Product Code: Dcr3
The 13th edition of the 'Household Textiles Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' incorporates both original input and primary research, and represents an up-to-date and informed review of this evolving market. A substantial but fragmented market, the household textiles market has experienced steady growth in recent years. The report addresses this mature and well established market covering bed linen, filled products, bathroom textiles, table linen etc. in terms of market size, profile, structure, forecasts, product mix, suppliers and distribution.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - size, structure, trends, supply, distribution structure and forecasts to 2020.
- Bed linen - duvet covers, sheets & valances, pillowcases, bedspreads, blankets, throws and bed-runners.
- Filled products - duvets, pillows, cushions, mattress protectors & enhancers.
- Bathroom Textiles - towels, bathmats and pedestal sets.
- Table linen and kitchen towelling - tablecloths, napkins, table-mats and tea towels.
- Supply and distribution - leading suppliers, distribution structure and key channels.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market prospects for 2016-2017 and longer term trends up to 2020.
- Potential impact of EU Referendum and 'Brexit' - impact on economy and consumer spending.
- Review of key sectors - bed linen, filled products, bathroom textiles, table linen etc.
- Changes to product mix and supply structure in 2014-16.
- Review of fragmented supply and distribution structure for household textiles.
- Continued polarisation of the market - variations in performance between market sectors.
Some of the companies included:
Ashley Wilde Group, AW Hainsworth, Bedeck, Character World, Chortex, Christy, Comfy, Dorma, Dunelm Soft Furnishings, Fogarty, Fremaux Delorme, FuDa International, Herbert Parkinson, John Cotton Group, John Horsfall & Sons, Kipfold, Liddell Linens, MPL Home, Platt & Hill, Rectella, Richard Haworth, Samuel Lamont, Texplan Manufacturing, Thomas Ferguson Irish Linen, Thomas Frederick, Trendsetter Home Furnishings, Treymaine Ltd, Turner Bianca, United Fillings, Walker Greenbank.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Total household textiles market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value since 2011, trends and forecasts to 2020.
- Overview of current market performance in 2014-2016 and impact of economic climate on the overall market.
- Influencing factors, future trends, areas of potential opportunity - impact of Brexit vote, pricing pressures, upturn in housing market, recovery in consumer confidence etc.
- Imports and exports - significance of imports, mix of imports by product type, source countries.
- Analysis by major product sectors - bed linen, filled products, bathroom textiles and table linen & kitchen toweling - share by sector, key overall trends.
- Total bed linen market - analysis of market size by value since 2011, factors influencing market performance and forecasts to 2020.
- Mix by product type - contract and domestic markets.
- Duvet covers - size by value 2011-2020 and factors affecting performance, market characteristics and current trends, polarisation of the market.
- Sheets & pillowcases -size by value 2011-2020 and factors influencing performance, sheet styles and current trends.
- Bedspreads & blankets - size by value 2011-2020, types and current trends.
- Total filled products market - analysis of market size by value since 2011, product mix, factors influencing market and forecast to 2020.
- Duvet market - size by value 2011-2016, factors affecting market and forecasts to 2020, mix of duvets by filling (synthetic/natural), increased penetration of duvets into contract sector.
- Pillow market - size by value 2011-2020, share by product (Synthetic, Latex/Memory, Feather), factors affecting market performance and forecasts to 2020.
- Mattress & pillow protectors and enhancers - value by size demonstrating rapid growth, product types.
- Cushions - size by value, factors influencing market performance and future prospects up to 2020. Cushion covers, interior cushions and those for garden furniture.
BATHROOM TEXTILES, TABLE LINEN & KITCHEN TOWELLING
- Bathroom textiles - size by value 2011-2020, factors influencing market performance and forecasts to 2020.
- Product mix for bathroom textiles - towels, bath mats/pedestal sets - shares, current trends.
- Table linen and kitchen towelling - size by value, factors affecting performance and forecast to 2020, product mix, contract and domestic sectors.
- Market share table of leading suppliers.
- Review of key suppliers in each household textile sector - review of fragmented supply structure.
- Major channels of distribution, market shares by type of outlet in the retail sector - Dept Stores, Variety Stores, Independents, Furnishing Stores, Mail Order/Cat/Internet etc - changing profile of distribution structure, growth of Internet.
- Key growth sectors and future prospects.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The UK market for household textiles increased by 3% in 2015, as a result of consumer confidence remaining high; although market values were affected by high levels of competition and the proliferation of lower cost products on the market which constrained value growth. The market for household textiles in the UK is mature, heavily reliant on replacement purchases and thus susceptible to a range of influences that include levels of consumer and business confidence and spending, levels of discretionary income, and spend on home improvements and home décor. The situation in mid-2016 is uncertain; however, regardless of the underlying economic situation, the purchase of household textiles has always been heavily reliant on replacement purchases. Daily wear and tear of sheets, towels, pillowcases and similar items, and the need to replace them on a regular basis is unavoidable, particularly in the contract sector. Current indications are for growth of around 2-3% in 2016.
