Product Code: Bth4
AMA Research have published the 4th edition of the 'Bathroom and Kitchen PODs Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. This report provides comprehensive and detailed coverage of this growing market. Written by market research professionals with significant experience and a specialism in the construction sector, it evaluates future prospects for the UK PODs market, both as a whole and across a number of the key application sectors. The report incorporates original input and research and offers excellent value for money.
Key sections covered:
- Bathroom and Kitchen PODs market overview - market value and volume between 2010-15, key market drivers, forecasts to 2019.
- Product trends - product mix, characteristics, analysis of materials used - concrete, steel framed, GRP and composite, specification trends etc.
- Supplier review - review of leading POD suppliers, market shares and company profiles, key trends and changes including market consolidation.
- End use application sectors - market mix by end use sector, review of private residential, hotels, student accommodation, military accommodation, healthcare, prisons, commercial and public sector offices and other sectors.
- Future prospects - market forecasts to 2019.
Key areas of insight include:
- An increase in the use of steel framed PODs, reflecting the trend towards using lighter and more flexible materials on construction projects.
- As the POD market matures, there is potential for refurbishment, for example upgrading of student accommodation, where a sizeable number of new projects are also planned.
- There is still scope for work in both branded budget and premium hotels, given the versatility of PODs and the range of finishes available and the future prospects for these end use sectors.
- Opportunities lie in the private care for the elderly sector. Typical applications include wet room style PODs, providing ease of access, hygiene and safety.
- Improving prospects in the residential sector means there are real opportunities for bathroom and kitchen PODs, particularly in social and affordable housing and in private sector apartments.
Some of the companies included:
ALA Rational Systems, Altor Industries, Aquadream, Balfour Beatty Engineering Services, Bathsystem, Baudet, Buchan Concrete Solutions, Caledonian Modular Group, Custom Composite Services, Deba, Douglas James, Elements Europe, Ensuite Solutions, Eurocomponents, European Ensuites, Glafiba ApS, Hellweg Badsysteme, Hemway Pod It, ISP Yapi, Kondor Bathroom Pods, McAvoy Offsite, Offsite Solutions, Paddington Offsite, Parmarine, PartAB, Pod Modules, Polypod, Premier Composites, Premier Interlink, Rollalong, Stelco Manufacturing, Sterchele, Swift Horsman, Taplanes, Terrapin, Useful Structures, Walker Modular, Yorkon Ltd.
Key areas covered in the report include:
BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS MARKET
- Overview of the PODs market by value and volume 2009-2015 with forecasts to 2019, market background and future prospects.
- Key market drivers - economic and industry trends, Government policies etc. Shift in profile of end use sectors and the impact on the PODs market. Skills shortages, drive to efficient construction, reduced on-site time etc.
- Social and demographic changes - increased demand for dwellings and population growth.
- UK Government policy - prospects for the different construction sectors, education, health, the military, social housing, etc.
- The performance of the housing market and the impact on housing development programmes.
- Overall product mix - by value and share.
- Characteristics by type - bathroom, shower-room and kitchen. Design considerations.
- Analysis of the materials used and their different characteristics - concrete, steel framed, GRP and composite.
- Environmental concerns - product waste and the ability to recycle.
- Specification and installation trends - key influences, material type, POD weight, transport and installation issues.
- Market shares of leading PODs suppliers including supply structure overview.
- Review and analysis of leading suppliers, including company profile, turnover, key product areas etc. Summary of significant other suppliers.
- Key trends - market consolidation and analysis of changes in market situation.
END USE APPLICATION SECTORS
- Market mix by end use sector - by value and share.
- Consideration of the key end use sectors - domestic residential sector including flats/apartments, affordable and social housing, private residential; hotels including branded budget and up-market 5-star; student accommodation; military accommodation; healthcare including nursing homes; prisons; offices. Growth prospects and future challenges per sector and the potential impact on the PODs market.
- Analysis on how PODs meet the requirements of the different end users - ease of maintenance, speed of construction and refurbishment, etc.
- Forecast growth in PODs; usage up until 2019, with an indication as to which market sectors will provide the greatest growth.
- Factors likely to influence the adoption of PODs - greater awareness of off-site benefits and use of PODs, skills shortages, construction efficiencies, positive trends in a number of sectors, including social and affordable housing, student accommodation, hotels and care homes.
- Government initiatives - housing market initiatives and greater use of modular construction.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
There had been a rapid decline in the prefabricated POD market from 2009 to 2012, driven primarily by the global economic crisis and the downturn in the housing and construction sectors in particular, which led to some major suppliers exiting the marketplace. However, the bathroom and kitchen PODs market has recovered well since 2012 with a particularly strong performance forecast for 2015 through to 2019. This reflects the improving situation in the UK economy and strong opportunities afforded by the residential and student accommodation sectors in particular. Although the forecast market value in 2015 represents a substantial increase on 2012, it is still significantly below the values experienced in 2009.
PODs continue to provide advantages of consistency of build quality under factory conditions, speed of assembly and reduction of trades on site, all of which will sustain market growth in the face of the skills shortages. The prefabricated PODs market continues to be dominated by shower-room PODs, followed by bathroom PODs, both of which lend themselves to self-contained, sealed units. Kitchen PODs represent only 5% of the overall POD market, with the wider variation in layouts, sometimes open plan, meaning fewer opportunities for standardised POD units. The market for kitchen PODs is also potentially more focussed upon the residential sector.
The majority of PODs are manufactured from either Glass reinforced plastic and composite (GRP), steel frame, with a smaller proportion manufactured in concrete and other materials, such as timber. These proportions have changed in recent years reflecting a number of changes in the marketplace. Firstly there has been a contraction in the number of suppliers producing concrete PODs for the UK market; secondly, the trend towards using lighter materials on construction projects has increased, meaning that modular steel frame has become more popular; thirdly, the key area of student accommodation favours use of GRP (as do some budget hotels), driven by cost.
