Product Code: Gdn3
AMA Research have published the 12th edition of the report 'Garden Products Distribution Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, the report represents an informed and up-to-date and detailed review of this market. It includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years.
Key areas covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market structure and recent developments in the market.
- Forecasts of market developments - to 2019.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, sector trends and distribution channel shares by product group.
- Product sectors included - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries (garden decoration, fencing, trellis, garden structures, decking, water products, propagation and netting).
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance to 2014/15, with forecasts to 2019.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics.
- Product group analysis - market sizes, influences, trends and distribution channel shares.
- Review of key suppliers for different product categories - product profiles, turnovers etc
- Review of distribution structure - key channels: Garden centres, DIY multiples, High street, Grocery multiples, direct sales, growth of Internet etc.
Some of the companies included:
Amazon, Argos, Asda, B&Q, Barton Grange Garden Centres, Bents Garden Centre, Blue Diamond UK, crocus.co.uk, Dobbies Garden Centres, Freeman Grattan Holdings, Frosts Garden Centre, Garden4Less, Greenfingers Trading, Haskins Garden Centres, Hillier Garden Centres, Hillview Group, Homebase, J D Williams & Company, J Parker Dutch Bulbs, Jersey Choice, Klondyke Garden Centres, Kybotech, Lead the Good Life, Lifestyle Media Group, Longacres Garden Centre, Meika, Next plc, Notcutts, Otter Nurseries, Park Garden Centre, Polhill Garden Centre, Sainsbury's, Scotsdales Nursery and Garden Centre, Screwfix, Shop Direct Limit, Squire's Garden Centres, Tesco, Van Hage, Waitrose, Webbs Garden Centres, Wickes, WM Morrisons Supermarkets, Woodcote Green Garden Centre, Woodthorpe Hall Garden Centres, Wyevale Garden Centres.
Key areas covered in the report include:
THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET
- Domestic garden products market - market definition in terms of product categories included.
- Market size - analysis by value from 2009-2014 and key characteristics of the market.
- Market trends and major factors influencing the sector - including UK economy, performance of housebuilding / housemoving sectors, impact of weather, product trends, attitudes towards gardens etc.
- Market forecasts - market size, prospects and influencing factors on market to 2019.
GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- Overview of supply structure - complex structure with different product sectors having a variety of distribution channels.
- Review of distribution channels - estimated channel shares in 2014 including Garden Centres, DIY multiples, Catalogue, Mail order & Internet, High street & grocery multiples, etc. Continued growth of Internet in particular (mix of sales via Internet), variable positions of Grocery Multiples.
- Product mix within key distribution channels.
- Review of key suppliers in each distribution channel - market shares, turnovers, company structure, key areas of specialization etc.
- Product groups reviewed - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries (garden decoration, fencing, trellis & garden structures, decking, water & transfer products and propagation & netting).
- Product groups - market size 2009-2014 and product mix shares 2014 within each sector. Review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
- Overview of supply structure - evolving market influenced by consumer shopping behavior. Market has a complex structure with various product segments within each major sector experiencing a wide range of distribution channels.
- Identification of main suppliers by product group - product profiles, turnovers etc
- Review of distribution channels - estimated shares of channels including garden centres, DIY multiples, builders merchants, Internet/mail order, independents, grocery multiples etc.
- Review of key suppliers in each distribution channel - turnovers, company structure, key areas of specialization etc.
- Forecasts of market developments - short term prospects in 2015 and medium term prospects up to 2019 - market recovery and growth, product trends, growth of Internet and other changes in distribution etc.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housebuilding, consumer confidence & spending, weather, changing attitudes towards the garden etc.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The UK domestic garden products distribution market has experienced an estimated increase of 8% in 2014 compared to the previous year. Key product sectors in the market are horticulture, garden sundries, garden buildings, garden equipment, garden leisure and garden chemicals. Varying sectors of the garden products distribution market perform differently, e.g. horticulture benefiting from the boom in GYO (to 2010/11 in particular), conservatories returning to growth in 2011, fencing sector performing particularly well in 2014 due to the winter storms and garden leisure benefiting from homeowners increasing use of the garden as an extra room.