Factors that have influenced growth in the past few years include a significant rise in the number of retailers - particularly online retailers - selling a wide range of products at price points to suit all budgets. The market is heavily reliant on imports, and as such is also sensitive to factors such as fluctuating exchange rates, global raw material prices, as well as a rise in the cost of imports from major supply countries, particularly China, which accounts for around a third of UK imports of household linens by value. Bed linen dominates the household textiles product mix in 2016, followed by filled products, bathroom textiles and then table linen/kitchen towelling, which accounts for a smaller share. Factors influencing the bedlinen sectors in recent years have included competitive pricing and year-round discounting, which have been compounded by increasing fragmentation and a burgeoning online market. Lower prices have also shortened replacement cycles, encouraging householders to replace worn or damaged linens more often.
Market growth in the filled products sector has been stimulated by higher demand levels from the hospitals and care homes sector as well as the hospitality sector. Sales of duvets have remained fairly strong, underpinned by continued development in fillings technologies, whilst steady demand from the contract sector has continued to drive sales of pillows, although high levels of competition have continued to constrain value growth. However, another important factor stimulating volume growth has been the extension of ranges within grocery multiples and also discount retailers, with the latter in particular offering filled products for very competitive prices. The market for bathroom textiles has seen growth levels fall since, while demand has remained relatively consistent, value growth has been constrained by low-cost imports, high levels of competition and low-priced towels and bathroom sets from discount retailers.
While the recent economic outlook has been generally positive, the post-Brexit market suggests a number of potential concerns, not the least of which is a fall in consumer confidence and spending. Business confidence may also be affected, although the hospitality sector - a major user of household textile products and an important indicator of the health of the market - is expected to benefit from a weaker pound. However, on a more positive note, household textiles are relatively low-cost items and largely essential rather than luxury items, with some products, such as towels and bedlinen in particular, subject to high levels of wear and tear. While replacement cycles can be extended, the availability of a greater choice of affordable products on the market means that householders have the option of cheaper replacements, should economic circumstances dictate. Current forecasts, indicate steady but modest growth for the household textiles market into the medium-term, with annual growth rates of 1-2% reflecting not only the maturity of the market but also continued polarisation of the market, particularly at the lower-end.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.3.1 Consumer Confidence, Household Spending and Disposable Incomes
- 4.3.2 New House Building
- 4.3.3 House Moving
- 4.4 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS
- 4.5 PRODUCT MIX
- 4.6 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
- 4.7 THE CONTRACT SECTOR
- 4.7.1 The Hospitality Sector
- 4.7.2 Health Clubs, Spas, Salons and Therapy Treatment Centres
- 4.7.3 Public sector
5 BED LINEN
- 5.1 DEFINITIONS
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE
- 5.3 MARKET PROSPECTS
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.5 DUVET COVERS
- 5.5.1 Market Size and Characteristics
- 5.6 SHEETS
- 5.6.1 Market Size
- 5.6.2 Sheet Styles
- 5.7 BEDSPREADS, THROWS AND BED-RUNNERS
- 5.8 PILLOWCASES
- 5.9 BLANKETS
- 5.10 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
6 FILLED PRODUCTS
- 6.1 DEFINITIONS
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 6.3 MARKET PROSPECTS
- 6.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.5 CUSHIONS, SEAT PADS AND CUSHION COVERS
- 6.5.1 Market Size
- 6.5.2 Interior Cushions
- 6.5.3 Cushions for Exterior Use
- 6.6 DUVETS
- 6.6.1 Market Size
- 6.6.2 Mix by Type of Filling
- 6.7 PILLOWS
- 6.7.1 Market Size
- 6.7.2 Product Mix by Type
- 6.8 MATTRESS & PILLOW PROTECTORS, ENHANCERS AND TOPPERS
- 6.8.1 Definition
- 6.8.2 Market Size
- 6.9 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
7 BATHROOM TEXTILES
- 7.1 DEFINITION
- 7.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 7.3 MARKET PROSPECTS
- 7.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 7.4.1 Towels
- 7.4.2 Bath Mat and Pedestal Sets
- 7.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
8 TABLE LINEN & KITCHEN TOWELLING
- 8.1 DEFINITION
- 8.2 PRODUCT MIX
- 8.3 FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 8.4 TABLE LINEN
- 8.4.1 Market Size and Characteristics
- 8.4.2 Contract Sector
- 8.4.3 Domestic Sector
- 8.4.4 International Trade
- 8.5 TEA TOWELS
- 8.5.1 Market Size & Characteristics
- 9.1 SUPPLY STRUCTURE
- 9.2 BED LINEN
- 9.3 FILLED PRODUCTS
- 9.4 BLANKETS AND THROWS
- 9.5 TOWELS AND BATHROOM TEXTILES
- 9.6 TABLE LINEN
- 9.7 OTHER SUPPLIERS
10 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION
- 10.1 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES
