson Tiles, Junckers, Kährs, Karndean International, Kent Flooring Supplies, Kenton Floors, Kronospan, Metsä Wood UK, Milliken Carpet Europe, Panaget, Pennine Flooring Supplies, Pergo, Pilkingtons, Plasman, Polyflor, Porcelanosa, Rovers Flooring, STS Flooring, Tarkett Group, Tedd Todd, Tileflair, Timbmet, Topps Tiles, Tradewoods, Ulster Carpet Mills, Unilin, United Carpets, United Carpets Group, Victoria Carpets, Victorian Woodworks, Westco, Whitestone Weavers.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Total Floorcoverings Market - analysis of size by value 2008 -2018, historical trends and market characteristics.
- Analysis by major product sectors - carpets, wood & laminate, vinyl, ceramic & natural stone tiles, linoleum etc. - current shares and mix changes over the last decade, driving factors, future prospects.
- Review of key market influences - housebuilding, construction market sizes by sector 2008-18, growth of underfloor heating etc. Overview of domestic and contract sectors.
- Future Prospects - forecasts of overall market performance in 2015-18.
- Carpets - market size by value 2008-14, product mix (tufted, woven, fibre-bonded and non-woven), factors influencing market performance, international trade in carpets. Rugs market size. Key suppliers/market shares in the UK carpet market, future prospects to 2018.
- Wood & Laminates - market size by value 2008-14, mix share between solid, engineered and laminates, changes to product mix in recent years, factors affecting recent market performance, domestic and contract end-use mix, key suppliers/market shares, distribution channels, market outlook to 2018.
- Vinyl - market size by value 2008-14, share mix between vinyl tiles and sheeting, key trends influencing recent market behaviour, domestic/contract sector mix, recycling initiatives, profiles of key suppliers in the UK vinyl floorcovering market, future prospects to 2018.
- Ceramic & Natural Stone Tiles - market size by value 2008-14, growth of sector, factors continuing to influence demand for ceramic and stone floorcoverings in both domestic and contract end-use sectors, key suppliers, outlook for market to 2018.
- Others - linoleum, cork, rubber, etc. - market size 2008-14, recent sector performance, key influencing factors, prospects to 2018.
- Domestic Distribution - definitions, market shares by major channel - Multiples, Independents, Specialists, DIY, Builders Merchants, Department Stores, Mail Order, Internet, etc - areas of growth and decline, major companies within each channel.
- Contract Distribution - mix by major channel - healthcare, education, commercial, retail, industrial, leisure, areas of growth and decline - future prospects.
- Key growth areas - prospects for 2015 and up to 2018 - prospects by product sector.
- Review of key factors impacting the market.
Updated Summary to Follow (below is from previous edition)
The UK floorcoverings market is mature and, as a result, sales are highly susceptible to the cyclical nature of consumer confidence & spending and the performance of the underlying economy.
Following decline of 20% 2007-11, the floorcoverings market experienced moderate increase in 2012 to around £1.73bn. Key drivers for this moderate recovery include the refurbishment works in preparation for the Golden Jubilee and the Olympic Games as well as sustained demand for sector specific products within the commercial sectors.
The housing market has continued to struggle in 2012 with the majority of floorcoverings within the domestic sector continuing to face "tough" conditions throughout the year. The contract sector - reflecting some of the decline in the consumer market - has also struggled, with demand for major new build and refurbishment projects also significantly slower in 2009 through 2012.
Trading conditions have been difficult for both manufacturers and retailers, struggling with a range of problems that include the ongoing issue of the Eurozone, adverse weather conditions impacting sales, a flat economy, and rising energy and household costs. These factors continue to impact both business and consumer confidence, and levels of spending and investment.
Carpet dominates the floorcoverings product mix in 2012 with value share estimated at 57%, followed by wood (16%), vinyl (15%).