Annual growth rates in the sector are influenced by prevailing weather conditions and market performance fluctuations reflect this variability. Also impacting on market performance are the UK economy and consumer confidence & spending, although the sector has tended to cope well with economic downturns, not suffering as badly as some other consumer markets. The market benefits from underlying trends for outdoor living, environmental & nutritional concerns, and an ageing population that are generally more interested in gardening. The number of apartments and smaller size of UK gardens in new properties negatively impacts on the market in the longer term as they require fewer garden products - a trend that is forecast to continue.
Distribution of garden products is complex and fragmented, consisting of a very wide range of products distributed through a range of channels. Garden centres are a key channel for horticulture, while DIY multiples are a key outlet for garden equipment & leisure products, and direct for garden buildings. In terms of product distribution, it is expected that DIY multiples and garden centres will remain the key distribution channels. It is forecast that the Internet and mobile technology as a means of researching and buying products will continue to grow.
Market forecasts are for steady underlying growth to 2019, benefiting from pent up demand in many product areas and a stronger performance in the housebuilding sector in the next couple of years - as well as housemoving levels - though the weather will always impact on the market in any given year. Given the high maturity of most product sectors of the market, underlying growth rates are forecast to be more modest in the medium and long term with underlying annual growth rates of 2-4% to 2019. Although as mentioned previously, development of some niche, less mature products, such as garden rooms and artificial grass, are expected to benefit the market as these will experience slightly higher levels of growth before reaching maturity.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET STRUCTURE
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE
- 4.3.1 Current Performance
- 4.3.2 Future Performance
- 4.3.3 State of the Gardening Products Distribution Market
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.4.1 Consumer characteristics
- 4.4.2 The Housing Market
- 4.4.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions
- 4.4.4 Housing Transactions
- 4.4.5 Other Influences
5. CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION
- 5.1 DISTRIBUTION OF GARDEN PRODUCTS
- 5.1.1 Channel Share Mix
- 5.1.2 Comparative strengths and weaknesses
- 5.2 DIY MULTIPLES
- 5.2.1 Definition
- 5.2.2 Market Size
- 5.2.3 Key Companies
- 5.2.4 Garden Product Mix
- 5.3 GARDEN CENTRES
- 5.3.1 Definition
- 5.3.2 Market Size
- 5.3.3 Market Shares
- 5.3.4 Key Companies
- 5.3.5 Product Mix
- 5.4 GROCERY MULTIPLES AND HIGH STREET
- 5.4.1 Key Companies
- 5.4.2 Garden Products Mix
- 5.5 CATALOGUE STORES / MAIL ORDER / INTERNET SUPPLIERS
- 5.5.1 Key Companies
- 5.5.2 Garden Products Mix
- 5.6 OTHERS
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.2 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 6.2.1 Horticulture
- 6.2.2 Garden Sundries
- 6.2.3 Garden Buildings
- 6.2.4 Garden Equipment
- 6.2.5 Garden Leisure
- 6.2.6 Garden Chemicals
- CHART 1 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS
- TABLE 7 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- TABLE 8 OPPORTUNITIES AND THREATS POSED TO THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET
- CHART 9 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID 2013 ('000)
- TABLE 10 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS - GREAT BRITAIN 2009 TO 2014 BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS)
- CHART 11 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2001-2014
- TABLE 12 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 2009-2015 ('000S)
- CHART 13 UK GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS SHARES MIX, 2014 BY VALUE
- TABLE 14 COMPARISON OF DIY MULTIPLES AND GARDEN CENTRES
- CHART 15 DIY MULTIPLES MARKET - 2009-2014 (£M RSP)
- CHART 16 GARDEN & LEISURE PRODUCTS SHARE BY MAJOR MULTIPLE 2014