In the medium-long term, the bathroom and kitchen PODs market is expected to experience a reasonable level of growth, tailing off slightly towards the end of the forecast period. By 2019, the market value is forecast to be 29% above 2015 levels. The key sectors served by PODs are all expected to show growth in the coming years - student accommodation, flats and apartments, care homes, hotels, etc., perhaps with the exception of the MOD sector. As the POD market has matured, new opportunities are also arising for refurbishment of existing PODs, alongside new build. Upgrading and renewal of POD interiors in student accommodation, for example, to compete with the quality of new build projects, presents a developing area of work in this marketplace.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.5.1 New House Build
- 3.5.2 House-Moving Levels
- 3.5.3 Value of Public Sector Non Housing Output
- 3.5.4 Households
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 UK MARKET FOR BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS
- 4.1 INTRODUCTION
- 4.2 DEFINITION
- 4.3 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.3.1 Market Size
- 4.3.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.4 Future Prospects
- 4.4 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX
- 5.2 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 5.2.1 Product Type
- 5.2.2 Product Design
- 5.2.3 Materials Used
- 5.3 ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS
- 5.4 SPECIFICATION AND INSTALLATION
- 6.1 MARKET SHARES
- 6.2 KEY SUPPLIERS
- 6.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS
7 KEY END USE APPLICATION SECTORS
- 7.1 END USE SECTOR OVERVIEW
- 7.2 DOMESTIC RESIDENTIAL
- 7.2.1 General Background
- 7.2.2 Flats and Apartments
- 7.2.3 Social Housing
- 7.2.4 Affordable Housing
- 7.2.5 Private Residential Housing
- 7.3 HOTELS
- 7.4 STUDENT ACCOMMODATION
- 7.5 MOD ACCOMMODATION
- 7.6 HEALTHCARE APPLICATIONS
- 7.6.1 The Care Home Market
- 7.7 PRISONS AND DETENTION CENTRES
- 7.8 COMMERCIAL OFFICES
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK BATHROOM & KITCHEN PODS MARKET BY VALUE (MSP) AND VOLUME 2009-2019 7
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 UK HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS 2010-2016 ('000 DWELLINGS)
- TABLE 6 UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2010-2014
- TABLE 7 UK NEW HOUSING AND RMI OUTPUT (£M) 2010-2016
- TABLE 8 UK STOCK OF DWELLINGS 2009-2015
- TABLE 9 UK AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE 1971 AND 2013
- TABLE 10 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 11 THE FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS
- CHART 12 UK BATHROOM & KITCHEN PODS MARKET BY VALUE (MSP) AND VOLUME 2009-2019
- CHART 13 BATHROOM, KITCHEN AND SHOWER ROOM PODS - % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015
- CHART 14 BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS - VALUE % MIX BY MATERIAL USED 2015 - STEEL, GRP AND CONCRETE
- TABLE 15 BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS - % ESTIMATED MARKET SHARE BY VALUE 2015
- CHART 16 BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS - % MIX BY VOLUME BY APPLICATION SECTOR 2015 - STUDENT, HEALTH, EDUCATION, RESIDENTIAL, MOD ETC
- TABLE 17 BATHROOM AND KITCHEN PODS MARKET PRICING 2015 (£MSP) - STANDARD, MID-MARKET, UP MARKET
- CHART 18 HOUSING COMPLETIONS BY REGION (ENGLAND, WALES AND SCOTLAND) 2009 - 2015 (FCST) BY VOLUME OF DWELLINGS
- CHART 19 % NUMBER OF FLATS COMPLETED IN ENGLAND 2006 - 2014
- CHART 20 SOCIAL HOUSING COMPLETIONS BY SECTOR, GB 2000 - 2014
- CHART 21 PUBLIC HOUSEBUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS GREAT BRITAIN Q1 2012 TO Q2 2015 - BY VOLUME
- CHART 22 NUMBER OF AFFORDABLE HOUSING COMPLETIONS FUNDED BY HOMES & COMMUNITIES AGENCY AND GLA, ENGLAND, 2009-2015
- TABLE 23 AFFORDABLE HOMES PROGRAMME 2015 - 2018 LARGEST (INITIAL) ALLOCATIONS BY PROVIDER
- CHART 24 PRIVATE HOUSEBUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS GREAT BRITAIN Q1 2012 TO Q2 2015 - BY VOLUME
- TABLE 25 UK HOTEL MARKET 2011 AND 2015
- TABLE 26 ENTERTAINMENT AND LEISURE WORK (PUBLIC & PRIVATE SECTORS) - CONTRACTORS OUTPUT 2009 - 2017 (£BN)
- TABLE 27 UK PUBLIC SECTOR EDUCATION OUTPUT - UNIVERSITIES AND TOTAL OUTPUT - BY VALUE, 2010 - 2014, £BN AT CURRENT PRICES
- TABLE 28 MARKET SHARES OF TOP 5 COMMERCIAL OPERATORS OF STUDENT ACCOMMODATION IN THE UK 2014-15
- CHART 29 ESTIMATED NUMBER OF STUDENT BED SPACES BUILT PER YEAR- 2009 - 2017.
- CHART 30 HEALTH CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS 2010 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 31 FUTURE DEMAND FOR CARE HOMES 2014 - 2017
- CHART 32 CARE HOME PLANNING APPLICATIONS H1 2015 - % APPLICATIONS BY REGION
- CHART 33 OFFICE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK) (£BN) 2010 - 2017