The domestic market for carpet has remained difficult in 2010-12 with retailers recording reduced footfall as consumer spending on 'non essentials' remains subdued. The contract market has been boosted by increased demand for carpet and carpet tiles from the education and entertainment & leisure sectors over the last 2-3 years, but increased pressure on prices in the contract sector has meant that value growth has been subdued. Tufted carpets continue to dominate the carpet mix with value share of 73% in 2012 followed by wovens with 15% and with fibre bonded and 'others' maintaining value share at 6%.
The wood floorcoverings sector has experienced 26% decline in value since the market peak of £385m in 2007 and is estimated to be worth around £233m in 2012. Key to the decline in wood flooring has been the dramatic fall in laminate sales, which into 2012 appears to be stabilising with laminates now characterised by a move upwards into the mid-market sectors. Engineered and solid woods have performed better than laminates in recent years with demand from both the contract and domestic sectors generally less susceptible to the volatility experienced in the laminates market. However, increased price of oak into H2 2012 appears to be driving up average prices.
The UK market for vinyl floorcoverings has struggled over the review period, reflecting ongoing difficult conditions in the underlying economy and cutbacks in the healthcare sector. However, the decline was offset to some extent by a surge in spend on refurbishments and new projects in the run-up to the London Olympics.
Although a beneficiary of the 'improve not move' trend in 2011, the upper sectors of the ceramic & natural stone tile market have experienced more difficult conditions in 2012 with retailers in particularly indicating slower footfall.
Prospects for the floorcoverings market indicate that growth is likely to be marginal at best into the short-medium term, driven by struggling housing market and the prospects of spending cuts likely to reduce demand from key public sectors. Recent extensive flooding damage in late 2012 will provide a short term boost to the sector in 2013, though this will only have a limited impact on the market. The overall market is currently forecast to experience only marginal 1-2% growth to 2016 when value is expected to reach around £1.84bn -approximately 15% below pre-recession peak of £2.16bn recorded for 2007.
Table of Contents
Updated TOC to Follow (below is from previous edition)
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 4.4 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS
- 4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.5.1 The Housing Market
- 4.5.2 Construction output
- 4.5.3 Domestic Conservatory Market
- 4.5.4 Underfloor Heating Market
- 5.1 DEFINITION
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND CHARACTERISTICS
- 5.2.1 Market Size
- 5.2.2 Market Characteristics
- 5.2.3 Current Situation
- 5.2.4 Future Prospects
- 5.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
- 5.3.1 Imports
- 5.3.2 Exports
- 5.4 CARPET PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4.1 Tufted Carpet
- 5.4.2 Woven Carpets
- 5.4.3 Fibre Bonded Carpets
- 5.4.4 Others
- 5.5 CARPET TILES & RUGS
- 5.5.1 Carpet Tiles
- 5.5.2 Rugs
- 5.6 CARPET SUPPLIERS
6. WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS
- 6.1 DEFINITION
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.4 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS
- 6.5 END USE SECTORS
- 6.6 FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 6.7 KEY SUPPLIERS
- 6.7.1 Market Share
- 6.7.2 Key Suppliers
7. VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS
- 7.1 DEFINITION
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE
- 7.2.1 Current Situation
- 7.2.2 Future Prospects
- 7.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
- 7.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 7.5 END-USE SECTORS
- 7.5.1 Contract Vinyl Sector
- 7.5.2 The Domestic Sector
- 7.6 SUPPLIERS
8. OTHER FLOORCOVERINGS
- 8.1 DEFINITION
- 8.2 CERAMIC TILES
- 8.2.1 Market Overview
- 8.2.2 International Trade
- 8.2.3 Suppliers of Ceramic Tiles
- 8.3 NATURAL STONE
- 8.3.1 Market Overview
- 8.3.2 Suppliers
- 8.4 LINOLEUM
- 8.4.1 Market Overview
- 8.4.2 International Trade
- 8.5 OTHER FLOORCOVERINGS
- 8.5.1 Cork
- 8.5.2 Rubber
- 8.5.3 Leather and Bamboo
- 9.1 OVERVIEW
- 9.2 CONTRACT FLOORCOVERINGS DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 9.2.1 Contract Floorcoverings Distribution Channels
- 9.3 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION
- 9.3.1 Domestic Distribution Channel Share
- 9.3.2 Floorcoverings Multiples
- 9.3.3 Furniture and Floorcovering Independents
- 9.3.4 DIY Multiples
- 9.3.5 Furniture and Furnishing Multiples
- 9.3.6 Department Stores & Variety Stores
- 9.3.7 Mail Order and Catalogue Stores