- CHART 17 DIY MULTIPLES GARDEN PRODUCT MIX 2014 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 18 UK GARDEN CENTRE MARKET - 2009-2014 (£M RSP)
- TABLE 19 GARDEN CENTRE MARKET SHARES 2014 BY VALUE
- CHART 20 GARDEN CENTRES PRODUCT MIX, 2014 - BY VALUE
- CHART 21 HIGH-STREET & GROCERY MULTIPLES GARDEN PRODUCT MIX 2014 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 22 GB HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2009 - 2014
- CHART 23 CATALOGUE, MAIL-ORDER & INTERNET RETAILERS GARDEN PRODUCT MIX 2014 - BY VALUE
- CHART 24 MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET (HORTICULTURAL, EQUIPMENT, LEISURE, CHEMICALS, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES ETC) 2014 - BY VALUE
- TABLE 25 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC HORTICULTURAL, 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP)
- CHART 26 MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK HORTICULTURAL MARKET (NURSERY & BEDDING, AND BULBS & SEEDS) 2014 - BY VALUE
- CHART 27 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR THE DOMESTIC HORTICULTURAL MARKET - GARDEN CENTRE, MAIL ORDER, DIY, HIGH STREET/GROCERY ETC. 2014 (% BY VALUE)
- CHART 28 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN SUNDRIES, 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP)
- CHART 29 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN SUNDRIES PRODUCT MIX - 2014 % BY VALUE - FENCING & LANDSCAPING, GARDEN DECORATION AND WATERING & PROPAGATION
- TABLE 30 UK FENCING & HARD LANDSCAPING MARKET 2009-2014, BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 31 FENCING & HARD LANDSCAPING PRODUCT MIX - 2014 % BY VALUE PAVING, FENCING, DECKING & AGGREGATES ETC
- TABLE 32 UK GARDEN DECORATION MARKET 2009-2014 BY VALUE (£M RSP) - POTS & PLANTERS, WATER FEATURES, LIGHTING
- CHART 33 MIX OF UK GARDEN DECORATION PRODUCTS, 2014 - % BY VALUE (£M RSP) - POTS /PLANTERS, WATER FEATURES, LIGHTING.
- TABLE 34 UK DOMESTIC WATERING & PROPAGATION PRODUCTS MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 35 WATERING AND PROPAGATION PRODUCTS PRODUCT MIX, 2014 - % BY VALUE (£ RSP)
- CHART 36 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR THE DOMESTIC GARDEN SUNDRIES MARKET, 2014 (% BY VALUE)
- CHART 37 UK MARKET FOR GARDEN BUILDINGS (CONSERVATORIES, SHEDS, GREENHOUSES, GARDEN ROOMS, ETC 2009-2014, BY VALUE (£M AT RSP)
- CHART 38 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDINGS MARKET (CONSERVATORIES, GARDEN ROOMS, SHEDS AND GREENHOUSES) 2014 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 39 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES IN THE GARDEN BUILDING MARKET 2014 - % BY VOLUME
- CHART 40 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN EQUIPMENT, 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP)
- CHART 41 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GARDEN EQUIPMENT MARKET (LAWNMOWERS, POWER TOOLS, HAND TOOLS) 2014 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 42 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR THE DOMESTIC GARDEN EQUIPMENT MARKET (DIY, GARDEN CENTRES, CATALOGUE ETC) 2014 (% BY VALUE)
- CHART 43 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE, 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP)
- CHART 44 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET (FURNITURE, BBQS, ACCESSORIES) 2014 (% BY VALUE)
- TABLE 45 UK GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- TABLE 46 UK BARBECUE MARKET VOLUME & VALUE 2009-2014
- TABLE 47 PRODUCT MIX OF BARBECUES (CHARCOAL, GAS, OTHERS) UK 2014
- TABLE 48 UK GARDEN LEISURE ACCESSORY MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE £M RSP
- TABLE 49 UK DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES FOR GARDEN LEISURE PRODUCTS 2014 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 50 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN CHEMICALS, 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (£M AT RSP)
- CHART 51 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GARDEN CHEMICALS MARKET (LAWNCARE, GROWING MEDIA, FERTILISERS, CONTROL PRODUCTS) 2014 (% BY VALUE)
- CHART 52 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR THE DOMESTIC GARDEN CHEMICALS MARKET, 2014 (% BY VALUE)