- 10.2 DEPARTMENT STORES AND VARIETY STORES
- 10.2.1 Department Stores
- 10.2.2 Variety Stores
- 10.3 INDEPENDENTS AND SPECIALISTS
- 10.4 CATALOGUE STORES & MAIL ORDER
- 10.5 DISCOUNT WAREHOUSES, FURNITURE AND FURNISHING MULTIPLES
- 10.6 OTHERS
- 10.6.1 DIY
- 10.6.2 Internet & Mobile
- 10.6.3 Grocery Multiples
- 10.6.4 Others
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£ M AT MSP)
- CHART 7 HOUSING CONSTRUCTION STARTS, COMPLETIONS AND FORECASTS (GB) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME (000'S)
- CHART 8 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2011 TO 2020 - % BY DWELLING TYPE
- TABLE 9 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED)2011 TO 2015 - BY VOLUME (000'S)
- CHART 10 UK HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES PRODUCT MIX(BED LINEN, FILLED PRODUCTS, BATHROOM TEXTILES, TABLE LINEN, ETC) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 11 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES 2011 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 12 IMPORTS OF HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES PRODUCT MIX 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 13 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR BED LINEN 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 14 UK BED LINEN MARKET PRODUCT MIX (DUVET COVERS, SHEET, PILLOWCASES, BLANKETS, BEDSPREADS/THROWS/RUNNERS) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 15 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR DUVET COVERS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 16 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR SHEETS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 17 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR BEDSPREADS, THROWS AND BED-RUNNERS 2011 TO 2020- BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 18 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR PILLOWCASES 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 19 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR BLANKETS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 20 INTERNATIONAL TRADE FOR BED LINEN 2015 - BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 21 SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR BED LINEN IMPORTS 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 22 SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR BED LINEN IMPORTS 2013 AND 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 23 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR FILLED PRODUCTS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 24 UK MARKET FOR FILLED PRODUCTS MIX (DUVETS, PILLOWS, CUSHIONS, SEAT COVERS, MATTRESS PROTECTORS/ENHANCERS) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 25 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR CUSHIONS, SEAT PADS AND CUSHION COVERS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 26 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR DUVETS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 27 UK DUVET MARKET MIX BY FILLING TYPE (SYNTHETIC & NATURAL) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 28 UK MARKET FOR DUVETS BY FILLING TYPE (SYNTHETIC AND NATURAL) 2011 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 29 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR PILLOWS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 30 UK MARKET FOR PILLOWS MIX BY FILLING TYPE (SYNTHETIC, NATURAL, LATEX/MEMORY FOAM) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 31 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR MATTRESS AND PILLOW PROTECTORS, ENHANCERS AND TOPPERS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 32 INTERNATIONAL TRADE FOR FILLED PRODUCTS 2015 - BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 33 INTERNATIONAL TRADE FOR FILLED PRODUCTS IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 34 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR BATHROOM TEXTILES 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 35 UK BATHOOM TEXTILES MARKET PRODUCT MIX (TOWELS, BATH MATS/PEDESTAL SETS) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 36 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR BATHROOM TEXTILES BY PRODUCT SECTOR 2010 TO 2010 - BY VALUE (£ M AT MSP)
- TABLE 37 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN BATHROOM AND KITCHEN LINEN 2011 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£ M)
- CHART 38 KEY IMPORT SOURCES OF TOILET AND KITCHEN LINEN 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 39 UK TABLE LINEN AND KITCHEN TOWELLING MARKET PRODUCT MIX (TABLE LINEN, TEA TOWELS) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 40 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR TABLE LINEN AND KITCHEN TOWELLING 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 41 COUNTRIES OF ORIGIN FOR IMPORTS OF TABLE LINEN 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 42 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR TEA TOWELS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 43 LEADING SUPPLIERS IN THE UK HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET - MARKET SHARES 2015
- TABLE 44 UK HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2015-16 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 45 MIX OF TEXTILE RETAILERS BY TURNOVER BAND SIZE 2011, 2013 AND 2015