- 9.4 DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALERS
- 9.4.1 Major Wholesalers/Distributors
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2006-2016 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2010-2012 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2016
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2016
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6 UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2006-2016 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 7 UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2007 AND 2012 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 8 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2006 TO 2012 UNITED KINGDOM - NUMBER OF DWELLINGS ('000)
- TABLE 9 NUMBER OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS - UK 2007 TO 2011 ('000)
- TABLE 10 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2006 TO 2011 - BY VALUE (£MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 11 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR Q1-Q3 2012 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 12 DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY MARKET 2007 TO 2012 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 13 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET 2007 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 14 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR CARPET 2006-2016 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 15 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CARPETS 2006 TO 2011 - BY VALUE (£MILLION)
- TABLE 16 PRODUCT MIX FOR UK CARPET IMPORTS 2011 AND H1 2012 - % BY VALUE (£ MILLION)
- TABLE 17 PRODUCT MIX FOR UK CARPET EXPORTS 2009 AND 2011 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 18 UK CARPET MARKET PRODUCT MIX (TUFTED, WOVEN, FIBRE BONDED, OTHERS) - 2010 AND 2012 - % BY VALUE
- CHART19 UK MARKET FOR TUFTED CARPETS 2006 TO 2012 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 20 UK MARKET FOR WOVEN CARPET 2006-2012 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 21 MARKET SHARES FOR CARPET MANUFACTURERS % BY VALUE 2012
- CHART 22 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2006-2016 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 23 UK MARKET FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX (SOLID, ENGINEERED, LAMINATES) 2012 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 24 MARKET PERFORMANCE OF SOLID/ENGINEERED WOOD AND LAMINATES 2006 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 25 UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET - END USE APPLICATION MIX (CONTRACT / DOMESTIC) 2012 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 26 LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE TOTAL UK WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET 2012
- CHART 27 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS 2006-2016 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 28 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN VINYL WALL, CEILING AND FLOORCOVERINGS 2006 TO 2012 - BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 29 VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX (TILES/SHEETING) 2012 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 30 UK VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET END-USE SECTOR MIX 2012 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 31 UK VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS END-USE SECTOR MIX (CONTRACT / DOMESTIC) 2003, 2009 AND 2012 - % BY VALUE (£ MILLION MSP)
- TABLE 32 UK MARKET FOR CONTRACT VINYL PRODUCT MIX 1998, 2006 AND 2012 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 33 UK SUPPLIERS OF VINYL FLOORCOVERINGS - % SHARE BY VALUE 2012
- CHART 34 UK MARKET FOR OTHER FLOORCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2012 - (% BY VALUE)
- CHART 35 UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC FLOOR TILES 2006-2016 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 36 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CERAMIC TILES 2006 - 2011 - BY VALUE (£MILLION)
- TABLE 37 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN LINOLEUM FLOORCOVERINGS 2007 TO 2012 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION)
- CHART 38 MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR THE UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET
- TABLE 39 CONTRACT FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET - KEY DISTRIBUTION ROUTES - BY PRODUCT (DISTRIBUTORS SPECIALISTS, RETAIL ETC)
- TABLE 40 DISTRIBUTION OF DOMESTIC FLOORCOVERINGS 2012 - % SHARE BY VALUE - FLOORCOVERING MULTIPLES, INDEPENDENTS, DIY, DEPT / VARIETY STORES, FURNITURE & FURNISHING MULTIPLES, MAIL ORDER/INTERNET ETC.
- TABLE 41 RETAIL SALE OF CARPETS, RUGS AND WALL COVERINGS - NUMBER OF ORGANISATIONS BY TURNOVER BAND